anerobic threshold and eating/working out. Sorry a lit...

sbaxterharris

Let me begin by saying I do realize these topics have been covered sooooo much, but I just cannot find them in my searches.

I am a lurker, I rarely post, but I have been lurking for a year or so now when I originally found Cathe. When I began I was 190lbs (5'1") a heavy girl to say the least. Now I am slowly going down (currently at 163) With that alone you probably can see I modify ALL THE TIME and rarely do high impact or blasts. I ONLY own cathe workouts (except two dvd's that I hate and never do).

I went really gung ho when I discovered Cathe then I overdid it and dropped off the bandwagon for over 5 months (what trouble we cause when we overdo it at the beginning) gained back up to 180 ughhhhhh!!!!!!!! At the new year (not a new years resolution) I started weight watchers and really began controlling my intake. Actually I was surprised to see after journaling that I rarely ate as much as I should and then sometimes I would eat out and go so far over. Then I finally started back with Cathe. I mish mosh a lot and keep things at a cardio rate I can handle. Weights I do pretty well with, I worry I might be going a bit heavier than I should while I am still so overweight, but, I am carefull. At this weight it does so much for my self esteem knowing under all this fat I am a pretty strong girl. By the way, you guys are so fun to keep up with - I am amazed at the knowledge and kindness I see here.

So here are my questions:
At a heavy body weight, is hitting my anerobic threshold during cardio a bad idea? I spoke with my doctor regarding safety of which she concluded I could hit it a max of 2 times a week without getting an exaustion effect. What I did not ask was if it will seriously help or hinder my weight loss. . . . metabolism, etc? I avoid it currently but wonder if I did not would I benefit? Secondly what if you hit your threshold 2 or 3 times in one workout, does that count as one time (one day) or should that be it for the week. I really hope I am not sounding like a blundering idiot.

Next question, I have a tough time deciding what the answers are on eating around workouts. Now I understand it is ok to have a small something a little while before working out (though some prefer to have an empty stomach) When is it appropriate to have the "meal" after working out? (again I know this has been covered but I cannot find it) I remember reading after cardio to have a heavier carb load, and after weights heavier protein. I assume circuits reguire a "balanced" refueling. OK so to get the MAXIMUM benefit how long do I wait 30. . . 60. . . 90 minutes???? And is what I have come to understand as I listed above sounding correct, let me know. Thanks in advance.

RE: anerobic threshold and eating/working out. Sorry a...

Let me give this a shot...but first I want to congratulate you on all of your success thus far!!! You go girl :D !!

Ok first...working in your anaereobic threshold is great to have as part of your weekly rotation. I only do this max twice a week and most times only once with an Imax or something equivalent. If loosing fat stores is your main concern right now then you are going to want for the most part to stay in your "aerobic" zone, usually 60% -70% of your max heart rate. In this zone you are burning more fat cells. Anaerobic training is good for you though so I wouldn't steer clear of it. Oh and from my understanding it doesn't matter how many times you are hitting your anaerobic zone in one given workout it still counts as one day. If this is what you are doing, going between aerobic and anaerobic, this is actually called HIIT, High Intensity Interval Training, and can be extremely effective.

In addition to the above, my question to you would be how do you know you are in each zone??? Are you using a heart rate monitor??? If you are using a monitor keep in mind that unless you have had your max heart rate actually calculated through a precise test these gadgets are only giving you a guesstimate as to which zone you are in. I have a heart rate monitor and it calculated my max rate much lower than it actually is so the zones it gives me that I'm in are actually wrong. So it would be my advice to work more on monitoring your perceived exertion using the "talk test". If you can recite the pledge of allegiance fairly easily and without too much huffing and puffing you are probably in your aerobic zone. If you're really gasping for air and can't really carry on a conversation then you are more than likely in your anareobic zone. Does this make sense :D :D ??

Second in regards to when and what to eat there are alot of different theories out there. I know many people try and do their cardio on an empty stomach as this supposedly promotes using your fat stores as energy instead of undigested food. If I'm doing steady state cardio then I will try and do it first thing in the morning, but if I'm doing weight training or high intensity cardio, like and Imax, I need some accumulated food in my system in order to be able to give the workout my all. My body doesn't do well on an empty stomach with strenuous workouts. I'd rather wait and be able to give 110% later in the day then do the same workout early in the morning and only be able to give it 50%.

In regards to what and when I eat after I workout I try and take in a "recovery snack" right after working out...and definately no longer than an hour after I workout. From what I've read a recovery snack should be 4 parts carbs to 1 part protein...so some yogurt and a piece of fruit would be a great recovery snack. It doesn't matter if it's cardio or weight training you still need that particular balance to replinish your glycogen stores in your muscles. I do try and wait at least an hour after I've eaten to do my workouts.

Regarding the need for protein, if you are doing weight training you just want to make sure you are getting adequate amounts of protein throughout the day. Your body can only process so much of it at any given time so it doesn't really make a lot of sense to load up on too much protein at one time. Spread it out throughout the day, with each of your three meals and two snacks having a serving of protein, complex carb, and healthy fat.

I hope this helps...I know it was long winded :D !! Keep up the good work!!

Deni

RE: anerobic threshold and eating/working out. Sorry a...

Oh boy, thank you so much!!!!!!!!!! That is exactly what I was looking for. I really appreciate the info. I do use perceived exertion, and also the (oh I can't think of what its called - it starts with a K)method.

I will implement the proper eating around my workouts - thanks so much.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.