best time to workout

fitmema

I know this is an age old question, but when do you guys think is the best time to work out? I find I have more energy in the mornings but more focus in the evenings, anyone else feeling the same?:cool:

Over the years, I've worked out both in the mornings and in the evenings and I prefer mornings. When I workout first-thing in the morning, I eliminate any "distractions" that would otherwise keep me from working out at night. It's a great way to start the day! :)

I also prefer to workout in the mornings. Even if that means waking up before 5am, but if I oversleep and miss my workout I try my hardest to do it in the evenings. You can google this and find different opinions on the matter. If you have a day with both cardio and weights, I've read that a split routine where you do your cardio in the mornings and weight training at night works great, most articles you'll find will say do cardio in the mornings, and weights in the evenings, but I think the best time to workout is whenever you feel like it. Also, there are several types of workouts you can do besides cardio or weights (yoga, ballet barre, pilates, etc.) so the time to do them is whenever you can fit them in your day. I am an expert when it comes to finding out excuses not to workout if I can't do it first thing in the morning, but I know I have to, even if I'm tired from work, I eat something with carbs about an hour before, and start my routine.

Over the years, I've worked out both in the mornings and in the evenings and I prefer mornings. When I workout first-thing in the morning, I eliminate any "distractions" that would otherwise keep me from working out at night. It's a great way to start the day! :)

Same here 5am morning is my most prefered time slot.
It sets my day:):):)

I never work out before about 5 pm. I am a night time person and I go to bed anywhere from 1 am to 6 am, so morning workouts? No way in hell!

So, over the years I have found myself working out, either at home or at the gym (open 24.7, yippee!) anywhere from 5 pm through to 4 am (which is a night time workout for my body clock), whenever I can finally stop doing things for the family and work and focus on myself. It also depends upon my teaching schedule: 9am classes means no late night workouts....and certainly no morning ones either!

The "best" time for you to workout is totally an individual thing and it depends on many factors: as you say, energy and focus levels, versus family and work commitments, etc, etc. Maybe you do cardio in the am to make the lost of that energy you have, and you weight train later when you have better focus?

"Best" time to workout? There's no 1 answer.

Clare

Best time to exercise

I am a 5 o'clock (AM that is ) kinda guy but my wife could never attempt any type of exercise in the morning...every biological clock is different!!

I think I'll try 4:00 AM again for a little while, you have all been SUPER helpful thank you all sooooooooo much! Have a great day!!!!!:D

I've always trained in the morning. But lately, commitments have made it difficult to get to bed early enough so I am not just going through the motions of a workout at 4:00am. So now I workout in the evening, after work. My alarm rings at 6:00am. Eight hours of sleep feels so good. You have to workout, when it works for you.

Last edited:

Hi Lucy,

I have seen your blog article "Fitting it all" It does cover the topic of this thread.

Could not agree more on making the time.:):):)
As it has been quoted above, sleep is very important:)

Hi Lucy, I have seen your blog article "Fitting it all" It does cover the topic of this thread. Could not agree more on making the time.:):):) As it has been quoted above, sleep is very important:)

I'm so glad you had a chance to read my article. Exercise really is just like anything else in life...make it a priority and it will get done!

Although, I will admit that I'm sort of looking forward to the summer months when my kids don't have school and I can "sleep in" until 4:40am, instead of 4am. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.