To AlisonK re aqua

Aquajock

Cathlete
Hi, AlisonK! Sorry I didn't respond earlier to your question about what questions to ask at your local college about its water program.

Questions you may want to consider asking:

Does the program orient itself to people who are generally healthy, or to people with special health conditions?

Does the program have offerings for people who already have a solid athletic / exercise history?

Does the program offer sport-specific training, general fitness, and other types of classes?

Are the instructors certified, and if so through what certification entity? (ACE, Aquatic Exercise Association, AFAA, etc.) If the instructors don't have certification in at least one group fitness area, pass on the program.

What equipment do the instructors use in their classes? (Resistance mitts, hand buoys of varying densities, kickboards, leg resistance cuffs or fins, aqua joggers, AquaFlex paddles {which I think are close to useless, myself}, noodles {which I also think are close to useless, and unbearably stupid looking}) If they DON'T use equipment, OR if they use items not specially made for aqua (i.e. using empty milk jugs instead of hand-buoys), pass on it.

That should get you started.

Good luck!

Annette

Thank you so much Annette!! Im going to copy and save this on my computer so I will have it when I call to inquire about the classes. I appreciate you taking the time to write all this for me :)

Alison

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.