Chalean Extreme Initial Impressions

workoutaholic

Cathlete
Hey all, I am not selling anything and this is not a commercial post. I just wanted to give a review of what I've seen, since I have pre-ordered STS and was worried that I might not want it anymore after this. This might even help Cathe a bit. he he

I just got my basic package in, and wanted to give my impression of what I've seen so far to anyone wanting to know. The packaging is really awesome. The guidebook is really top quality, the DVD holder is cool, and really everything looks great. Great recipes too!

As far as the DVDs, I have previewed Burn it Off (the cardio), and Burn Circuit Workout 1.

On Burn it off, I was not impressed at all. It's only 26 minutes, and some of the exercises are intense if you put everything into them, but there are lots of breaks, and I must have seen the cameraman about 5 times. Maybe they did that on purpose, I don't know. No one does anything to the beat, which she also says is on purpose, but I thought that might bother some. Everyone basically goes at their own pace. I am ok with that on lifting, but it bugs me a bit on cardio.

On Burn Circuit 1, it's not much more than 30 minutes. I never saw the cameraman on this one. There are a lot of compound (combination?) moves, but there are some lower body moves where you can go heavy. There are some really slow moves like Cathe's S&H. I am really worried about working total body in such a short amount of time, since I know how much harder you can work with splits.

I am going to try CLX, but all I know is, I am one happy monkey that I ordered STS and I will have it soon!

ETA: Ok, the hubs and my kiddo are asleep, and I've looked at Push workout 1 and Burn intervals. These look much better. Push workouts look like you focus more on one body part at a time and can lift very heavy. Burn intervals looks well done and looks fun, and is more like 45 minutes.

Last edited:
I watched the Learn and Burn and it really bothered me that her husband was looking straight at the camera while doing deadlifts, instead of keeping his head aligned with his spine.

I watched the Learn and Burn and it really bothered me that her husband was looking straight at the camera while doing deadlifts, instead of keeping his head aligned with his spine.

Ahem, there's plenty of that from the men folk on STS too. Must be a guy thing...;)

Awww, this is not good news. I was hoping for a good, new workout and it's not looking good so far!

Mine ought to be here next week so I can then chime in too.

I thought I'd be more tempted to get Xtreme, but I think the price is a lot to pay for something that you can't even really preview. I really like Turbo Jam, but for my weight-lifting workouts, if I had to choose, I'd stick with Cathe.

I was waiting till Jan. I don't have the money now.. but now I'm hearing some not so happy reviews I dunno. I'd like to see clips!!

It is weird that there isn't much in the way of clips, huh? Does anyone want the breakdown of some of the DVDs? Like exercises and such, so you can get an idea of what is really there?

I know I really shouldn't say too much before I've seen and done everything, but it does look better for beginners. STS looks tons, tons harder.

i'm not sure what to think of this workout yet. I got mine today and have only gotten a chance to watch burn circuit one which i thought was ok. i think that these workouts might be a good switch from a heavy rotation. even though you lift heavy in them, its not for multiple sets of the same exercise (at least not in the circuit ones) mabe the strengthening ones are different. i did the ab burner workout today which was good. i'm not sure if i will keep them or not yet. i like the shorter weight training workouts since i can tag on an additional 20-30minutes of cardio keeping my workouts to about an hour. i'll keep you ladies posted though its hard to commit to another instructor when you know how good results can be with cathe

Hmmmmmmmmm...I WAS interested in this workout program. And, I was on the fence about ordering this or STS. I trust Cathe, so STS it will be!
-Jen

I finished a week of the burn circuit and I'm loving it. It's very different from what I've been doing (Gym Style, Jari Love, SS) and I'm lifting the heaviest I can go. I'm very sore. I'm using my Cathe vest with the circuits to add more weight to the lower body.
The burn intervals are 46 minutes long. It is several drills made up of plyo moves and high rep/low weight exercises(bootcamp style). They are intense and Chalene is her usual fun self so there is zero dread factor for me. I love TJ, but I usually have to double them up to get a good workout. Not so with Burn intervals. Burn Cardio is the second cardio workout in the program. It is short, but very intense. It's 26 minutes long but you have 2- 10 minute long segments with 6 plyometric exercises to complete. One minute between drills. I was happy to reach the minute rest segment. I was breathing super heavy! IMO, is a true 20 minute HIIT session. If you do not think it is long enough, you can hit the back button and repeat the drills.

I'm very happy I have this program because I feel it is going to prepare me for the intensity of STS. The clips of STS have me doubting myself.
I am going to do the Burn and Push phase of CLX before I begin STS. It has a lean phase, but that is muscle endurance and I think I can skip that to move on to STS meso 1:)

Cynthia~ VERY happy to read your review! This was more along the lines of what my impressions were after listening to the 30 minute clip last week. I think I'll love it as well! Mine is due next week. Thanks for posting!

I finished a week of the burn circuit and I'm loving it. It's very different from what I've been doing (Gym Style, Jari Love, SS) and I'm lifting the heaviest I can go. I'm very sore. I'm using my Cathe vest with the circuits to add more weight to the lower body.
The burn intervals are 46 minutes long. It is several drills made up of plyo moves and high rep/low weight exercises(bootcamp style). They are intense and Chalene is her usual fun self so there is zero dread factor for me. I love TJ, but I usually have to double them up to get a good workout. Not so with Burn intervals. Burn Cardio is the second cardio workout in the program. It is short, but very intense. It's 26 minutes long but you have 2- 10 minute long segments with 6 plyometric exercises to complete. One minute between drills. I was happy to reach the minute rest segment. I was breathing super heavy! IMO, is a true 20 minute HIIT session. If you do not think it is long enough, you can hit the back button and repeat the drills.

I'm very happy I have this program because I feel it is going to prepare me for the intensity of STS. The clips of STS have me doubting myself.
I am going to do the Burn and Push phase of CLX before I begin STS. It has a lean phase, but that is muscle endurance and I think I can skip that to move on to STS meso 1:)

The key to this program is lifting heavy.

Chalene's motto is "Go heavy, or go home". Also, a there is "No Swingers policy" zero momentum.
You have to fail by the 12th rep.
I'm feeling stressed with the first rep. By the 6th rep, I'm wanting it to be over, and by the 10th rep I'm doubting I can squeeze out any more.
I find myself picking up heavier weights because I do not have to compensate for a lot of sets and reps. I have to get the job done in 12 reps or less. Makes a big difference in the way I'm lifting.

I feel this program is going to help me get the most from STS.:)

Cynthia, that is a great idea (the vest). That makes me feel a little better about not being able to go so heavy with the legs while working the arms. Now only if I had one... : )

I really want Cathe's 20 lb when it comes out if it looks anything like their 10 lb. That little 10 lb is so darn cute.

I'm starting Monday - and I'm doing the whole before/after picture thing and taking measurements. Can't wait to see if this can do what it says it can!

I have a 20lb adjustable X Vest too.
Cathe's vest is cute and very comfy. I overpaid though. I paid full price here and found them at Walmart $15 cheaper. Kind of upset me.
Oh well, I still like the little vest.:)
The X Vest is great, but it's very hot to wear. Perfect for winter. My home gym is in the lower level of my house which is always cooler in the morning.

I got mine yesterday.
I think I'll really like it.
The materials are motivating and informative, the exercise philosophy is in sych with what I want, the pre-test is much less daunting that STS's 100+ exercise 1RM test.

The one thing that really p***s me off is that every single DVD (and the CD) have circular scratches (in the direction of the 'tracks', not deep, look superficial) on them, and some have deeper, small scratches on.

I haven't previewed the DVD's yet, but IMO, even if they play fine now, they might not in the future or on another DVD player because of this. And even if they do, IMO, it's completely unacceptable to pay for new merchandise and not get it in perfect condition.

I'm steaming about this!

I wonder how/if it's possible to get a satisfactory solution to this (ie: DVD's in perfect shape)? Especially with BB's less-than-stellar phone CS (and I ordered through the BB site directly with a discount code, so have no 'coach' to trouble shoot for me). Others on VF have noted the same damage (yes, I consider it damage). I think some are just choosing to live with it (unacceptable!).

For people who are starting CLX and also ordered STS, do you plan to go through the whole CLX program before beginning STS?

I agree about the scratches, Kathryn -- that is just crazy!

-Beth

Kathryn,

I'm glad you noticed the marks. Some women say it is scuffs. I can't see the difference between a scuff and a scratch?:confused: It really bothers me too. I've purchased used dvd's from Blockbuster in better condition:mad:
My son said the very same thing you said. He said the marks can cause the dvd laser to bounce and reflect so the dvd shudders or skips.Maybe not on my current dvd player, but could on another. I tried to clean one of them and the marks did not come off. There have been reports of freezing and skipping. One gal reported a weird burn in type shadow that moves across the screen. I think BB has a production problem. Hopefully, they will take care of it like they did with Tony's ab dvd. They sent out new dvd's to everyone.

I left a message on Carl's blog. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I don't want to send them back because I'm using them!! Darn it! :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.