Birthday Party Loot Bags

allwildgirl

Cathlete
My DD is having a birthday party next weekend. She's turning 10. We're only having a few girls (3) and going bowling and then I'm taking them to a restaurant for dinner. I don't want to do the same old boring loot bags filled with junk. Does anyone have any brilliant ideas for what I could do instead that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg?

Any help would be appreciated.

Shelley:

When you have a party at your house with just games etc, then yes, loot bags are a given because you give the kids something in return for the present they buy your daughter.

However, when you take the invitees bowling and then to a restaurant, no loot bags are required because you have already bought and given them something in return: dinner and bowling fun.

Last weekend my daughter had her party at our house and we sent quite some time making an art project which cost me a good $60 in supplies. The girls carefully covered a basic journal with fabulous velvet fabric and added a brocade/ribbon as bookmark and a sequined motif on the cover as decoration. This was their going home gift and no amount of plastic junk or chocolate was required. All the girls loved this project.

I will never go back to gift bags again: there will always be a something better to replace it, something original.

Seriously, taking them bowling and for dinner is a treat enough!

Clare

Ok, before I can answer your question I need to know WTH a "loot bag" is.... ;)

Just kidding, Shell. I'm assuming it's the same as what I know to be a "goody bag".

I agree with Clare, though. You're not just having a party at your house with some games and cake. You're taking them bowling, out for dinner, etc. I don't see any need for a loot/goody ;) bag in this situation.

As far as not putting junk in the bags though...I'm no help. I love putting as much candy as I can fit in those things. The more crap, the better. I was always so p*ssed as a kid when I'd get a goody bag at a birthday party and the parents had filled the thing with pretzels and pencils. Save your money, parents. I'd rather have no goody bag than one filled with stickers and goldfish.... :):D :p ;)

Allison

Thanks Clare. You know, I never thought of it that way, but you're right!

And your project sounds gorgeous. I want one!

Shelley, I agree with Clare. Dinner and a night of bowling seems more than adequate and a night they will long remember. I actually think that by age 10 girls probably aren't quite as interested in loot bags anyway -- or if they are, they probably want expensive loot :p

I have to offer a different view, ladies. Around here, the kids ALWAYS expect a goody bag... even if they've been taken out to dinner, etc. Candy is most definitely desired by the attendees, and they also like little trinkets from places like Claire's. Maybe it's different where you all live... but here the bag is a requirement for the party giver!;-)

Shelley,

What about some little tubes of lipgloss for each girl? Just a little something she can take home with her? Plus they will spend the time at the bowling alley, applying and reapplying!:) You can find these for cheap at places like Bath and Bodyworks, not sure if you have those in Canada?
But I also agree, you are doing quite enough already! Your Sophie is a lucky girl.:)

I kind of agree with the poster who said goody bags are expected and wanted by the guests. Even if it is just a little something. My DS, 7 gets excited by the goody bag no matter what is in it but yes he likes the candy best.
LD

My 7 year old went to a b-day last year and came home with a little plant. It was just a 2.99 flower in a small vase and instructions on how to take care of it. She LOVED it. It was so nice her coming home with that and not all the crap that goes in those goody bags. Just a thought:)

Susan

When the h#ll did loot bags come into vogue? My DD is 20 and we haven't had a party for her since she was about 13, but I always thought the party was to honor the birthday child. Cake, ice cream and games was always enough in this old fart's day. We had slumber parties, rollerskating partys, retileland partys, but never sent the guests home with more then memories and a tummy ache.

>When the h#ll did loot bags come into vogue? My DD is 20 and
>we haven't had a party for her since she was about 13, but I
>always thought the party was to honor the birthday child.
>Cake, ice cream and games was always enough in this old fart's
>day. We had slumber parties, rollerskating partys, retileland
>partys, but never sent the guests home with more then memories
>and a tummy ache.

Here here and amen, sister!

Nothing says goody bag like a bill for their share of the party.

Debbie

I don't want to take a pill. Go to Africa, go follow some bushman around. He's being chased by a lion. That's stress. You're not going to find a pygmy on Paxil, I'll tell you that right now.
-Ellen Degeneres

Where we live, goody/loot bags are still standard and my DD is 12. Kids expect them and nobody wants to be the parent who draws the line and says "I spent too much on you little ingrates already and I have a migraine to boot!" This time of year, you could give nice ornaments. One box from Target and you're set.

Another thought is plain white undershirts. Have the kids write messages on them to each other with Sharpies in assorted colors. (permanent markers). The tees should be oversized enough so they'll be comfortable for sleeping. (You could roll them up and tie them with a big ribbon so they look like a gift when you hand them out.)

Good luck and BTW, how was your weekend in Buffalo? Did you and DD have fun? I grew up outside Buffalo and still have family in the area so I'm there at least once a year.

Jonahnah
Chocolate IS the answer, regardless of the question.

Thanks for all the advice and ideas! Deb... ahem.... I'll talk to you later:p

I think I will do something small. As some previous posters said, even though I'm footing the bill for bowling and dinner, the kids still expect something and I don't wanna be the Grinch who doesn't give out goody bags.

Last year at Christmas I got DD a little kit that had a body scrubbie, some sparkly shower gel, comb, mirror, etc. I think it was pretty reasonable, so maybe I'll see if I can find something like that for the girls.

And Jonahnah, thanks for asking about our weekend in Buffalo. We had a grand time, and came home exhausted!

We used to give gift certificates to places like Dairy Queen or McDonalds in the goody bags - that was before gift cards and we would give a couple of dollars per kid. My sister-in-law is crafty and she just had a party for my niece where they made fuzzy flip-flops and she said that the girls loved them. I like the lip gloss idea, too - they have some really fun flavors. Or some small containers of scented lotion. We used to have water-gun parties for our boys in the summer and we would provide water guns for the guests and that would be their party favors.

ETA - we posted at the same time - I think your idea sounds wonderful.

Erica

Wow, you got some great ideas. I love the velvet covered book one.

My daughter wants a horse themed party, so I went to Dover Publications and bought each girl a horses of the world coloring book, horse tattoos, horse stickers, and horse postcards. I figure its better than a lot of crappy plastic stuff made China.

I was going to do a horse craft too, but the whole thing is just getting aggrevating.

Could I just outlaw birthdays?

I hate it and I love it.

Maggie the Curmudgeon:) x( :)

I personally hate goody bags. Not making them or giving them but DD recieving them. I end up throwing away more filled goody bags because she is uninterested in anything in them. They go into her room and remain untouched until I clean.

My DSD will be turning 10 in January also. Shelley hit the dollar store if you have them in Canada. You can get loads of stuff for a dollar. Lip gloss, nail polish, stickers, etc. It won't cost you a lot. But bowling and out to dinner is more than enough on your part.

Jenn

I like the gift card idea. Since it's just three girls, how about $10 gift card to Claire's or some girly shop. Or even build-a-bear... My boys both are having a party together (turning 6 and 3) in a few weeks, and I am having to make the crappy goody bags because we have 22 kids invited. I like smaller crowds because you can do something really neat and special.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.