Can you help me decide if I should renew Fitness Mag. ....

BAM

Cathlete
Hi. I'm trying to reduce the amount of "stuff" I have to read. I only subscribe to Fitness Magazine and Health. It takes me awhile to find time to read them. My Fitness subscription is up for renewal. I generally will rip out pages of different exercises or of skin care, hair care or other products of interest. Then I file them (when I actually get a chance to file x( ) and figure I'll look at it when I get organized. Well.......haven't made it to that organized part yet. Even though I save various exercises from the magazine, I really don't do them. I "think" I may someday. I generally like following videos and rarely do exercises without them. So, here comes my dilemma. It's not going to cost me a whole lot to renew but will it cost me in my stress level of having something else to look through, tear out things I want to save, file them and then basically having only the comfort of knowing it's there if I find the time to reference them. If I don't renew, what will I be missing? HELP! I can't stand these decisions!!! :eek:

Bam

What about unsubscribing and just looking at their website now and then when you have time? Its free, and then no more paper clutter, either.

Nan

Nan, I could look at their website. Do they have ads on it like the actual magazine?

Cathy, sometimes I enjoy it and sometimes not. I think I'd have a hard time not clipping things out.

Maybe I could not renew at this time and in the future, if I find the time, I guess I could start it up again. I always think I'm missing something, though. *sigh*

Thanks for your input!!!!!

Bam

RE: Can you help me decide if I should renew Fitness Ma...

Hi Bam,

I was having the same problem -- clipping out all these workout articles that were just taking up space in the room where I work out since I only do DVD's. I finally stopped ripping them out a few months ago, knowing that I'd never do them. There are a few magazines where I'll save the entire issue, but otherwise I just rip out recipes, beauty stuff, etc. and file that right away.

HTH!:)

Thanks Leanne but I'm not sure if you're helping me or enabling me! :+ I'm in such a fed up mood right now with all the papers that are in my house. I certainly have good intentions when I save things but geesh, how many saved things do we really use or look at? Perhaps I need to just break free of the hold this stuff has on me. It goes beyond magazine articles. I just can't stand a lot of stuff. It's not all mine. My mother lives with me and she has her stuff too! I like having uncluttered space but haven't had the opportunity to enjoy that in my life, like uh, ever! ;(

Bam

I was a subscriber for over 10 years and didn't renew it last year. I find that the workouts weren't ever as good as I had hoped for. Also, the models are just skinny. They are 5 ft 10 in and weigh hardly anything. I don't think that is really promoting healthy living. It is one less thing to recycle too.

It sounds like it's more of a bother to you than a good resource. If you dread throwing things out, yet don't have time to really devote to the magazine, then you should probably just let it go. If you find that you are missing it, then you can always re-subscribe. Lots of magazines will keep sending you notices to re-new at an even better rate after your subscription has expired, so the opportunity to re-new at a low price is probably not going to be lost if you decide to do so.

>>>.....It is one less thing to recycle too.....>>>

Mabdoo, I absolutely agree with you! :)

>>>It sounds like it's more of a bother to you than a good resource. If you dread throwing things out, yet don't have time to really devote to the magazine, then you should probably just let it go. If you find that you are missing it, then you can always re-subscribe. Lots of magazines will keep sending you notices to re-new at an even better rate after your subscription has expired, so the opportunity to re-new at a low price is probably not going to be lost if you decide to do so.>>>

Angie, I think you really hit it. It does sound more like a bother at this point. I'm sure if let it go for now, I'm not going to miss the one solution to all fitness issues or the one product that will replace 100. I already had quite a good deal but they can always improve on that.

O.K., no renewal it is! Thanks everyone!!!:) :) :)

Bam

I subscribe to Shape and the exercises they recommend are the same ones I do with Cathe. And the diet/exercise routines of the actors they portray on the cover are just amazing how they can maintain a size 0 doing the same stuff I do with Cathe, yet I'm not near that size. And I usually find magazines are full of more advertisements than anything.
Barb From Vegas

i agree with the AP, I let all of my magazines go, I am sick of recycling them all and I have enough to recycle with all of the catalogs I get in the mail that I don't subscribe to anyhow. I still have 6 months of People left however (I somehow got talked into that one for DD school fundraiser). I think any info you may want could be found on line!

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread BUT I was interviewed by phone for Fitness Magazine and they said it would come out in the April 14th. edition. I bought it at the store that day and brought it home as I didn't have time to leaf thru it at the store and there was NO article I could find? It was about using home workouts to get in shape and of course, I highlighted Cathe. I called the number of the guy who interviewed me to ask when it would be in and he never returned my call. Maybe it won't be in after all. Sorry Bam, that doesn't help YOU! Ha!

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid8692709

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie") http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-066.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance, I Hope You DANCE!

Other than reading what Debbie had to say, I can't say Fitness it worth my time. It's geared toward the beginning exerciser and i have noticed that if you read all your magazines together you'll start reading about the same tidbits--I think they must read the same RSS feeds! I stick to Oxygen (which is has its cheesy aspects) Muscle & Fitness Hers, and On Fitness. I save the rest of my magazine subs for the Economist and the New Yorker---very exciting, eh? ;-)

I love when things are a consensus! Thanks again everyone!

Debbie, what a let down. That's just scummy to me especially to not even return your phone call. Another reason to confirm I'm making a good decision. :)

Bam

Hi Bam, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt since I DID call him Friday, late afternoon. I am thinking maybe he doesn't return calls on the weekends but may during the work week. I'll let you know IF & WHEN I hear from him. If he calls, should I tell him that you MIGHT reconsider prescribing again SINCE he returned my call? Ha!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie") http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-066.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance, I Hope You DANCE!

Debbie, it was this past Friday that you called? Then perhaps you will hear back from him. Definitely let me know.

>>...If he calls, should I tell him that you MIGHT reconsider prescribing again SINCE he returned my call? Ha!>>

Yeah, but I may need some persuading.......like a year or two free!
:7

Bam

Don't file those ripped-out pages because you'll NEVER look at them again, until you clean out your file cabinet (a.k.a. Temporary Trash Can). I just spent my entire eight-day "vacation" doing nothing but house cleaning and de-cluttering. I started out being precious, afraid to throw out all kinds of stuff. But after some six laundry baskets filled with "important" stuff I wound up throwing out nearly all of it. After years of 12-hour days, actually scheduling time to throw out all that stuff was like a giant weight off my shoulders. Who knew taking out the trash could be so therapeutic. My new mantra: WHEN IN DOUBT, THROW IT OUT (or donate)... I cancelled 10 of my 13 magazine subscriptions (!), even tossing magazines I never got around to reading and knew I never would (all those murdered trees). You do Cathe, right? So what do you need all those magazine editorials for? Have you ever actually built a workout around them? As for renewing, if you don't devour the magazine when it arrives and you have to ask for opinions, you already know the answer. It's just more clutter neither you nor your house need.

SirenSongWoman, you're a woman after my own heart. I also have adopted the mantra of "when in doubt, throw it out," but I wasn't sure I was in doubt about the articles. :) I'm so glad you have de-cluttered your house. It truly is a cathartic experience. I've been planning on doing that type of cleaning for well over a year and I'm getting close. Your post may help me get there quicker. I've even considered taking time off from work to do exactly that. All that stuff is just weighing me down. I need to free myself from all that junk. I might need you for some motivation either to get started or when I do start, or better yet, whatcha doin' the next week or so? :7

Bam

Re: Yeah, but I may need some persuading.......like a year or two free!

LOL! I'll see what I can do for ya! :7 :7 :7

I'm going through something similar.

I have a collection of back issues of several fitness magazines (with dog-earred pages--my version of tearing out pages!), and just the other day, I decided I don't need them all, and put quite a few on a pile to donate to my local library.

So many magazine (like Fitness) seem to repeat the same things over and over, with slight variations. And many of them have the same info as other magazines. (Though I'll admit, sometimes those variations, or a bit of new info convinces me to buy them).

I currently subscribe only to Women's Health, and pick up "Muscle and Fitness Hers" on the newsstand, but I'm probably not going to buy the latter very often any more. I'd rather get my info from books, which are more detailed, less redundant, and full of more info (usually by more reputable sources).

I'd say donate or toss most of the mags you have now, and cancel your subscription.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.