Anyone an Occupational Therapy Assistant?

Armywife

Cathlete
Is anyone here an Occupational Therapy Assistant or has a friend or family member who is one? I was looking at this job and would like more information about it. Any help would be great. I hope you all are having a great weekend!!!

Not an assistant but I am an occupational therapist. I am Canadian so our system is quite different from the USA which I'm assuming is where you are from. I do sit on the national board for occupational therapy which is in the process of developing national accrediation standards for the occupational therapy assistant programs. If I could help I would be happy too. Do you have any specific questions? Kim

Basically I was just wondering what exactly the assistants do. What does the job entail, etc. I started my nursing degree but then went into the Army and became a medical laboratory technician and got my associates degree. After being out of the Army since 2001 and being a stay-at-home mom (my kids are now both in school), I am now looking to go back to school. I want to do something in the medical field but don't want to invest four more years into a degree and lots of money. I was researching different jobs in the Occupational Outlook Handbook online and I came across the job of Occupational Therapy Assistant. It sounds interesting and I found a school near me with an associates program. I was wondering if anyone was in this field to get an idea of what it is like, is it rewarding, etc. Thanks for any input you may have. I would greatly appreciate it!

Instead of writing out a lengthy description, try checking out this website www.otworks.ca

Basically where I work which is a very large acute care/rehab hospital, the OTAs would have varied demands including working with patients on activities such as self care (dressing, bathing, etc,) kitchen activities, teaching patients to use a power wheelchair/scooter, helping finish off splints, working with patients on return to work strengthening programs in a workshop, stuff like that.

Have a look at the website and let me know if you have any questions. How long is the program in your area? Kim

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.