Any Hawaiians out there?

MRSchultz

Cathlete
Hi,

I leaving for Hawaii with my husband a week from today. Is there anybody out there that are living there or been there and can give me some tips on things that I "can't miss" while I'm there?

Thanks, Marcia :)

Hawaii the state, or Hawaii the Big Island? I have been to Oahu and Kauai, but not Hawaii the island.

OK, well then I'll tell you about Oahu. I stayed at Waikiki for 3 days. The Waikiki strip is over-the-top as far as tacky and overdeveloped. A Hawaiian Las Vegas of sorts. But there is a way cool museum there about the Pearl Harbor attacks, WWII in Hawaii, and the history of the area that I really liked. It's in an old bunker on the beach.

Also, rent a Ferrari or a Lamborghini. They are only 200 a day or so, since the guy said no one can very well steal them from an island. There are a bunch of rent-an-exotic places and what the hell, you only live once. I rented a Ferrari Dino.

Drive (in your Ferrari if you like) to the other side of the island and look around at the more quiet undeveloped part. Also the Dole pineapple plantations.

Avoid the Japanese sector of Honolulu. Rude. Unfriendly. Very self-contained.

I think its very wrong to stereotype a certain race of people as being rude! Obviously you don't know every Japanese person in Hawaii, so you can't say "they" are all rude.
I'm extremely offended by your racist comment!!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-28-02 AT 12:17PM (Est)[/font][p]]

Gatorfan, I removed this post, not just the comment about political correctness. My post wasn't completely updated correctly after editing.

I will leave this discussion between you and the poster.

I stand by my comment. In the same way that New Yorkers as a group have a different culture from say, rural Southerners, who would doubtless perceive New York in general as rude, intense, pushy, etc. even though of course many people in New York are nice, helpful, etc.

This to me is so obvious by now that it is amazing you can't comment on anything without offending someone. Oh well.

The Japanese area of Honolulu, containing mostly Japanese who come from a different culture, impressed me with its unfriendly people, no English signs, little eye contact, a sense that I was totally ignored when I entered shops or restaurants. I felt unwelcome. I thought it was rude by my American cultural standards. If you don't think that's rude, that's fine too, but I stick to my opinion. Jeesh.

Its not about being politically correct, its having respect for people who are different than you.
You guys are going after a particular race of people which is very wrong. Maybe the Japanese people you came across were rude, but to go ahead and make a blanket statement about all Japanese people is very ignorant. Maybe you guys should learn more about the Japanese culture, before you judge all of them.
Its funny how being respectful of other cultures, is too
"politically correct" for you.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-28-02 AT 10:08AM (Est)[/font][p]I am removing my posts from this thread, because this is not the place debate this. It is an exercise forum.

P.s. I didn't say anything racist gatorfan.

Nikki

You're absolutely right, this is not the place to debate an issue like race.
It is interesting though that you edited your post on
you being tired of "political correctness"

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-28-02 AT 12:40PM (Est)[/font][p]Gatorfan,

Please see above post regarding editing my post.

I also, removed my posts, because a wise lady on this forum said once, don't debate Religion or politics, etc... Because no-one will agree.

One more reason, It is the season for peace and kindness and I am reminded of why a live was given for me. I didn't want to start the new year with an arguement.

We have different opinions and I am glad we live in a country where we all can speak freely of those opinions.

Nikki
P.s. My best friend is Japanese (Hiroko) and I let her read the above post and she wasn't offened in the least.

Marcia,
I lived on Oahu from 1998-2000(got married there and everything). Since this is a fitness forum I would say that you definitely have to climb Diamond Head while you are on Oahu. It has a ton of stairs and you need a flash light(only for part of it--it used to be military so you have to go through a dark tunnel to get to the observation area) and plenty of water--the first time I climbed it I was pregnant--very early pg, so early that I didn't know yet--well, that climb about killed me! LOL BUT when you get to the top the view is spectacular!! Bring your camera and get plenty of pictures. Also, if you have time drive around the island--check out North Shore--although there may or may not be big waves when you're out there. I got married at Turtle Bay--it's in Kahuku on the North Shore--beautiful and quiet--a big change from Honolulu. Also, there are some great hiking trails around Oahu--I would get a book on them from a local book store when you are there. I'm sure there are great places to hike on the Big Island also, but I never got out there to find out.

There are lots of great places to eat there--especially if you want to try some of the local food. Try Sam Choy's if you want to try local food at a nice place. Also, Aloha Tower Marketplace is a nice place to shop and eat. I used to love the Big Island Steakhouse--you can sit out on a balcony and watch the boats--it's heaven :)

Enjoy your stay on the islands--I'm jealous--it's a great place to be this time of year!!!

Aloha,
Kim :)

Marcia,

My sister & brother-in-law just got back from Hawaii 2 weeks ago & had the trip of their lifetime. Although they were only in Oahu for 3 days (their main trip was in Maui) - we saw some video footage they took of Oahu too. The waves were topping 20 feet - there was a surfboarding competition, they had a super time (although there were signs posted of sharks being in the water - be careful!). In Maui my brother-in-law was delighted to find Costco, and made about 5 trips there over 2 weeks (he's hopeless!) They climed a volcanic mountain in Maui & were actually above the clouds.
My cousins also lived in Honolulu for 2 years and loved it - she worked as a nurse there. They only came back because their 2 girls missed Canada & their friends too much!
Anyhow, hope you have a wonderful trip & I'm sure it will be a terrific experience for you. Enjoy!

Susan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.