Automatic Litter Boxes and a Vet question

martijean1

Cathlete
Anybody have one of these? What do you think?? My ex and I adopted a cat many years ago and when we split I promised to take him if he ever couldn't care for him...His new (ok, 6 months) girlfriend has TERRIBLE allergies and has tried everything from shots to pills since they've been dating to no avail...He bought "the" ring (congrats to him!!!), so Monte will be coming with me.

I brought Romeo with me when we split, and Joe has Buddy (aka: The Birdman), so Monte will be #3 (and no, I am NOT a crazy cat lady!). Is 3 going to be too much to handle for the motor?

Also, has anyone had experience with a cat that has had crystels in their urine...Monte did 5 years ago, but PH levels have been fine after 5 years on Science Diet CD...Any GOOD pet food out there that someone could recommend for urinary tract problems? If need be we will switch the other 2 over, but would prefer to "mainstream" Monte again...After much research, high protien, low carbs will help his urine from being so alkeline? Oh, confusing! Do we have a resident vet??

Thanks!
MJ

Last edited:
I had 3 cats for several years with only 1 automatic litter box....it did fine. In fact, after the motor finally burned out (after a couple of years), we went to get another one, but instead came home with cat #4!

I have had 3 automatic litter boxes over the years and they all eventually burnt out. While they worked they were great but they are expensive and so eventually I didn't replace them. I am waiting for the genius to invent a litter toilet that is plumbed right into your house and all you have to do is flush. There is the Cat Genie but I am not sold on that. So till then I scoop. I have 2 boxes for 3 cats. They say you should have one box for each cat but I have never followed that "rule".

I have had 3 automatic litter boxes over the years and they all eventually burnt out. While they worked they were great but they are expensive and so eventually I didn't replace them. I am waiting for the genius to invent a litter toilet that is plumbed right into your house and all you have to do is flush. There is the Cat Genie but I am not sold on that. So till then I scoop. I have 2 boxes for 3 cats. They say you should have one box for each cat but I have never followed that "rule".

Girl, don't get me started on the whole cat toilet thing again. I am still bugging plumbing companies, plumbers, etc., trying to figure out how to create an actual porcelain cat toilet that is tied to a sewage line, lays low to the floor, and which all my cats can be trained to use. No lie. Imagine a house without kitty litter tracked all over the place, a toilet that flushes away all the mess and the smell, and landfills not full of used kitty litter. All the behavioral issues brought on by one cat smelling some other cat's stuff...

I have only encountered one person who thinks this is a great idea but I dream about this! One in every bathroom of the house.... Bye bye litter boxes. Oh man, would THAT be awesome...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.