clean eating questions... long

VickyWI

Cathlete
How long will it be before I should see weight loss? I started this on the 24th with two cheat days only. It is TTOM now but it looks like I have only lost 3 lbs in that time. I read someone elses post and she has lost 13 lbs. I am kind of discouraged that I haven't done better. My cheat meal was still pretty clean and the other times I eat are very clean. No processed anything. I follow Tusca's day in her book closely because I absolutly love the food. I have been working out too. Weights and cardio, more focus on weights. I drink plenty of water... so why the slow weight loss?

I do feel great! I can't believe my energy and how happy I feel. I do measure inches too and I have only lost .5 inches in my thighs but nothing else. Bummer. I will keep on track though. I love the way I feel. I guess things seem firmer. My husband said something about my butt last night:)

I am supplimenting with Co Q10, Vit C, mulitvitamin, and CLA. I drink whey protein flavored for one snack a day. Could these be keeping the weight on? I also use the entire egg for now. I can't seem to throw out the yolks or take the time to seperate them. I backed down to only eating 5 times a day this week and I am weighing some of my food. My meals are closer to the 400 calories instead of 300. I do eat nuts and oatmeal everyday. I tell myself everyday I didn't gain the weight in one week, I won't loose it all in one week.

Thanks for all your inspiration here. I usually just read the posts but I know I can count on all your help when I have questions.

It sounds like you are doing awesome quite frankly. What you have to remember is, the more weight you need to lose, the more weight you will lose at first, as you start getting closer to your "happy weight" your body slows the weight loss down. So if you are only a few pound from your goal, its going to take longer and its harder then for someone who has more to lose. Does that make sense?
Plus, you are losing bodyfat which is what you want right? Sounds like you feel great! :) I say you are doing really well and I admire you for sticking to your plan.

Hello,

So, it's only been about 2 weeks and you've lost ~3#?? I'd say that's pretty darn good! They say that the slower you lose excess weight, the more likely it'll stay off. Congratualtions on the changes you've made! Keep up the good work!

Deb

It also depends on your starting weight if you have 40 pounds to lose it will be easier to lose but if it is those last 10 pounds, it will take longer. I started back attempting to eat clean yesterday and I have lost one and a half pounds (weight will fluctuate from day to day).

Heck, it's been 2 and a half months for me, and I've only lost 5 pounds! I'd say you're doing GREAT! It does take time, that's for sure!

I'm the one who lost the 13lbs and I can tell you you're doing FANTASTIC. I started this clean eating thing for one reason: Because I wanted to see if it was true that it would break up the fat around my knees, as I was told (IT DOES). Because I could see it was working I've been EXTREMELY rigid about everything that passes through my lips, with few exceptions. The first, thee Almond Joy minis someone at work gave me. I don't regret eating them because it was that-time-of-the-month and nothing else would have satisfied me. I don't crave them at all now but, at the time, they were like three lovely little miracles :). I weigh myself every morning (again, just experimenting) and the morning after the AJs was the first morning in which I'd lost nothing. Then, last night, I ate delivery pizza while watching my team in the college football national championship. This morning I gained THREE POUNDS!!! And I DO regret the pizza because I really did not need it. Other than those two cheats I've been quite strict since 12/24. For the first week I weighed and measured everything I put in my mouth and was shocked at how "off" previous estimates of my portion sizes were. I'm not weighing anything right now but am charting my daily weight to see if it stalls, slows, or starts steadily going up. If my results change then I'll know I can't trust my eyes and it's back to weighing and measuring. I know about the eggs so I use generic Liquid Egg Whites (they come in a milk-style carton and take getting used to), I've not used any artificial sweeteners (they spur hunger in me) except for the very rare Diet Pepsi and have managed to avoid added sugar, mostly. I recently bought some honey and sometimes put a little drizzle in my unsweetened oatmeal, though I usually forget... Point is, for my own reasons, I'm being ridiculously rigid and my results reflect that. They also very quickly reflect when I deviate. Please don't judge yourself by me because I'm after something very specific that requires strictness. You probably aren't so your rate of progress makes perfect sense.

>The more weight you need to lose, the
>more weight you will lose at first, as you start getting
>closer to your "happy weight" your body slows the weight loss
>down.

This is sooooo true. When I started exercising I was at 223lbs. I stopped losing weight, in spite of all the exercise, because my eating hadn't changed. When I began eating clean I was at 194lbs and quickly got down to 180.5lbs. (and back up to 183.5 after The Pizza Episode).

Very large people tend to drop large amounts of weight in the beginning (and men drop faster than women). I'm trying to almost view myself as my own experiment (complete with charts and stuff, like a scientist!) and am interested to see if this slow down happens to me as I get close to where I need to be. I want to see if clean eating and regular exercise trump the slow down. We'll see.

I am no expert but like to read alot . . . here is my take:

It seems to me from what you listed that you are eating, it is quite clean and very healthy. Fruits, nuts, cheese (hopefully low fat and in moderation) will keep you fit enough to get through a good workout which is also essential for good health.

I have seen so many places, articles, internet, doctors on TV, magazines, that state 1 - 2 pounds a week is a HEALTHY loss. Don't get ahead of yourself wanting it too quickly because those are the studies that show the weight is gained back and more.

A personal friend just had lap band - she is quite overweight and has knee problems. Tends to start on programs and then after great weight losses goes back to old habits. She lost quite a bit even before her surgery but then had the surgery anyway. Was very ecstatic at her 30 loss after about 6 weeks and then over the past 6 weeks has lost only 2 pounds. She is not eating clean (at least from what I see at work and restaurants) and I am sure that the types of food and her old habits have slowed her loss down.

Moral of the story . . . you continue with what you are doing - you are making steady, healthy progress.

Great Job ! :7

I say your doing GREAT!
If you have only done this for 2 weeks- 1/2 inch is AWESOME.
Inches are what count- not pounds (my own personal opinion)

Use a little food journal and write your times and portions down. I personally stick to the handful method (its too difficult for me to count calories). Doing this seems to keep me in portion control as well.

I heard somewhere there is a trick to find out the size of your stomach. You fill a 4 cup meauring cup and place it inside a rectangular plastic container or larger bowl. Stick your closed fist inside up to your wrist. Take your hand out. Pour the excess water out from the measuring cup and replace with the stuff that spilled over (or you can subtract 4 cups from what is left in the measuring cup...a little easier) whola...now you know how much food you can eat without over eating. So take your measuring cup out and put your portions inside before serving and you got instant calorie count!

RE: clean eating answer... long too

The only way to lose weight fast is to do it the wrong way. You are doing fantastically well! Every pound you lose this way (the RIGHT way) will be a permanent loss. Most of all, you'll enjoy vibrant health and energy and feel great.

Don't be in a rush. Don't worry about the egg yolk. Egg yolks are squeaky clean. You need to have a way of eating that you can stay with for life, so it's important not to be overly strict. Congratulations!!

(ETA: Just some tips for when you're further down the road: Eventually you may want to stop thinking in terms of "starting" (as in I "started this" on the 24th), and just think "this is the way I eat now". Ultimately, you don't want there to be any starting or ending points. Also, the term "cheat" days has a negative ring to it. Some days you'll eat more than other days, but ultimately your tastes will change so that sugary, empty calorie foods aren't as appealing anymore. But that's for later. Right now, you're doing great!)

RE: clean eating answer... long too

Thank you ladies!!! I feel great reading all your responses. I want to loose all the weight in one day and I know that is not realistic. You all made me stop and look at what has already been accomplished and you are right, it is good. 1-2 lbs a week is what I wanted.

I have changed my thoughts to this is how I eat now I am not on a diet. I love to eat this way and it is easy because it makes me feel great! I have so much energy and I am just happy all the time. I don't say I can't have something because this makes me want it. Chocolate is not off limits but I would only eat a smaller portion. When I had a sweet craving two days ago (TTOM) I ate two dried dates instead of ice cream, candy bar etc. It satified me. I also love shopping and finding all kinds of new foods I didn't know about. I bought the cook book and on Sundays I make enough different things for the week. It has become pretty easy fairly quickly.

Is cheese considered clean? I haven't been eating that and I guess I really don't miss it.

I am so glad to hear about the egg yolks. I don't think I could eat eggs without them. I just use one or two eggs if a recipe calls for more. I cut it down. On thing that works great too is I cook on Sunday and fill all my small containers so I can just grab them when needed.

Can you feel my energy? This is working so well. The scale may not show big numbers but my muscles are starting to show. I am excited about this!

I am 32 years old and 5'6" and starting at 171 lbs. I want to get to 120lbs. Is that realistic??? That is what I weighed in college. I will always eat this way, I am just curious to see how good it will get:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.