Any ladies in DayCare? I need help!!!

kims

Cathlete
I'm sure hoping some of you lovely ladies can give me advice.

I am trying to enter the daycare field and I can't figure out how to do it!!

I planned to attend classes to get a CDA certification this fall. To complete the certification, I have to have 480 hours in a daycare facility...but I cannot find a daycare that doesn't require at minimum a CDA and 2 years experience in a daycare.

I'm just about beside myself with frustration! How does anyone get the experience if you cannot get hired?

I asked the instructor of the CDA at the college what she would recommend as students have to have these 480 to get the cert and she says try to find a daycare that will hire me based on me going for a CDA.

That doesn't look like it's gonna happen. I've applied 3 different times with no luck. I'm really kinda surprised that the school doesn't have any affiliations (sp?) with any of the many daycare centers here to have students work out their hours.

Any advice or shared experiences would be so appreciated. TIA :)

I would start out looking for a (not necessarily paid position) at a church. They provide daycare during services, mother's day out, and regular day care offerings. As the churches are non-profit, they can accept volunteers to help out.

Additionally, you could ask organizations such as the Family Y if you could volunteer in their day care facility, as they are also non-profit.

Don't forget to tell the facilities you apply IN PERSON to why you want to work for them (to get your hours in so you can get your CDA).

Most likely, you will have to submit to a background check.

Thanks so much for your reply. I guess the one thing I should do that I'm not is going to the daycare IN PERSON.

I've been applying to the ads they run on craigslist. I have thought about going to ask about this in person and show my interest, but I guess I was kinda nervous about it. Not sure why exactly. Probably fear of rejection :eek:

But, I think you're right and that's what I'll do.

I know I can pass the backgrounds cause I've already done that through hospice volunteer.

Again, thank you for your help. Most appreciated!:D

I don't know. I'll have to ask the instructor. She did say there would be certain I would have to observed doing, but she didn't elaborate.
I'm getting a bit frustrated by the whole process.

How can they expect to find all these people with 2 yrs.experience when you can't get hired on to get the experience!!! :rolleyes:
Oh and the experience has to be 'documented'. I kept my own grandkids from ages 6 weeks to 3 yrs full time so I do know how to take care of babies!!

Ok...I'll stop the whine.

Thanks again y'all.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.