Advice on becoming a certified personal trainer

Mos Nef

For all of you out there who are already certified personal trainers and/or group fitness instructors, can you offer any recommendations to me on where I should seek certification to start (ACE, NASM, ISSA, etc.)? Is there a significance in the difference among them and how they are regarded in the industry, other than prices for the exams and study materials?

I'm leaning toward ACE simply because they're all so expensive and it seems to be the least pricey. Also, is anyone aware of any resources where one could purchase used study materials? It looks like there aren't any at the library, and no luck on my city's Craig's List. I have a fairly good base level of knowledge about exercise, nutrition and fitness from my own pursuits-- certainly more than the typical layman (probably merely on par the typical Cathe fan), but certainly not enough to be able to pass an exam without the study materials associated with it. Shelling out so much money just to study for a test is daunting and not really an option.

Finally, any overall words of wisdom or suggestions are welcome from all you trainers out there. Thanks.

Many of the certifications have a particular focus. NASM toward corrective exercise, ACSM cardiac issues, CSCS strength training, ACE, NETA, and ISSA are all fairly general. I would check with potential employers to find out what certification they are looking for.

Another option you didn't mention is NETA. In full disclosure I am a presenter for NETA and give the weekend classes so I am biased. They are one of the less expensive certifications and they are also one of the few accredited. The class and the test are only $349 and the test only option is $249. The manual is $45 and the additional study guide and practice test are $25.

Whatever certification you choose you definitely need to allow a fair amount of time to study (at leatst 1-2 months of serious study). The tests include physiology, kinesiology, biomechanics, anatomy, in addition to exercise recommendations and information on special populations. Remember that any review class you take is for review and clarification purposes and you can not learn everything you need in one weekend class.

You can PM me if you have any other classes.

Shayne

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.