Circuit workouts--enough cardio?

thea77

Cathlete
What are your opinions on circuit workouts--if one is trying to lose weight/fat and tone up, do they contain enough cardio for these goals? I am thinking of doing C&W, SJ&P, Circuit Max each one time per week, then adding 60 min of cardio on the treadmill 2-3 of the other days of the week. Just hoping for some feedback/opinions on this...My other choice is to do the CTX series, haven't decided yet! TIA!

-Thea

I've heard that circut workouts burn MORE calories than typical cardio...I only do one per week, with lighter weights, because my form is never as good in a circut than a "standard" weight workout....

I've got SJP and the enitire CTX series...You'll love them! Another one to try is BootCamp...I've heard AWSOME things about that one!

MJ

I've been doing the following rotation lately:
HSTA
Some kind of cardio and abs -Step Blast, Rhythemic Step or an IMAX
HSC
Some kind of cardio and abs
Some kind of cardio
Some kind of total body weight workout (like ME) with about 15 min of cardio tacked on at end

As long as I eat clean, this has been working well, with a slow weight loss and an increase in muscle tone and strength.
The trouble is, I haven't been eating cleanly lately, but the workouts have kept me from gaining weight or losing tone.
I guess I'm saying circuits are working for me....

Something that you need to consider is that some circuit workouts are more intense than others, giving you a greater cardio challenge and requiring more fuel to complete. And when you're talking about "enough cardio" you have to factor in your own fitness capabilities: what is "intense cardio" for a less-conditioned exerciser might be a warm-up for an advanced exerciser.

IMHO, Circuit Max provides the most intensity (for several reasons), SJP provides a more mid-range intensity, and Cardio Weights is the most moderate intensity. I would suggest doing Circuit Max once each week, and SJP OR Cardio Weights that same week alternating weeks. Then do 2 days of treadmill running, and one total-body weightlifting session for a 5th day. And I'd schedule in a Core Max and Stretch Max session as well.

If you've got the Terminator workout from the Intensity Series, I'd add in the Gauntlet workout during your weekly program as well. Majorly intense.

One of the tradeoffs when you're doing a circuit-style workout is that your heart rate drops while you're transitioning over from cardio to weights, and the longer the weight cycle the longer your HR stays lowered. Also, the weights used won't promote strength, only endurance. Therefore, I wouldn't stay too long (in terms of consecutive weeks) with a rotation dominated by circuit workouts. 6-8 weeks is plenty, then retool things.

A-Jock

Thank you!!! I appreciate all the input very much. Unfortunately, I do not have the Terminator DVD...but I will try to figure out a good substitute. I will keep you posted on my results!

Thanks again, Thea

I burn more calories per minute with Circuit Max than any other Cathe workout. Period. Listen to what AJock says - the lady knows her stuff. And have fun. I'm going to a more endurance style weight training, simply because I need to lose weight. I'll get the bloody weight off, then I'll go heavy for definition. I do circuit workouts a lot.

Thanks again for the replies!

A-Jock--for a full body workout, would you suggest something along the lines of MM, ME or MIS? TIA!

-Thea

Hi, Thea! Any of those total body workouts would do fine. In fact, if you have all of them or just more than one of them, you could alternate those every other week as well for a body shock.

A-Jock

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.