Bird's Nest In Wreath On Front Door

Madonna

Cathlete
Some birds have decided to build a nest in the wreath on our front door. I dont really mind, however, my brother said the nest would leave a bad spot on the door. Also, I dont know if it will cause some other problems later on.

What would you do, let them stay, or take down the nest?

Love,

Madonna

I would take the wreath and put it in a tree. The birds could spread diseases, too so I'd be careful and put it in the tree anyway. It's safer for the bird and their babies. I always get excited when I find a bird's nest with babies chirping in it. :) Put it in a safe spot in the tree. The wreath might get ruined anyway from the poop and all if it was still on the door.

I would definitely move it. Having a nest on your front door isn't great for you, for your door or for the birds, as you keep going in and out. Take the wreath and put it somewhere close by but more secluded. They'll find it. A few years ago a robin built her next in a hanging basket on my porch, right next the stairs. So I waited until she was away, and I moved the basket to another hook further away from the stairs and front door. She came back and was a little confused at first, but she found it in a minute.:)

We had the same thing happen to us, except ours was in a basket hanging on our front door. I kept the nest there because the birds had babies (so cute!) and I thought they would be safer in there. But I felt bad because every time we opened the door, the parent birds would fly off! Eventually they abandoned the nest and we took the basket down for good! We experienced no problems and my kids loved peeking in at the babies (but no touching!)

kerrie

The same thing happened to my Grandmother some years back. She left the wreath on her door and all the grandchildren loved watching the baby birds. It wasn't a problem I think in part because everyone used the side door to her house, not the front door where the nest was. As far as poop, I don't remember that being a problem, but these were tiny birds.

Thanks for all you comments girls. I knew someone would come up with something I didnt think about and that was the bird droppings. I really dont want people coming to the front door and seeing lots of bird droppings. That would be unsightly and, like another poster said, could carry disease. For those of you that had bird nests in your hanging planters, did you notice a lot of droppings?

We use our front door. We use the garage door the most but still use the front door too. When people come to visit, they always use our front door and I dont want them stepping over a lot of droppings on the porch to come in the house.

It depends on the type of a bird. If it's small, you might not have much droppings but sometimes the nest smells. I live on a farm and we have a lot of birds nests all over. Another thing is you could have a predator going after the babies and they could make a lot of noise at the door. I'd put them in a very safe spot until the babies fly away.

If there are no eggs yet, and mom isn't brooding, then you can get rid of the nest and they will rebuild elsewhere. I had a very determined robin try to build a nest on a cluster of junk on the corner of my front porch(a bag of that material you put on the ground over new grass seeds; a couple of tomato cages propped up against it). The poor guy spent all day building it, and was probably very upset when I tore it apart (no nesting had started, and it was a very bad location for a nest because it would get a lot of traffic most days).

I'm sure that once there are people using the front door, the birds themselves won't think it's a prime location anymore.

Also, if you have any pets, make sure to move the wreath. I learned the hard way. My Vizsla pup, being a bird hunter, snagged the first poor little bird trying to fly. She didn't mean to hurt it and was bringing it to me, but even as soft as her mouth was she did too much damage to the poor bird.

Colleen

You guys have made a lot of good points.

I have a cat and I dont want him jumping out the door to attack a poor, innocent baby bird. I guess I need to move the nest. I hate to since they are God's little creatures and that is where they chose to have babies but I may not have any choice.

Enjoy it! My neice rehabilitates wildlife and she brought a newly hatched baby bird to yoga to feed even during her practice and it was tiny and naked and hadn't opened it's eyes yet. It had a bit of fluff that looked like a itty bitty boa on it's head and it behind. Precious! It's Spring! :)
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? - Mary Oliver

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.