Calling Beavs and Allwildgirl ...

Liann

Cathlete
and anyone else who wants to chime in.

I'm SICK and TIRED of all the music on my ipod and I need some new stuff. I especially need some stuff for when I am running on the treadmill - upbeat and the harder the better. You guys always seem to know all the groups they don't play on the radio. Any suggestions for groups/songs? I have Napster, so I can get about anything. I just do not know where to start. The stuff they play on the radio around here is crap - Nickleback, Gwen, Beyonce (gag), etc... (no offence to those of you who like those people. ;) However, if I do hear another Nickelback song again while driving to work, I think I'm going to veer into a Semi and end my misery!

Hmmmm...tell me more about your musical taste and maybe I can help. Are ya a Slayer kinda girl...maybe Hot Hot Heat, Beastie Boys, Mary J. Blige? Is there a particular decade you seem to be drawn too. Maybe you're a new wave freak who like Morrissey. hmmmm It helps to know your musical leanings to some degree. I hope others chime in too 'cause I always like to discover something new.

Beavs - I'm a Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold, Atreyu, Breaking Benjamin, Linkin Park, 3 Days Grace, 12 Stones kind of girl. Not a Mary J. Blige type at all! ;) I lost interest in Metallica a while ago though and I'm falling out of love with the other groups quickly too. I'm a sucker for a guitar solo - actually asked DH for an electric guitar for next Christmas - bet you wouldn't have guessed that! ;) I do like mellow stuff too and I'm open to all kind of genres - except for Country. Can't handle that!

I'd recommend some hard-driving Tool, like Jambi or Rosetta Stoned, but you can't download Tool anywhere.

Hmmmmmmmm... okay. How about Korn? Got the Life is an incredible running song. Do you like techno/trance? If so, I have lots of recommendations there. Plush by STP, Born Slippy by Underworld, how about some Disturbed? I'll have a look through my stuff and see what else I can come up with:)

I am not a metal aficionado but I'll give it a whirl (I think Shelley will have more)

Classic punk and metal: Judas Priest, Dio, Iron Maiden (my SO just heard "Run for the Hills" for the first time today!), Led Zeppelin (dig deeper than the radio cuts), Blue Cheer (one of the first true metal records from about 1967--awesome!), Black Sabbath, Thin Lizzy, Pantera, Rainbow, Cream, Clash, Black Flag, Bad Brains, Joy Division, Buzzcocks, Danzig, Misfits, Samhain, Patti Smith, Pogues, GBH

and the less than classic perhaps...
Gangsta B!tch Barbie (later known as Nullset), Ultraspank, Slipknot, Alien Ant Farm, Mudvayne, Hot Hot Heat, Ultraspank, Down, Damageplan

And how can you not own G Love and Special Sauce????? (not metal but dang cool)

What about some Nirvana? Or Foo Fighters? System of a Down? They're not my fave (can't stand Serge Tankien's voice), but it is some good hard driving music. There's some great Beasties that might quality - Sabotage or So Whatcha Want.

Jesus Built My Hot by Ministry, More Human than Human by White Zombie, Hey Man, Nice Shot by Filter....

Lol, I knew you guys would have some suggestions. Now that we have my running playlist taken care of, any suggestion for some lighter tunes too? I'm always hearing references to songs I've never heard before on the OAL thread and I'd love to check out some of what you guys listen to. I'm a well rounded gal. ;)

Random suggestions:

Dido
Corrine Bailey Rae
Lily Allen
Derek Trucks Band
Susan Tedeschi
Janis Joplin
Allman Bros
PJ Harvey
Ben Harper
Joni Mitchell
Jack Johnson
Massive Attack
Groove Armada
Bob Marley
Sublime
Grateful Dead
Pixies
Radiohead
Bjork
Tori Amos
Kings of Leon
Southern Culture on the Skids

Static X?

I like them. I used to be a metal head but now I listen to just about aything. I like the older static x album that has "push it" and "im with stupid" (i think those are the titles lol..i cant remember anything this late at nite).

When their songs come up on my ipod it always makes me run faster :)

>Liann,
>
>Can you get 'XPN where you are in PA? In Philly, it's 88.5.
>They're always discovering new artists and play an interesting
>mix. http://www.xpn.org/
>
>[font face="bradley hand itc" size=+2]~Cathy[/font]
>
>http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee296/runninteach/exercise/th_SnowBunny_tns.jpg
>http://img16.glitterfy.com/53/glitterfy084824T933D37.gif
>
>"Do you want to feel my spatula?" Run, Fat Boy, Run

Cathy - I wish! Philly has some great stations. When I drove to the RT last year, I heard tons of new songs that they never play around here. We get next to nothing where I'm at. We pick up a few MD stations and 1 or 2 York stations and that is about it. :( No Philly stuff.

BTW, you can catch some interesting music on www.somafm.com There are about six or seven different stations that play some far out tunes (which can be nice if you are working on your compuker all day)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.