Best Paleo book

str8shooter

Cathlete
Hi ladies, to those following the paleo diet what book have you found to be most helpful. I have GERD and am tired of having to take Zantac everyday. It's been so bad I've had to take PPI's like Prilosec to calm things down. I'd rather not take these meds as I know they just cause more problems. Any advice or sample eating plans would be appreciated.
Thanks, Amy

Amy, I follow a paleo type diet due to the fact I am allergic to all grains, soy and dairy. All of the recipes I have used I have found by simply doing a google search for paleo recipes. I have been told, however, Well Fed is a good book for paleo recipes.

I post paleo recipes on my website for my clients and would be happy to share that with you if you want to contact me with a private message. I do not believe I can post that in this thread as I believe it would be considered marketing.

I am not a doctor and am not offering medical advice; however, I did want to mention I have had more than one Naturopathic Doctor tell me GERD is a lack of stomach acids and anti-acid medications make the issue worse. If a person did not want to go the route of adding in an HCL supplement you could simply try a tablespoon or more of raw apple cider vinegar prior to eating a meal and see if that would be enough to assist your body in producing more stomach acids.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice ladies. I have heard the same thing about GERD and not producing enough stomach acid and I've heard of using apple cider vinegar. I will try that before meals. I'm hoping to start eliminating more processed foods from my diet. My husband is finally on board so that will help. Also, I have tried digestive enzymes and do believe they help. Thanks for reminding me I need to buy some ;-). I eat pretty clean for most of the day, dinner is usually the exception sometimes. I only eat Greek yogurt and very small amount of cheese as far a dairy goes. I do eat soy protein in my shake in the morning as I think I need it for my low hormone levels it seems to be working for me. I guess I need to do more of a modified paleo or basically just cut out processed food.

I too have GERD and I've tried meds for it and the last time I took one, ended up in the emergency room. The meds they gave me are normally given to children but my system didn't want anything to do with it.

When my stomach reacts that's the time I use enzymes tablets, like papaya or DGL. They certainly work in my case.

I started with Loren Cordain's diet and cookbook. As long as I stick with real food (not processed) I do very well. I don't eat grains, soy or gluten, they make me sick, not at first though. If I do eat grains, it starts off with my skin. It feels not smooth with lots of bumps. When I don't eat grains my skin is velvety smooth. I do use Quinoa and non-gluten oatmeal even brown rice sometimes. For meatloaf, meatballs, stuffed peppers... Not often though.

Also added low cost homemade probiotics to my system. These are lacto-fermented foods that have the good bacteria you need for a good gut. It's not a full list only what I like to use. Milk and Water Kefir (water Kefir makes a drink much like pop, but healthy), kombucha (I like the water kefir better, it's much easier to make), sauerkraut, pickles, Kimchi... However, the last three foods use a lot of salt. If you want to cut down on salt add 1 tablespoon of whey to each pint of food you want to ferment or 1 tablespoon of brine from a previous ferment to each new pint of food you want to ferment. Then continue following the recipe. Once, I made so much sauerkraut that I was still eating it after a year and it still was crunchy. And the flavor was so delicious. Note: Using sugar in the water kefir is essential, but the bacteria eat most of it away.

I make yogurt out of milk kefir for even more health benefits. Then make Greek yogurt out of that and use the whey to make the fermented foods. I don't use sugar unless its from the fruit and it's pulp in with my kefir/yogurt then freeze it in these little pop cycle molds. If you want to have it sweeter, then use a little Stevia. They are about 1/4 cup each. It's good for calcium too. So is chia seeds by the way.

People have been preserving/fermenting these foods way before the Industrial Revolution.

I mention calcium because the body needs it. When you get calcium tablets from the store, I found out with research it can cause heart problems and can reek havoc with GERD patience. My doctor confirmed this as well. Remember to take vitamin D it helps with your bones.

Recommended vegetables from Cordain it a very good place to start. I still haven't gone beyond what he suggests. Still there is such a humungous variety of foods to eat.

Using nuts and seeds are a good place to take in good fats. Avocado's are fantastic for dressings. Again I use the homemade milk kefir/Greek yogurt to the avocado.

I know it's hard to find grass fed/roam free meat, if you have a source for that, I'd use it. If not, get the most lean meat you can and enjoy.

All these recipes are found on the internet and it's rewarding knowing the benefits you are eating with the most rich nutrient based foods on this planet.

Hope this helps,

Janie

Last edited:
It Starts With Food by Melissa Hartwig is fabulous. I read this before doing a Whole 30 and it completely changed how I think about food. It made such a difference on how I feel!

I bought the cookbook Against All Grain by Danielle Walker - thanks for the recommendation Janie! It's has beautiful photography of the finished dish, love this. I've been using it for a few weeks now and it's excellent so far. The author has a website/blog? (againstallgrain.com). I haven't checked it out yet, but it might be worth it.

I don't know about books, but I have found that lemon juice in a glass of water helps with my stomach digestion. Its also supposed to be good for kidney stones too.

Thanks for all the great ideas ladies now I just have to implement them.
Janie- sounds like you have your stomach issues well under control. That's awesome that you are so involved with the processing of your food. Honestly, I don't think I'd have the time or will power to adhere to such a diet. I'm going to start with baby steps but I do really appreciate hearing what you and everyone else have found helpful for this unfortunate condition we have.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.