Bathroom scale recommendations

nancy324

Cathlete
We need a new bathroom scale. I think we will pass on the ones that supposedly measure body fat because they don't seem to be very accurate. It's also not that easy to find a regular weight scale that is accurate and consistent. Does anyone have one that they find to be truly accurate and consistent? Although I know they are best, we don't have room for a doctor's-office scale. Thanks.

Also, any thoughts about Rowenta brand scales?

-Nancy

I have a Tanita scale. It does measure body fat, but nowhere near accurately. However, it measures weight beautifully, even as little as one pound. I've tested all my dumbbells, just to be sure, and it is always right on the money. I'd recommend the brand -- just not for body fat measurement.

Shari

Nancy,
I have a plain old cheap scale, and adjusted it after weighing for my physical at the doctor's office. Now I just keep it set 7 lb's higher than normal.

I have a Tanita that measures the body fat and I rarely use that feature as I prefer my calipers to do that. Mine does a great job with the weight factor.
I picked mine up at Linens n Things, since I'm on WW I just found out that they now carry the ones that weigh to 1/10th of a pound.

I use a Tanita also. I bought one of the less expensive ones that has less settings for "users"..you input your height and age into it..which helps with the body fat measurements. If you're just using it for weight, you can still use the same setting for anyone that wants to use the scale.

I don't pay attention to the body fat part of the scale though it is an option.

I have a Tanita scale too. Why is the body fat percentage not accurate? Do you guys think it measures too high or too low and by how much? I'm just curious.

I also saw on the side of the box that it's not intended for athletes...something about anyone with a resting heart rate less than 60? My resting heart rate is 55 so I'm wondering why that is. Maybe because of the body fat calculations? I'm not sure.

I have a Tanita scale and it measures weight very nicely, to the tenth pound. If I listened to the body fat measurement I would need therapy though. My scale tells me every morning that I'm about 33 % fat. I have been taking careful caliper measurments for years and right now I'm at 18.6 % body fat. That's a huge difference! I have no idea how the Tanita can be so far off. I know the impedence method is prone to error but geez! It is twice as high on the scale. I'll stick with my calipers. I'm interested in hearing if other's with Tanitas are so far off in the body fat.

My Tanita is also waaay off on the body fat measurement. It shows me at 45%, although I'm actually closer to 23%. I've read that being muscular throws off the calculations, so I assume (hope) that's the problem. Otherwise, though, it's a reliable scale.

Shari

Does anyone have a scale that they periodically compare to the one at the gym or the dr's office, so that they know that it is in fact accurate? Although I'm more interested in consistency than in accuracy, it would be nice to have both. Thanks.
-Nancy

Shari and Ducky

>I have a Tanita scale and it measures weight very nicely, to
>the tenth pound. If I listened to the body fat measurement I
>would need therapy though. My scale tells me every morning
>that I'm about 33 % fat. I have been taking careful caliper
>measurments for years and right now I'm at 18.6 % body fat.
>That's a huge difference! I have no idea how the Tanita can be
>so far off. I know the impedence method is prone to error but
>geez! It is twice as high on the scale. I'll stick with my
>calipers. I'm interested in hearing if other's with Tanitas
>are so far off in the body fat.

Shari and Ducky!

Thank goodness you two posted!! My Tanita says I'm at 29% bodyfat and I'm VERY solid, so that really threw me off. I'm going to order some calipers asap!!!

I have a Tanita too...as everyone says, ignore the fat percentage stuff. As a scale, it's awesome. We have a very good accurate scale where I work & my Tanita reading is virtually identical.
Love it!
Ruth:)

I use an old scale at work that dates back to about 1970. It's right on the money--weighs the same as the double beam scale at my gym.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.