Can someone help me get started w Cardio Coach

taterkc

Cathlete
I've heard lots of positive feedback about Cardio Coach and would like to give it a try. Especially because I may soon be spending a few weeks at a time in a hotel with only a treadmill and not my step bench!

Are the volumes just different music, etc or do they progress in difficulty (vol 1 easiest, vol 4 harder, etc.)?

If you have an iPod, do you get them from iTunes or from his website?

I've done Cathe step/floor aerobics for about 5 years now, but have no idea what level I might be at for a treadmill or eliptical workout?

can anyone help a beginner to this? Thanks so much!!:)

Where's Miss Lee when you need her? She is my Cardio Coach expert! I only have Vol. 1. I love it! You download from the website and he gives you great instructions on how to do it and put it in your iTunes folder! Many of the others are more familiar with the different volumes than I am! I am new to Cardio Coach too, but I can tell you downloading the ones you want is easy! Choosing which volumes is the hard part!

Yup, Miss Lee is our resident expert on all things CC.

In my opinion, they do get progressively harder, vol 8 is def harder than vol 1. They way I see it, 1-3 are more beginner, 4 and 6 are more intermediate, and 5,7,8 are the hardest. But that is just my opinion. Remember, you are working at your exertion levels for this, no one else's. With that, you'll have to fiddle with the treadmill or elliptical to get the settings right the 1st couple times, and then you'll know. I've never used CC on a treadmill, only for ellip and outdoor running. Also, as you get better, your settings will change, so the workout can grow with you. I don't think you'll ever find it easy. If it is, you need to bump it up a notch, bc you're not at the level he tells you to be. They way I see it, level one is a putter stroll thru the park, level 2 is a brisk walk, level 3 is this is tough, not sure I really want to do this, and level 4 is I'M GONNA DIE!!!!!

Seriously, though, the workouts rock - you gotta get them. I started w/ Vol 5, so it holds a special place in my heart, but 7 is prob my fave, followed closely by 8. I don't do the other ones so much, I bought them to round out my collection, but they are good workouts. Their a bit shorter, so they are good for days you are pressed for time or aren't feeling a longer workout. Also, once you get all of them, you can mix and match to your heart's content. I've been meaning to make my own CC mix, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Nan

Hi there!

I have CC volumes 4-8 and I use them outdoors - I think they are among my best-ever fitness purchases.

Volume 4 is definitely my favorite, the one I go to even if I think I don't feel like doing a workout. It's about 45 minutes, and like all the CC workouts, it's broken into interval cardio "challenges" balanced with steady-state rests.

There's music - it's sort of "Enigma"-like trance dance and even though I didn't think that would appeal to me much, it's actually great for cardio. Coach Sean talks you through the workout - he explains what setting your equipment should be on, whether you should be on a hill or on a flat stretch of ground, etc. He has a nice voice!

Volume 5 is the "Press Play" workout, and this one is my least favorite, although many others like this one a lot. Something about the sequence of intervals just doesn't work for me.

I have Volume 6 with Candace instead of Coach Sean, and while I enjoy the workout, I find her narration of the workout a little weird. But totally not annoying, and like I said, a good workout.

Volumes 7 and 8 clock in at around an hour and have longer, more challenging interval sections. I really like both if these, too, but I have to have a lot of energy to tackle them.

With any of the workouts, you can adapt them to pretty much any type of cardio. I take them running, and if there's not a hill there when I need one, I ramp up the intensity by doing walking lunges or high knees or something. You could do these while walking, jogging, indoor cycling, treadmilling, elliptical-ling, whatever. And they REALLY make the time go by faster.

So, in short, my recommendation for a real crowd-pleaser would be Volume 4. I'm sure others will chime in with more opinions and details and suggestions, but that's mine. I think it's a solid workout, and a good introduction to what Cardio Coach is all about.

Good luck and let us know which one you choose and what you think!

Did somebody ask about Cardio Coach!?

My Seandar was up. :p :D

OMG there's a BACK TO SCHOOL VOLUME DISCOUNT SALE IN THE CARDIO COACH STORE!!!!! You might as well get them all because you will anyway. ;) :D

I think Nan and Afreet summed things up pretty well. The volumes get progressively more difficult, but that's because the challenges are longer and some, like Volume 4, have very short recovery periods. But make no mistake about it, Volumes 1 through 3 are great workouts and I use them on days when I want the intensity but I don't have an hour to devote to working out. And since I have trouble with step and kickboxing, I use Volumes 1 through 3 whenever I do Cathe's 4-DS rotation. I also used CC with STS.

Volumes 5 and 7 are great for runners because they have a faster tempo. Volume 8 is really tough. It has you working against resistance throughout the entire workout. I love this one on the elliptical -- it has a slower tempo but I know some people who love it for running, too. The other volumes have an excellent mix of hills, sprints, and treks. Any workout is good for anyone at any fitness level, and for any piece of cardio equipment.

This will help you understand the levels and zones: http://www.cardiocoach.com/cc_quickstart.php

The music is original and was composed for the workouts. I would describe it as world or trance/enigma, and it's very much like a movie score. It's AWESOME!!! I love it!! I even bought the instrumental versions of the workouts because I love the music so much.

Oh, and Volume 5 is NOT the Press Play workout! Press Play is a compilation of Volumes 1 through 7. You can get it here for a $20 donation http://www.jimmaclaren.com/shop.htm

HTH!! :D

ETA that the Press Play workout is really incredible! It's not merely a re-editing of Volumes 1 through 7 -- it includes excerpts from an interview Sean O'Malley did with Jim MacClaren, a former athlete who was paralyzed after 2 life threatening accidents. We have a Press Play Saturday check in on the last Saturday of the month right here in the OD forum. Anyone is welcome to join us!

Last edited:
Coach Sean talks you through the workout - he explains what setting your equipment should be on, whether you should be on a hill or on a flat stretch of ground, etc. He has a nice voice!

Yeah, Coach Sean lures you in with his silky, sexy voice, and then he kicks your patooty all over the place! :eek: :D

I have Volume 6 with Candace instead of Coach Sean, and while I enjoy the workout, I find her narration of the workout a little weird. But totally not annoying, and like I said, a good workout.
Volume 6 with Candace is no longer available. Sean's is better anyway. Candace's version is the only CC workout I ever got rid of. ;)

I just had to chime in here and agree with Michele. You might as well get all of them because you are going to LOVE them. :) I've done a few on a spinning bike but for the most part I use them exclusively running outside.

But above all...

Press Play is the number one best! I have never felt stronger or happier during a killer workout! Jim McClaren (and of course Sean) will motivate you far beyond what you believed you could do. You have to check it out. Jim is truly an inspiration every time I do it. It's a very emotional workout for me (and many others).

Plus next Saturday (29th) is Press Play Saturday!! It is the most amazing group of people here on this forum who do Press Play together around the same time, with so much positive energy being sent out for those who need it. I'm sure the check-in will be started here soon, usually in Open Discussion. And the more the merrier, without a doubt.

Welcome to Cardio Coach Land! :D

Becky

I third the vote to get them all during his last sale.

Sean is very motivating. He chimes in exactly when you need him to. The music is very good also.

I thought because I am not a runner I would be unable to do these workouts but you can tailor them to fit your needs. I use them outdoors for walk/run intervals and they are AWESOME!!!

Currently I am doing the couch to 5k so I'm not using them as much at the moment.

Jenn

I would get them all too! I love LOVE them for winter indoor cycling or elliptical. There's nothing like it, and you can progress one after another they are all different. You can't beat the price right now!

Thanks for the detailed feedback everyone! I'm looking forward to giving these a try!
Oh hey, I was just on the CC website and I noticed that he changed the sale. You can get any 5 CC workouts for only $29.95!!! That's a GREAT offer!!!! Let us know what you get. :D

Enablers! All of you!! Well I just started dating this guy who has run 26 MARATHONS!!! Now I feel bad about my lack of running experience...maybe Coach Sean can whoop my butt into shape!

At least you know he has endurance and stamina ;):cool::p;)

Nan
Nan, you are SO bad!!! ROTFLOL!!!!

Enablers! All of you!! Well I just started dating this guy who has run 26 MARATHONS!!! Now I feel bad about my lack of running experience...maybe Coach Sean can whoop my butt into shape!
Another one bites the dust!!! :p :D
You won't regret your decision. ;)

I just wanted to pop over and strongly encourage anyone who does not have all the Cardio Coach Volumes to zoom over to Sean's website and get THEM ALL!!!! :eek::eek::p This is one purchase you will never regret!! ;)

Taterkc -- Please let us know what you think of your first CC workout!!!

My .02

I bought all 8 volumes and PUMP at a sale, but have only done Volumes 1 and 2 so far. I'm easing my way in. However, I've listened to all of them when travelling, I love the music and Sean's voice.
Cardio Coach is a great motivator and makes exercising on a machine fun. I had found treadmills and ellipticals so BORING until I found CC.

I LOVE CC. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would like running. I got all my cardio work through aerobics, kickboxing (all in my livingroom on DVDs) Two years ago I purchased CC 1-4 and it has totally changed my workout life. I don't use them in the winter, as I don't belong to a gym and hate running in the cold......but I think I might actually joing a gym this year, just so I can use them. The music, the constant motivating voice of Sean, the intervals, challenges, etc. are all amazing. I did Vol. 4 this morning and my heart rate monitor said I burned 563 calories. What I love about CC is that I just have to put on my sneakers and "go." There's no equipment setup with a step, no TV to look at, just me and the road. There's nothing like the feeling of completing a CC workout....and I never have the dread factor that I so often do with other workouts. By the way I purchased alll the others, just haven't done 6-8 yet. On my 52nd birthday the other day, I gave myself a "gift" by doing Volume 5 (which is hard for me). I felt like a 25 year old after completing it.
Paula

I LOVE CC. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would like running. I got all my cardio work through aerobics, kickboxing (all in my livingroom on DVDs) Two years ago I purchased CC 1-4 and it has totally changed my workout life. I don't use them in the winter, as I don't belong to a gym and hate running in the cold......but I think I might actually joing a gym this year, just so I can use them. The music, the constant motivating voice of Sean, the intervals, challenges, etc. are all amazing. I did Vol. 4 this morning and my heart rate monitor said I burned 563 calories. What I love about CC is that I just have to put on my sneakers and "go." There's no equipment setup with a step, no TV to look at, just me and the road. There's nothing like the feeling of completing a CC workout....and I never have the dread factor that I so often do with other workouts. By the way I purchased alll the others, just haven't done 6-8 yet. On my 52nd birthday the other day, I gave myself a "gift" by doing Volume 5 (which is hard for me). I felt like a 25 year old after completing it.
Paula
Paula, I've been doing CC for 3 years now, but until recently I had only ever done them on an elliptical. I JUST started using them to run outside. I'm 54 years old and have never run before, but I felt strongly that I needed to add a little variety to my workouts. I never knew running could be this much fun! Using CC outdoors adds a whole new dimension to the workouts. I've been thinking about joining a gym, too, just so I can have access to a treadmill. If you join a gym you should try CC on an elliptical! And I'd love to do them on a bike. After all, Sean is a spin instructor and he tests the workouts on his spin class. Do you have the Press Play workout? You should get it and join us for Press Play Saturday (always the last Saturday of the month)! http://www.jimmaclaren.com/shop.htm

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.