BFFM week of 9/26

xschwarz

Cathlete
A new week for all Burners, that much closer to each of our goals.

Welcome to the newest Burners TK and Robin. Robin, I assume those pictures were taken on your cell phone camera on self-timer! You look amazing, like TK, it's apparent that you put a lot of time and effort into your fitness regime.

Can you share a typical days menu with the rest of us Burners to help us get motivated?

FFD, I had a slight moment of insanity where I almost wanted to "hide" from this learning group as my weekend was not nearly clran enough. But then I liked the idea of being accountable despite the speed bump in my journey.

I found that even though I didn't stay clean while dining out and touring some Vermont wineries and cheese, I had it in the forefront of my mind. I made the best choiced that were available and most importantly...I KEPT ON BURNING WITH CARDIO.

My work for toady is to re-read Chapter 1, and re-visit all my goals which are written down.

Run this am, followed by ME premix, upper body split.

Burn, Baby, Burn!

Hi Burners,

I finally remembered to take my body fat percentage this morning and the omron gizmo says my body fat is down .7%. So according to a quick calculation I did this morning, it looks like all weight lost is fat/water not muscle. I'll have to double check my calculation this evening when I get a few minutes and record it on my spreadsheet. Still yet to do is my measurements.

X, since you asked, here's pretty much what I've been eating this past week. Keep in mind I'm only starting week 2 right now so I'm still tweaking it a little. My average daily calories according to Fitday is between 1400-1500 and the average breakdown of carbs/protein/fat is 40/40/20.

post workout - 1 scoop protein powder blended with 5 strawberries and ice
midmorning - 1/2 cup (measured dry) oatmeal with either a piece of fruit, 1 T peanut butter, 1 T chopped nuts, or 1/2 C milk mixed in (but not protein powder LOL), coffee
lunch - 1 cup fat free cottage cheese with fruit or half of a whole wheat english muffin
midafternoon - 3 ounces chicken on whole grain bread with raw veggies or fruit
evening - usually 3-6 ounces chicken with a salad, olive oil and vinegar dressing. Depending on the calorie usage/breakdown for the day I might add 1/2 C plain yogurt with a little SF/FF pudding mix mixed in or a baked yam.

Last night I made up my workout schedule for the upcoming month. I'm aiming toward 5 one hour cardio and 3 one hour weight sessions per week. This is over six days with one day rest a week. The rotation is loosely based on a rotation Cathe posted for Jan or Feb 2005. It's supposed to be a fat blaster, which is what I need!

And 'X', don't worry about any transgressions you may have had over the weekend. Today's a new day. And like BFFM says, it's better to burn it off with exercise than dieting it off. So pump it up!!

Welcome Robin!

FFD - 150 unclean calories out of 1400 is hardly even a blip. It sounds like you're doing great. There are a few things I really like to have frequently that are unclean (lite cool whip is one, FF half and half, SF/FF pudding, lite hot dogs). I guess as long as we don't go crazy on them it should be okay.

Happy burning everyone!

Hey Burners!!!
Hope everyone is having a good day. I'm in Dallas today and not able to workout, but I am watching what I am eating and doing well there. I'll have to pump up the cardio when I get home on Wednesday.

TK - you're an inspiration! I need to sit down and create a workout schedule for the next 30 days too. I am going to focus more on cardio with one day of upper body so that my arms don't get flabby.

Gotta run -
Take care all!!
Lizzy

Hi everyone,
I have a question about the eating. It seems as though I am hungry around 7:30 or so at night. I eat at 6:30, 9:30, 12:30, 3:30 and 6pm now. Would it be horrible to stretch some of the meals out to 3 1/2 or 4 hrs so that my final meal comes around the 7:30 mark or is it better to find a low fat, low cal "snack" to have? I seem to want everything in site if I don't eat at this time. Some nights I am able to resist and others I completely blow it because I am hungry. Any opinions out there? Thanks for the help! Vicky

Hi everyone!!

Future - I think if you make allowances for your treat, I think you will be just fine. You did good today.

Welcome Robin - I'm sure you will be able to give us ideas.

X - Glad you decided not to hide and to take ownership of your eating.

TK - Great going on the BF%.

Lizzy - Have a safe trip home.

Vicky - I usually save the fruit from dinner and add some type of protein with it about 7:00. That way I'm not starving by bedtime. I try to get in bed between 9 & 9:30. I think if you are hungry you should eat something.

Well I did pretty good today with proportions. I had 1500 calories 18% fat, 48 % carbs and 33% protein. I drank 160 oz. of water. My workout was 10 minutes on the elliptical, YZ ball sculpt and WP Back.

Saturday I will officially start the program with a weigh in and measuring. I think I will work on keeping the calories between 1600 & 1800 to start. I'll work from there. I've had a good 3 weeks of practice with food. I'm almost finished with CH. 10 of the book.

Have a good evening everyone!!! :)

Hi Burners,

I did pretty good today although I had to increase the suggested meat and carb portions of the meals (heck, I would starve on 1400 cal or 1600 cal a day).

Bkfst - Salmon 4.5 ounces, Brown Rice 3/4 cup and cup green beans
Snack- Meal Replacement Shake....(tough to eat at work)
Lunch- Salmon 4.5 ounces, Brown Rice 3/4 cup and cup green beans (yep, had to have it again...it was so good at breakfast...I buy them at Whole Foods already prepared.)
Snack- yogurt and protein powder
Dinner- 2 Lobster Tails, small steak, steamed Veges and a Salad with oil and vinegar

I'm still a little hungry and I miss my pretzels (my only weakness) and diet RC....ah, such is life. I even passed on the wine at dinner... Hopefully, I will gain some muscle out of this... :)

X, I wouldn't worry about being too perfect with meals....I'm sure there will be days where pretzels and wine will be sneaking into my menu too..hehehe.

Robin:9

Lost a pound on the scale this week. :) But when I did the calipers it showed that I lost 4.09 of fat and gained 3.1 in lean mass! Yea! :) :) I guess I will continue doing what I'm doing, cycling between 1640 calories on my low day, 2300 on my high day. I've also been trying to do cardio 6 days a week, weights two day split (PUB/PLB) with another day of full body weight training. It's a lot for me, but I want to lose this body fat!! :p

I do wonder if I should focus more on the cardio, as fat loss is my main goal right now.

Hello Ladies,

Welcome Robin!

Vicky- I don’t eat every 3 hours either. I know I’m hungrier in the afternoon so in the morning I eat every 4 hours. Following your time plan I would eat at 6:30, 10:30,13:30, 16:30, 19:30. If you are hungry in the morning I think you can eat a small snack with protein for ex: Cottage cheese with fruit.

Lizzy- I hope you have a great time in Dallas!

TK and X – Great workouts!

3rd week with the plan. I did great on Sunday. I had my cheat meal yesterday: 1 South Beach Bar and Kashi Waffles with sugar free jam. Believe or not I craved for “normal”BFFM food after this meal.
This is my high cal day and I ate 1171 cal so far. 15%F,57%C,27%P.
I think I will drink a protein shake for dinner.
Today was my weigh in day and I lost 1lbs. I’m just fine with that.
I did my 30 minutes spinning. I will see how I feel tomorrow and if I’m ok than I will try to do another session later this week.

Krisztina

Oh, no my lion just didn't show up in my previous post. I hope this time he will be with me!

Marsha- congrats for the fat loss.

Vicky,
I always eat later too! I would end up waking up in the middle of the night to eat if I didn't eat a little later in the evening. ;-) I think if you follow the basic plan it should be just fine.:)

Robin

Questions for Robin and all Burners,

Noticed you use meal replacement shake because of ease at work...I can understand that. What brand do you use? What are the cal's, fat, carbs and protein, if you don't mind.

Do you weigh your protein out? If you use a scale...what kind?

Finally, I see in yesterday's plan that you don't eat oatmeal or whole wheat bread. Is this intentional? Do you focus on lower carb?

This am did KPC and sweat my booty off! I think I need to add a second workout at the end of the day. Anyone else have any thoughts on that?

Talk to you all soon,

X

Nice work USA! It is so inspiring to read about your progress. I am not sure whether I should go back to using those calipers each week instead of relying on the scale for BF%.

What have you been doing for Cathe workouts?

X

Hi x and other burners,

KPC is a workout I haven't done in a long while and honestly can't remember what it's like. So it's a real sweatfest, huh? A good sweatfest after a weekend always feels so good (afterwards at least LOL).

Funny you ask about weighing food. I weigh all my meat on a kitchen scale and use measuring cups and spoons for everything else. Since joining Weight Watchers three years ago, weighing and measuring food is a habit I've kept up with. I have never been able to eyeball portion sizes. I guess that why I needed to go to Weight Watchers to begin with.

I will put yesterday's and today's workouts under the heading of 'what was I thinking??'. Yesterday morning wasn't so bad with a mish mosh of 10-10-10 and Step and Intervals, but where it went astray is that I decided to do 'Meaner' Legs last night. Then first thing this morning I cued up a mish mosh of Low Max blast only premix with Step Blast Challenge (including the 3 intervals). All on an 8 inch step. Let's just say this morning's trip up the stairwell to my office was very slow. My poor legs! I swear all of us must have an underlying need to punish ourselves day in and day out.

Yesterday 1368 calories at 41/41/18. A little low on the calories but I'll try to bump it up some today. Funny thing (actually a good thing) about BFFM is that I feel like I'm full all the time so by the time I get to the end of the day I'm actually tired of eating!

Later all...

Hi Burners,

Bkfst- Oatmeal, eggwhites, 1 egg, banana
Snack- Oatmeal, protein, banana
Lunch-Chicken breast, 1 cup Brown Rice, Grilled Asparagus, large salad, olive, vinegar, udo's choice Oil
Snack-meal replacement shake
Dinner-Chicken Breast, Broccoli, Salad, red peppers,

I definitely did not drink enough water today.
x( I don't like water very much but I am trying. I was a bit tired all day. Maybe it's because I don't have all that caffeine from all those diet RC's I usually drink.

I did GS Back this morning but I still need to do some aerobics this evening. I'm following Debbie's September rotation (One Body Part a Week) and want to start her new one she just posted next Monday. The results are just so good.

As for protein powders I have simply protein by EAS...115 cal/2gm fat/21gm protein....and a new one I haven't tried yet by Beach Body....110cal/1.5gm fat/ 18gm protein. I always mix them with other food so I'm not sure how they taste alone.

For meal replacement shakes I like Prolab Naturally Lean Matrix Cinnamon Oatmeal flavor....195cal/4gm fat/ 20gm protein. It's yummy and mixes into a thick shake with plain water. I also like Advocare shakes...but they don't mix into thick shakes...220cal/3gm fat/24gm protein. The vanilla tastes like a pina colada...just throw a little rum in it and an umbrella and a cherry...ooops, I forgot, that's not on the BFFM plan...hehehe;-) . Ah, wishfull thinking. :)

I hope I helped.
Robin:+

TK,
Your post is going to give me enough energy to do KPC...which was on my schedule for today even though I'm feeling a little lethargic this evening. :) I am hoping for a second wind.

Thanks,
Robin

Robin - you crack me up!!!! That is the puuuuuuuuurfect protein shake as far as I am concerned!!!

TK - what's a mish mosh??? I'm still learning these Cathe terms.

I have KPC and have not done it yet - sounds like a good one to do tomorrow!! It will be good to be back in the routine again. It's funny how your body does miss it - although not enough to keep me away from not so BFFM food 100% of the time! ;-)

Marsha - xxxxxxxxxxxcelent job on the loss!! You go girl!!!

X - I will post my vanilla powder info tomorrow. It's a low carb one, and it's sooooooooo good!! I have Shaklee's too, but that one just doesn't have the tastiness of the Whey one I have. It's the only way that I can get my protein ratios to what I want for the day. And there are just sweet enough for me not to crave anythingelse sweet.

Vicky - I think if you are hungry you should eat something. If you can keep it two hours before you go to bed, you shoud be OK - and if it's more protein then it should fill you up longer. Maybe a piece of cheese? I am one that eats in the middle of the night if I am not full when I go to bed. I have been known to wake up and eat 1/2 a bag of Milano cookies - all in a quasy(sp?) sleep. Not a good thing!!!

Talk to you guys manana -
Lizzy

Hi everyone!!

Marsha - Great going on the BF loss. WTG!!!!

1456 calories today -20% F, 48% C, 32% P, 160 oz. of water. I'm feeling full on this amount but I am doing lighter workouts. I will probably be ravenous next week when I kick back into gear.

Workout: 40 minute walk/run on tm and a 20 minute yoga workout.

You are all doing great!!! Looking forward to hearing about more of your successes.

Take care.

Hey Lizzie,

A mish mosh is when you create a new workout by taking some DVD chapters from one workout and combining it with chapters from other workouts. Cathe DVDs are very nicely chaptered so that you can make endless combinations. I recently purchased a programmable 5 disc DVD changer that allows me to skip back and forth quite easily.

There's a woman who goes by the screen name of 'Aquajock' who posts on this board freqently. She makes up some killer mish moshes. Here's a link to a couple of them as an example...

http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?..._id=127440&mesg_id=127440&listing_type=search

http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?..._id=126594&mesg_id=126594&listing_type=search

Happy Wednesday, Burners!

My plan of gradually decreasing unclean calories has been a good one for helping me focus - I'm taking it down a bit more slowly than originally planned ;-) but its getting there. What do you do for coffee creamer? Thinking of getting some vanilla Soymilk (those flavored International Foods creamers are addictive!)

Other adjustments I'm going to make are incorporating more beans/sweet potatoes as carbs and cutting down on the whole grain bread. I want A grade foods to be the staple and B grade foods to be occasional.

This is my 3rd day of not working out (I'm supposed to be on 4 day break according to Cathe) and I'm itching to get back to it. Next is Slow and Heavy, which I've never done before! YAY!!!

I wish I could remember everyone's name, I like to comment on what you've been doing. Overall comment though is that this really seems to be working for people. Just reading your body fat numbers going down, down, down... so inspiring!!!!

I'm so glad to be doing this with all of you!

Hi everyone!
It has been kind of up and down for me this week. I have followed my meal plan perfectly until the evening sets in. I had low fat pop corn Monday night and last night I ended up eating some toast and other things around 8:30pm --- bad! I am looking at changing up my eating times to help out and also "allow" myself to have a 200 cal or less snack in the early evening to see if it helps. I am hungry and I think it is because of my workouts and lower calories. I did my calorie count for the day and I am in at 1621 calories total. I completed IMAX2 this morning and I feel pretty good. I am really struggling with water consumption. I just don't like it! I do drink tea with splenda and flavored water to help out. I have a goal now, we are leaving for Hawaii on Jan 29th!!! 18 weeks to loose 15 lbs. I can do it! Vicky

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.