Any recommendations on group exercise music??

Clarissa

Cathlete
I had an interview today at a local fitness center. They want me to get my foot in the door by teaching a "boot camp" or "plyometric" class one or two days a week! (OMG!)
I have no experience doing so, and only have my personal training certificate. They said it was okay, cuz in Ohio you don't need to actually be certified. nonetheless, I have no experience.

ANy suggestions on where/how to find a good CD that has upbeat AND familiar tunes on it?? (also any tips on group exercise would be much appreciated!!)
Have a fun weekend! Clarissa :)

I like to use powermusic.com and dynamixmusic.com. They both have a wide variety of premixed 32 count continuous play CDs. You may also want to go to turnstep.com and check out the forum and search for "new instructor". You will find a great amount of useful info on that site. Have fun teaching and I am sure that you will do great! Oh, and practice, practice, practice.

BKHowe.com

My students and I love the stuff I have from there. I love their 80's mixes!!!

Oh, and I think the thing about teaching classes ( I teach 8 per week now!) is to be motivating with positive reinforcement and to encourage progression without pushing TOO hard. My students all tell me that I never make them feel intimidated, which they say other instructors have, but I make them WANT to do more than they thought possible. Honestly, that is the best compliment I can think to get!!

Also, as much one on one attention/correction as possible. People need to feel like you care about what they are doing, even the ones who try to hide in the back. I always take notice of form and gently correct, even if I do it in a "general" way for some who need that.

Well, good luck!! You will do great and you will find YOUR own style of teaching in no time!!

I was just resently turned on to www.cardiomixes.com by Tracey Staehle. They have some great stuff. The best cardio version of 'Glamerous Life' and the best rockin' version of 'Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap'. I bought 9 cds all together and they are great. Usually I have to listen to fitness music over and over before I begin to 'feel' any of it, but this music just kicks butt. I never thought I would like anything better than GFmixes but I do. :) Dynamix is sort of hit and miss. Some of their stuff is really good and some of it is just plain awful. PowerMusic and Muscle Mixes Music are o.k.; Musicflex is great for oldies, Christi has used a bunch of their stuff.

John Sines has great music--all original artists and designed at specific beats per minute. If you like hip hop --this guy is the best. He also has other mixes that are of popular music that he calls bubblegum funk. I was a dynamix and powermusic gal before John Sine and now I won't order anyone else! He has listening links too. http://www.johnsines.com

Good luck!

Keli

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.