Anyone from Suffolk VA

acatalina

Cathlete
I am heading to Virginia on Thursday to give my sister a hand with her new baby, and her 2 kids.I am going to stay a week.She said there is a ymca down the road I am gonna use for a week.
Just wondering if any of you Cathe fans are from out there.
Anne

Darn... Anne I ran Suffolk on Mapquest and you will still be about 6 hours from me. I'm in the Piedmont of North Carolina close to Charlotte. I can be in Virginia in just a couple or so hours up 77N but you are on the other side of the state.

Anne LOL I used to work for the City of Suffolk. And I have been to that YMCA (the older one on I think Godwin Blvd--I believe they've opened a newer one in the northern section of town).

Anyway, the place pretty much sucks. I don't think they have any classes. They have two exercise rooms--a cybex/cardio room & a free weight room. The free weight room is absolutely filthy. Pretty much the rest of the place is devoted to family programs (swimming, daycare, etc.).

That is so strange you're going there. It gives me the willies. :eek: If you do go to the Y say hello to Jeff for me. :)

I traveled all over this summer by myself (with my kids). I can get lost on the way to the grocery store!!! I did great! I am lucky enough to have that navigation system in my car, but you still need that sense of adventure!

I drove to the banks from Michigan. I was near Duck in a private community called Pirate's Cove (Nag's Head area). I love it there!

Good luck on your trip! I hope you can still fit exercise into your days! Enjoy!

Jenn

LOL well I don't think you'll need to go to that extreme. I don't know where Knottingham Blvd is (Suffolk is about 430 square miles). Ask her if she's in the northern section of the city--if she is, you'll have a beautiful new state of the art facility in which to work out. If she's not, the old YMCA will still have what you need, it just won't be as nice.

The one thing I loved about that place was the price--it was $40 a month (now I pay $80). What I hated about it was the hours--can you believe it was closed on Sunday mornings? It drove me crazy. I was like ummmm, just b/c you close on Sunday mornings doesn't mean I'm gonna go to church, especially considering my dad's Jewish. :p It totally kiboshed my workout schedule. I'd drive into the Norfolk Y b/c it opened at 10 instead of 1 (the excuse was "b/c a lot of Jews live in Norfolk" :eek: ).

I don't know it is off the smithfield exit.Only a couple miles in.
I haven't been to her new house . I am probably gonna get fricken lost. As long as it is decent. I looked at the site doesn't show much.
She is going to be in the base hospital having the baby when i get there. She is leaving me keys and directions.
I have no idea where i am going down there.
She used to live in Norfolk and the street was getting bad. Alot of drugs. So they sold and moved.
Thanks though. I have never road tripped alone!!!!
Pray no snow storms!!!!But, I need the week off work. I am burnt.
Anne
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=8227804&uid=3969941

The Smithfield exit? She must be in the northern part of town then--how are you getting there? Are you taking the Jamestown ferry? That is a very cool trip.

You won't get lost--it's really easy to find your way around there--it's all pretty much major highways w/housing developments off the road.

Suffolk is the peanut capital of the world. Smithfield of course is the ham capital of the world, so get ready to smell lots of bacon when you drive through. :7

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.