Any Personal Trainers out there???

Clarissa

Cathlete
I recently became certified as a personal trainer. Any suggestions or recommendations on how I can begin to build clientele? I did buy a great book on getting started, but thought I would ask for some advice from people who have gone through this before. I appreciate any advice in advance,
Clarissa ;)

I got certified as a trainer at the end of the summer. I am slowly looking for a job in a gym but in the meantime I am actually training my best friend and a co-worker of hers. It's great practice and lots of fun. My friend has lost a good amount of weight, dropped her bodyfat and lost several inches in just a couple of months. She is ecstatic and so am I! Great experience to add to my resume!:)

Clarissa-
I have been certified since early 2007... I am self emplyed and have 4 on-going clients that provide a nice little income ... my www is
www.trainingbytraci.com & email is [email protected]

I have both in-person clients & internet clients with minimal & inexpensive advertising...Hoping January takes off with more day clients as that is how I advertise.

I created the WWW myself and its cost is 12.95 per month (yahoo small business) It paid for itsel for 2 years within the first 30 days.

Feel free to email me with more specific questions... you can use the Contact Me page on www if you'd like.

It helps a lot if you are visible, even if you only train your friends or relatives for free. When gym members see you in action, they are more likely to approach you, specially if they like what they see.
I have at least 3 clients who came up to me after seeing me training other people.
When I used trainers I always hired them after seeing them in action as opposed to only recommendation. Good luck, Mari

I have been certified since July. I have 6 clients that come to my home gym right now. I really prefer to work this way as opposed to working in a gym. I have had a couple of referrals through word of mouth and the others I knew at least as acquaintences when we began. Actually, two of them came to me privately because they take my cardio/sculpt class that I teach ( I do that in a studio). So far, it is going well. Once I finish the gym area ( it is still only half finished) and make a private entrance from the outside of the house, I wll be able to advertise more and take a few more clients. I will also eventually offer my services in a client's home, but not just yet. Right now I feel that those steps need to be taken before I am comfortable having clients that are complete strangers.

Anyway, I think that you will have to figure out where you want to train, and then if you do go with a gym you should be visible and you may have to approach people directly. If not and you plan to work privately, then word of mouth would be your best betas well as putting flyers out and internet advertising. I do think people will pay alot of money to have you come to their home as well, food for thought.

Anyway, good luck. I am absolutely loving this career change and I wish you all the success in the world!

You all were so helpful. I am just so excited to start helping others feel great about themselves. Having been overweight at one point in my life and through HS, I know how much it helps self-esteem and confidence to lose weight and get healthier. I plan on doing business cards, fliers, and a website as soon as I can. Thanks again.
Clarissa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.