Is agave nectar 'clean'?

eminenz2

Cathlete
I've been avoiding artificial sweetners and white sugar but have started using agave nectar to sweeten my tea (iced and cold).

Is agave nectar considered a clean food? Are all sweetners 'unclean'?

How about tea? Clean or no? I drink chai tea with milk and agave nectar for breakfast.

Thanks!

Susan L.G.

I think agave nectar would be clean, or at least *cleaner* than other sweeteners! I love chai tea, I take mine w/ a splash of light soymilk & liquid Stevia. Yummy!

The Clean Eating militant Tosca Reno suggests agave nectar or sucanet. As long as you make healthy choices you don't have to get caught up in wondering which food is "Clean" and which isn't.

"The Clean Eating Millitant" Tosca Reno!:7 :7 if there was a bratty face with a tongue sticking out I would most certainly have inserted it here....;)

Yup, Ms Eat Clean Priestess Herself, Tosca Reno says Agave nectar is ok. If you want to go no calorie, try stevia, but be careful, a little bit goes a long way.

My Mom cannot drink her coffee or tea without any sweetener, the only thing no-calorie that I had to offer was stevia and she went a little - ahem - shall we say overboard, ahem, she did NOT look very pleased, but she did like it after she figured out the moderation thing :)

I don't sweeten any of my beverages anyway, makes me gag, but I do use agave nectar in small amounts on my oatmeal and my kids like it too.

I love agave nectar and can eat it straight out of the bottle (no joke, I have a wicked sweet tooth) and its 60 calories per tablespoon.
So I just use Splenda, have tried stevia and it doesn't cut it for me.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.