BARBELL QUESTION

Stacy

Cathlete
I currently have a 5 ft standard 25mm grip diameter barbell. Hubby wants to get a new one, a 7ft, Olympic 28mm (ish) grip diameter as the other one isnt long enough for our new bench press/squat rack.

Did anyone find it hard to adjust to the huge length distance or the width/diameter of the bar itself? I'm petite and have small hands I'm worried about purchasing something so huge!

My dh has the Olympic bar bench press (just the bar weights 45lbs). I'm 5'3" and really don't like the thing. Its totally to long and awkward. I can lift the bar ok but when you start putting weight it just seems harder to keep even and balanced KWIM. WE also have a Olympic size SMITH machine. I have a very hard time manipulating the bar to set the bar/weight in the safely catches. I'm also in my mid 40's so it may be more of my hands just not being strong enough.

I have my own 5 ft small bar, bench and squat rack.

I use the smith machine for chin up. I can set the bar at the perfect height. Its a very expensive pull up chin up bar. :D

I think its just going to be about your own individual comfort. I'm sure there are probably lots of women on this board that has no problem with the Olympic bar. I may just be the whinny one :p

To Cafelattee, you are not the whinny one;)

You are right, it's all about your own comfort. I have experienced myself the difference in the what various barbell are made of. Diameter definitely make a difference. A 28mm could make the grip uncomfortable for your hands stacy.

I am not petite and 2 of my barbell are 30 mm. When I got them I thought the diameter was too high and considered returning them. Because I liked the design (chrome metal), I changed my mind and now I am used to them.

As to the length I have both 5ft and 7ft. The frame and the height come into play in my opinion. IMO a 5ft bar executing a bench press for large male frame/chest (Body mass) would not help achieving a feasibly challenging range of motion.

BTW Last time I bench press on my 5ft, i gripped the widest grip and felt the wide grip was necessary to get a feasible challenge. I am a medium female frame.

To conclude. you may find the 7ft not suitable and comfortable for yourself should you decide to purchase it. That being said, Your husband probably need it depending on his frame and height.

All the best,

Last edited:
I am 5'9" and have the longer Olympic sized barbell. I have really come to love it after seriously considering getting one of the shorter ones...but after reading about how flimsy some of them are and after my husband telling me that the one I have is better than anything out there ---(I bought it 20 years ago and it is great quality)... I have really come to love it....

Now, all that being said...I am a tall girl...so I could see how you may feel "teeter-totterish" since you are shorter....

Funny, this morning I was doing Legs & Glutes and Cathe and crew were using a barbell for balance doing calf raises and I noticed my bar was rather short. I have a 4' bar and plates (originally my FIL's - antiques:p) and I also have my DH's old EZ bar which is also 4'; both are 25mm. These are perfect for me, and I had no idea they were shorter than standard. I'm 5'0". I cannot even imagine a 7' bar. I'd need a much larger space to work in.

Funny, this morning I was doing Legs & Glutes and Cathe and crew were using a barbell for balance doing calf raises and I noticed my bar was rather short. I have a 4' bar and plates (originally my FIL's - antiques:p) and I also have my DH's old EZ bar which is also 4'; both are 25mm. These are perfect for me, and I had no idea they were shorter than standard. I'm 5'0". I cannot even imagine a 7' bar. I'd need a much larger space to work in.

Lol Mary, really 4' I did not know such length ever existed:D:D neither did I know about a 23mm diameter BB! Oh well now I know.:D

I'm thinking of getting a "trainer" or "junior" bar but it's so much more expensive. It is 66 inches long, 25mm diameter and the distance btwn the spring collars is the same as an Olympic competition. The only drawback besides the price is that the "sleeve" aka area where you load the plates is about 4-5 inches shorter than a standard bar. If I can fit enough plates it may be worth the extra price for the diameter, the shorter overall length but still giving me enough distance btwn collars so I dont feel crowded under the bench rack.

I have these by the way...Amazon.com: Valor Fitness BD-9 Power Squat Stand: Sports & Outdoors

Using my current 5 ft bar I feel too cramped doing bench presses.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.