Advice on Constructing Routines

MasonK

Cathlete
Hello to anyone who may be able to help. I am planning on getting ACE certified, but unfortunately cannot take the test until February -- SO, I am trying to put together a kickbox routine based on what I already know and my experiences - ala Cathe and others. Bottom line -- I was at it for NINE hours yesterday! I did manage to construct what I THINK will be a good routine -- but was looking for advice on music and breakdown. Also -- what if participants (my sister and a friend) can't keep up - should I just stop the tape and march in place until they're ready to continue? Also - I used my own CD's -- so finding the proper music/beat was pretty time consuming in and of itself. Sorry to be so long-winded, but I just thought that there may be some of you instructors out there who may be able to offer some quick advice on what works best for you -- or what I should avoid. I know I will learn more of this as my studies for the test begin -- but I wanted to try first to see if I really had "what it took" to be a group fitness instructor -- and since the adult ed program in my community can't find a kickbox instructor this semester -- My sister and friend asked if I would give it a go... Okay -- that's it. Thanks in advance! Kathleen

Hi, Kathleen! You may also want to post this question on the Turnstep Instructor or Kitchen Sink forums (www.turnstep.com), as well as checking out its Patterns board and its "Moves" forum. I'm not a kickboxing instructor myself, but I understand that safe speeds of music for KB are in the 130-140 bpm range. You may also want to check out a couple of the aerobics music websites and go into their offerings for kickboxing music, like my fave Power Music (www.powermusic.com), to get a feel for what the going music speeds are.

Hope I'm not conveying stuff you have already tried! Good luck!

Annette

Hi! I am a fairly new instructor....since May actually. First off, I have found it all to be MUCH harder than I anticipated. I would HIGHLY recommend buying tapes from one of the aerobics music companies....Power Music or Dynamix Music...there are others too. I just taught my first kickboxing class last week and felt awful after it. I ordered thru Reebok Univ a study guide on how to teach it. Its ok. At least with kickboxing there are only a small amount of core moves. Step drives me insane. If your participants can't keep up I would suggest you bring the class down more to their level. One thing I keep trying to remember is I'm teaching for THEIR benefit, not mine. I'm running out of other suggestions for you. If you find out any great tips pass them on!!!! Good luck to you!

Thanks CBelle -- Always appreciate the helpful comments -- and God Bless all those instructors out there! It certainly is ALOT of work!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.