Anyone else lost gains after stopping P90X?

sophiem

Cathlete
I did the P90X plan for a year because I loved it so much and saw new muscle definition as well as strength gains in push-ups, pull-ups, etc. After that time I grew bored with it as you can imagine. I began incorporating Cathe in with some P90X in an effort to mix it up, yet keep what I gained. Unfortunately, I've noticed that I've lost strength since then and I'm still feeling bored with my workout and unmotivated. Has anyone been through this and how did you handle this challenge?

Me too.... I think more an issue of "how" I use the DVDs rather than the actual workout tho- Tony can push me and there is something about the Periodization training like nothing else in the world! I am STOKED about Cathe doing a series- FUTURE problem solved:7 For now my solution? Starting P90x round 2 on Monday! }( }( }(

I did my first (and only so far) round of P90X classic at the beginning of the year. I was concerned about losing what I had gained as well but am happy to report that I really haven't. I have actually been able to go heavier on Cathe's work outs since having done the X. I've also made a point of adding in pull ups and push ups to my rotations post X as well as trying to keep up with doing yoga so that I wouldn't lose the abilities I gained in those areas by doing the X. I am starting round 2 of the X in December and can't wait! That being said, I don't think I could do an X rotation more then once every so often. I need more variety then that for "the long haul". I have, however, thrown X work outs into the mix through out the year and love it. :)

I did experience a loss of muscle definition and some strength. I don't know exactly what it is, I think Tony pushes me in a way where I'm really allowed to focus on just the muscles being worked and there really isn't a cardio factor brought in to fatigue me. Also, I think it has something to do with how the workouts are arranged in sequence. I really do like P90X, I just started it up again this year, I'll take a break in a few weeks and then go again. I would like to see just how much I can gain in definition by doing this. I too am glad that Cathe is doing the STS program, I really hope it is similar to Tony's, only with Cathe's great personality. I've been looking for something like that.

Wonderful topic. I was thinking what to do when I am done with P90X. I am on Phase 3, week 1.

I am sometimes find myself missimg Cathe so much!!! I just love her workouts and her motivating words.

But I needed to find something else for a while because I wasn't building the muscles that I was looking for in my upper body and I tried the X because my husband had already started it.

I think some things were missing when I was doing Cathe's workouts that didn't let me get any futher:

1. A more defined diet. Unfortunately, Cathe doesn't give you specifics on diet and when you want to build bulk, you need something more specific to go along with your exercises to get you there.
2. I wasn't taking supplements. I need those. Like Protein Shakes and Pre/Load Creatine Recovery Drinks. That really helps your muscles feel and get beter.

I am seeing major progress with P90X because they provide you with a diet book and guidelines to follow.

I think that I am better prepared to do Cathe's weights, after I am done with P90X with a better diet to go along with it and supplements.

I will continue also to do pullups and push ups, so I will incorporte P90X in my rotations so I don't loose what I have gained.

I too am excited about her new DVD next year. I REALLY hope that it is very close to P90X. I am sure she has seen all the stuff we type here about P90X and that we would love for her to do something similar.

I hope!!!

Maria

I haven't taken a long enough break yet to notice any strength gains! But I will say that round 2 of P90X took me MUCH further in pushups/ pullups than I ever imagined on day 1. I never thought I would be able to do ONE pullup, let alone 70 of them in one workout! ;-)

I just finished up round 2 and am going to start round 3 December 3rd. I'm doing kind of a mix & match routine until I start again- I did Drill Max on Monday, ran 6 miles this morning, and haven't decided what to do yet tomorrow! I love the structure of the X, but while traveling over T'giving I'll be glad not to have to worry about *missing* a workout! :)

I think you could still do a mix of Cathe cardio & P90X strength. Sub in an IMAX for Plyo, do KPC, KM, or another kickboxing DVD for Kenpo, do a CoreMax for Ab Ripper, etc.

Hope that helps!

Hi Jess,

I just wanted to say I'm starting Round 2 on December 3rd too! I'll probably start out doing it as is but will eventually sub for Plyo X and Kenpo. I doubt I'll be doing Yoga X at all since I have so many other better yoga practices. I'd love it if the new X core routines came out because I know I will tire of Ab Ripper X quickly.

Will you be ordering Xplus?

Marcy

Awesome!! Great to have someone else starting with me! I'm doing a Lean round this time and focusing on more cardio to train me for a triathlon this summer & a half marathon.

Oh yeah, I'm definitely ordering Xplus!! You know it!!

BTW, I didn't post my before/ after pics yet, but here's a couple.

Back shot... from back fat to real muscles & real pullups!

289197129.jpg

And front shot.

289197127.jpg

Hey Jess!

You look great! Pullups/Chinups definitely do wonders for the back muscles. I really missed them. Kudos to you for doing a triathlon. :) I'm not there yet.:(

Marcy

Hi all,

I am happy to say that I haven't lost strength/definition and have actually gained since I finished the X, what seems like months ago. I have continued to integrate pull/chin ups regularly and different types of pushups. I've solely been using Cathe's weight training routines, and I think if used with the proper mindset, you can see just as good gains as with the X, if not better. I'm happy with my upper body size and strength and it is all due to following Cathe's weight work.

I was not happy with the X cardio nor leg work or the results that I got. Since then, I have followed a couple of Cathe's different leg rotations and I am seeing great results. She knows just how to sequence the workouts to get maximum gains.

Tracy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.