Back Pain and Workouts

naughtoj

Cathlete
Many of you know that I have some chronic upper back pain issues. Have had this problem since I got so lucky to have a desk job. While I do stretch, it is probably not enough cuz it still hurts. I went to doc...couldn't find anything, so it has to be muscle weakness and/or tightness. Lately, I have been waking up in the AM with a new symptom.....overall back stiffness..especially in my lower back. I feel sorta like the TinMan from Wizard of Oz!! LOL! It goes away IF I move around, but it is sort of scary feeling, as if at any moment I will turn the wrong way and tweak something.

When I started lifting, the pain subsided some, I think after I strengthened my muscles some in my back and abs. However, it has not gone away to the extent it should have. I am thinking now that the front of my body (pecs, shoulders) it WAAAAYYYY to tight and my upper back..and overall back and abs...are either stretched out, weak, and/or spasmodic(?) Probably all three.

What I am wanting to know is do you think I can give up weights for yoga/pilates? I would hate to sacrifice my hard earned muscle but it sure seems like all that muscle bulk is giving me problems!! Also, becuase my chest is tight (I have that "neanderthal" look of rounded shoulders and forward head...again, thank you deskjob) do you think I should do, say, one Cathe total body a week, but cut down on the chest work and sub in some more back work?? Makes sense that if one side is stronger than the other you should work them differently atleast until the opposing muscles can catch up.??

Specifically, I am wanting to do one Cathe weight workout...maybe 2 HOT YOGA classes, a bit of pilates, a dash of cardio, Ab Ripper X, Core Synergistics, my Stability Ball core workouts..

I am trying to go into nursing and am seriously thinking that unless I do something about this, my back is going to "go out" before I even start!!! And nursing is very bad on your back so I want to strengthen it now!! I have really never come across anyone who has this problem to the extent I have it. I cannot even go to the movies because my back will hurt bad by the time we leave. School is killing me! It is sitting that does it, so I try to move lots. Everyone thinks you are a freak though..:)

How much can I get rid of weights if I am pretty mesomorphic?? If you have any other advice or opinions I would love that too....:)

Hi,

I mostly lurk on the board, but frequently read it.

For back pain like yours, I would use Pete Egoscue's
Chronic Pain book (available on amazon for about $15).
But I would not judge its effectiveness until I had
tried it for a week. (Look at the reviews on amazon
and the difference between those who used it and those
who didn't!)

I am not a doctor or medical personnel of any kind.
I was recommended the book by someone on one of the
fitness lists, and I am so glad she did! It helps
my plantar facitis and my upper back tightness/slumping.
I am convinced that if I did it every day I would
feel much better.

MaryS

If you think your back pain has been aggrevated by working a desk job, perhaps you could look into more ergonomically designed chairs.

Just a thought.

Diane

The correct title of the book is:

Pain Free: A Revolutionary Method
for Stopping Chronic Pain, by Pete
Egoscue.

MaryS

I'm another huge fan of the book "Pain Free" by Pete Egoscue. I've had neck/arm issues that caused a badly pinched nerve. This book has been a Godsend. He has other books that I have not read about the same method. "Pain Free for Women" and "Pain Free at Your PC" (sounds great for office workers).

Hi Janice.
I have similar back issues to you (based on what you're written in your post) only my pain is usually concentrated in my lower back but I do suffer from horrible upper back pain on occasion. I started out with Pilates and aerobics (step and hi-lo) then yoga and then weights. *All* of these things help my back and the rest of my body. I could not do without Yoga or weights but equally cardio workouts help with the stiffness. Pilates is brilliant for backs but it can be hard to get into and stay interested in.

I found cutting back on the chest and shoulder work in favour of more back work helped my back, and it also balanced my look. I would be careful about doing Hot Yoga classes because the heat will make your muscles looser than they would be if you had warmed up in the usual way, say through vinyasas or an aerobic warmup for example. It's very easy to overstretch and cause more pain - possibly even strains and muscle spasms. It's certainly worth taking an Iyengar class or getting a book if a class is impractical, because Iyengar yoga pays attention to alignment and will help you iron out any uneven areas. It will also help you to keep your back from bending in a bad way.

Pilates is a great way to improve the health of your back but it can be a bit tedious. However the results (I'm talking about pain relief and strengthening as well as postural improvements) are excellent and I found it didn't take long to begin reaping the benefits. Any core work is worth doing and I find Cathe's core work great but it is hard if you have a weak back. The NYC Ballet workouts, Callentics, the Lotte Berk Method and Bar Method workouts can also benefit your back and core. NYC Ballet workout 1 does the most for my issues.

As far as yoga goes the following workouts do a lot for me both in terms of relieving pain and keeping it from coming back:
Bryan Kest's Spinal Strengthening and Long, Slow & Deep - both come as a book + CD set.
Erich Schiffman's Backyard Beginners video and also his book, Moving Into Stillness
Shiva Rea's Yoga Shakti - my shoulders love Shiva :)
Ana Forrest's Strength and Spirit - I have the CD but it's also available on VHS.
GeriBodyYoga with Katy Appleton (Sivananda trained Yoga teacher) and Geri Halliwell (former Spice Girl)
Eoin Finn's Power Yoga For Happiness is totally wonderful but I haven't tried it on a day where I have upper back pain. For what it's worth, I do feel good all over after doing any of Eoin's practices.
Back Care Yoga by Mary Pullig Schatz is also a must have book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...03534/sr=ka-1/ref=pd_ka_1/103-3674078-0198200

I put on muscle easily but I'm not a true mesomorph. As body types go, I'm a classic hourglass but hourglasses are supposed to lean more towards the mesomorph kind than the other kinds and that's certainly true for me. I also have Chiropractic treatment - usually in the form of craniosacral therapy. A good friend swears by the Bowen technique for her back pain. Arnica is also excellent for back pain. Sitting kills my back too and I recommend getting your school do a desk assesment if that's possible. If you know you will be sitting at a desk for long periods of time (or long enough to make you back start hurting) make sure your employer does a thorough desk assessment and gets a custom-fitted chair for you. Employers must do that for their staff in England and I would be surprised if that wasn't the case in America. Another thing that has helped me is wearing "Yoga Toes" : http://www.yogapro.com/ts/toestretcher.html I ordered mine from www.dancedistributors.com here: http://www.dancedistributors.com/index.cfm?act=prod_detail&pln=3916
You're welcome to PM or e-mail me if you want to discuss anything in more detail.

ATB,
- Lisa :)

>If you know you will be sitting at a desk for
>long periods of time (or long enough to make you back start
>hurting) make sure your employer does a thorough desk
>assessment and gets a custom-fitted chair for you. Employers
>must do that for their staff in England and I would be
>surprised if that wasn't the case in America. >

HA!! LOL!!! I am lucky to get PAID by my employer let alone a desk assessment!! No, ROTFL!!:)

Thank you for your suggestions. On a wing and a prayer I ordered a posture exercise tape that I am hoping will help. It is out there on the web and I actually spoke with the doctor that endorses it/owns the company? It was weird..I ordered the tape/program and this doctor called me Saturday morning at my house!!! We spoke for over an hour regarding my back pain and what could be causing it, fitness, workout design, ergonomics....even if it turns out to be a sham, it was sure nice of him to give me so much time! That same time in a doc's office would cost over $1000!! His program is double money back gauranteed to produce results. It may be the same ol' hum drum of back strengthening/stretching exercises, but hey, I am desperate!!!

Now, if I can just quit my deskjob!!

Really, thank you all for your suggestions, especially Lisa for taking so much time to give such an informative response!!! I will let you know how the program works out for me!!:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.