cardio or weights when limited time??

wellness

Cathlete
Which is a better w/o when your limited on time : cardio or weights ?
There are times when I only have 30 min. :)

Weights. Your metabolism remains elevated for a longer period of time after a weight session than a cardio session.

But, as always, let your muscles rest 48 hours so if you did full body weights the day before, stick with cardio.

Another vote for weights.
With cardio you burn more cals per minute but once the workout is over the calorie-torching is over.
With weights the burn just keeps on burnin'!

And don't forget to eat some protein when you're done!

Ditto what the above posters said. I always tell people IF they would have to choose, do circuit weight training in a supersetting style (exercises back to back with little or no rest). It still burns calories and even is known to increase VO2 Max, in small increments (but not as much as cardio) But it does keep your metabolism going far longer. Clarissa :)

Another vote for weights from personal experience.

I can skip cardio workouts when busy and not regress, but I always regress (gain weight / increase body fat % / look pudgier) when I am doing only 30-40 min cardio 4-5 times a week.

I also notice that cardio fitness is easier to work back to after a break than weight training.

Circuit style weight training or heavyish traditional weight training - both work for me.

This has been my experience since age 35. Before that, any exercise, even just cardio was good enough during busy periods.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.