Which Birth Control is best?

beehappy

Because of cysts I need to get back on birth control. I have gotten sick from birth control before. What types of birth control have worked best for you?

All hormonal forms, whether the pill or Nuvaring (which I really liked for the first 2 years, so simple, no fuss, skin cleared up, no weight gain), eventually gave me such rampant and serious migraines (one every other day) that I have had to give up on the idea altogether.

So, I guess I'd have to say that the diaphragm was, for me, the easiest and most successful: barrier method, absolutely no side effects at all. And no, we didn't feel that It interrupted matters, so not inconvenient either.

However, if you have finished your family, I'd consider the non-hormonal IUD. I had one for a little while: insertion was not painful and was quite quick, once it is in, you can't feel a thing, no hormones to worry about.

It's a very personal decision and depends a lot on your age, health and personality.

Clare

I take Yasmin even though the law suits have been damaging, it's low dose, and doesn't make me nauseous like other b/c pills have. I take it for endometriosis and to prevent cysts. I was diagnosed with PCOS at 21 years of age. But, then the doctors changed their minds (or my exercise, diet, fish oil, and Evening primrose oil did it's trick).

I understand that some acupuncturists can help with cysts/endometriosis. I haven't tried that yet (finances:eek:. )

Have you had a notch surgery on your ovary? They say it can help with cysts.

Mircette. I started taking it in 2000 and it made my periods disappear. Low-dose BCP. I'm 51 and it's helping me avoid the worst of menopausal symptoms.

Not trying to be a smart ass, but I couldn't resist. After five children, menopause is the best birth control ever. No thoughts, no worries, the best. Sorry, just couldn't resist.;)

For me, Loestrin.

I have the same problems--synthetic birth control makes me ill, but I had to take a few rounds to rid my body of cysts. Loestrin was the first birth control medication I have used that did not make me feel nauseous or have brain fog/headaches.

Last edited:
I've taken low dose Minovral which was actually part of my treatment for migraines, unlike Clare who experienced migraines while taking hormones. I didn't really have any side effects except occasional spotting but then again i had to take 9 weeks in a row, one week off kind of regimen for the migraine therapy.

I've been on a few over the years:
Orthocyclen (was eventually too strong and gave me 7 day migraines)
Then Mircette, which I was on for almost 12 years. It was great.
Post baby and post Essure, I'm back on Yaz to manage my uncontrollable moods and painful ovulation.

If you are done with kids/not having them, the Paragard IUD, or Essure are great non hormonal solutions. Essure is permanent. 30 minutes and you're done forever. Paragard lasts 12 years.

But you will find that BC varies widely by individual, and trial and error may be your best bet.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.