Anyone read any good books lately?

Tamster

Cathlete
I just finished Twilight...it was okay...really kinda corny. Now I'm reading Nights in Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks...it's okay...kinda corny....

Hey Robin ;) Always willing to help out a friend;) Whatcha' reading?

I am getting ready to read Angels and Demons again to prepare for the movie next year!! I really enjoyed it the first time around.

I'm reading Wives Behaving Badly by Elizabeth Buchan. It's the sequel to Revenge of the Middle-Aged Woman, which I really liked. I started with Consided the Lily by the same author, which, again, I really enjoyed.

I just finished reading Unbowed, A memoir by Wangari Maathai. She is the First African Women and the First Environmentalist to Win the Nobel Peace Prize.

She started the Green Belt Movement in 1977. Having endured jailings, beatings and personal losses she continued to plant trees and change lives and worked successfully to save Kenya's forests and to restore democracy to her country. It was a very inspirational read.

I'm reading Wives Behaving Badly by Elizabeth Buchan. It's the sequel to Revenge of the Middle-Aged Woman, which I really liked. I started with Consided the Lily by the same author, which, again, I really enjoyed.

Wives Behaving Badly...now that peaks my interest! Damn...where is that devil smiley ;)

Jane - I also read and LOVED Wangari Maathai's memoir. What an astonishing person!

I just read "Mayflower" by Nathaniel Philbrick. It's a highly readable and surprising account of the early years of the Plymouth Colony. But for pure fun, I am reading "Three Bags Full" by Leonie Swann! It's pretty fabulous, if you like mysteries.

Lisa

great books

The kindness of strangers

Nineteen minutes

both are a must read...LOVED THEM:eek:))))))

Tammy

I am reading the Post American World. I'm going to go to a book discussion at my alma mater, sporting tape in the middle of my glasses, and gather with the other nerds on campus.

I'm watching this thread with great interest. I haven't been in the mood to read lately. I started Peace Like a River early in the summer and I still haven't finished it. It's a good book, I just haven't felt like reading. I go through periods like that once in awhile. ;)

Catherine, I'm also interested in Angels and Demons.

Actually Catherine, I take that back. I was thinking of another book about the Civil War, The Killer Angels -- LOL! I'm not into Dan Brown.

Last edited:
I am reading the Post American World. I'm going to go to a book discussion at my alma mater, sporting tape in the middle of my glasses, and gather with the other nerds on campus.

Beavs...DS#2 recommends Battle Cry of Freedom by James MacPherson...I have it if you would like to borrow it. He will gladly join you at the nerd fest....

Yehzzz, I trust DS#2 judgment and the writing of James McPherson. Bring it to me next week and we hit the theater in search of a movie as cool as the Wackness!

Yehzzz, I trust DS#2 judgment and the writing of James McPherson. Bring it to me next week and we hit the theater in search of a movie as cool as the Wackness!

You got it :D DS#2 said..."She knows James MacPherson?" LOL!

Hell yeah! He's THE writer for the civil war era. Awesome stuff. Scholarly by eminently readable.

Leave it to my geeky DS#2:eek: I'll have to post a list of the classes he is taking...you would love them...you will have to meet him...sounds like y'all will hit if off...

Everything I am reading right now is either psychological research or self-help stuff. I am proofing a few chapters of a colleague's dissertation, and I am also reading "Mothering Without a Map."

The last work of fiction that I read was A Thousand Splendid Suns -- BEST BOOK I'VE EVER READ. I think I am afraid to read any fiction again, because I just know nothing could be as good as that book.

Tammy- I was in Borders today and saw Nights in Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks . I thought it was too corny to buy

Robin- those titles are intriguing....

Tonight I stated Randy Pausch's book, "The Last Lecture" Did any of you see his special with Diane Sawyer? * major tears* , but a must read for certain! DS almost went to Carnegie Mellon in 2005 ( he chose BC instead) . I wonder if he would have been at Randy's last lecture!

Michele- I go in spurts oto of not wanting to read. For now I can't seem to read enough. I was thinking of finding a local book club, but I'm not interested in an Oprah type book club.

Judy, I didn't see the Diane Sawyer special, but I watched the "Last Lecture" on youtube. It was very moving and inspiring!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.