this is about my son!!!

monkey15401

Cathlete
My son is 17yrs he is 6'2 and has alittle tummy not fat though
He doesn't exercise but he has been lifting a little he steals my weights sometimes but anyway my question is he is worried about his chest around his nipple area is fatty could anyone tell me if you think maybe he is still going through puberty or does he just need to exercise his chest area he is so upset over this I would appreicate
if anyone knows anything about this. He wants me to take him to a doctor he is so upset.
Thankyou Teresa

Hey Teresa,

My brother went through this in his teenage years. He was skinny and had fat area his nipples. This is something that bothered him for a while and he even wore a shirt to go swimming in the summer time. I can tell you that this is something will go away. I think it is something hormonal in some guys. My brother is still small and has a flat chest now. If you want to get it checked then you should but I have heard and seen alot of this situations in teen boys.

kim

Thankyou so much I am gonna take him to a doctors to ease his mind though Beause he just is so worried it won't go away I am gonna let him read this hope it will ease his mind alittle.
He does the same thing that your brother did wears a shirt swimming he is just so embarrassed over this I just hope this goes away on him soon !! Thankyou again I needed someone's info on this to ease my mind also.

Teresa, have your son read this. I found it by googling "enlarged breasts on teenage boys". I remember my son going through a slight enlargement a year or so ago (he's 18 almost 19 now), but it wasn't enough to bother him. I did notice it though. I hope this relieves any worries you might have:

Adolescent Health and Wellness
: Breast Enlargement in Adolescent Boys

Why does this occur?

Enlarged or swollen breasts are seen quite frequently in teenage boys. This is called "pre-pubertal gynecomastia". As a boy enters puberty, many hormones are made that act to develop the secondary sex characteristics such as, pubic hair, genital growth and deeper voice. This complex process, controlled by the brain, results in high levels of hormones in the body. Some of these hormones originate from and thus resemble female hormones.

In some boys the levels are so high, the breast gets stimulated to grow by the female type of hormones. It is not unusual that some boys, and even girls, develop breast buds at a different pace; in other words, one breast is larger than the other. This occurs because there may be a difference in sensitivity to the hormone by each breast. Because the breast tissue is stimulated, the breast may be tender or painful. A thorough physical examination is usually enough to confirm the diagnosis related to pubertal changes which usually resolve in 1-2 years. Once the cause is confirmed, some pressure is taken off as there is no need to worry.

How can boys cope with enlarged breasts?

Although not a serious medical problem, the social effects of enlarged breasts on boys may be quite worrisome. Adolescent boys are quite sensitive to being picked on, and of course this can be a source of embarrassment in public. While recognizing that this is a potential source of stress and shame, the answer is not to completely withdraw from activities that expose the enlarged breasts.

Depending on the situation, a boy can wear a T-shirt with a bathing suit saying that he was sun-burned as an example. On the other hand if a boy understands that it is just a temporary and normal part of growing up and is mature enough to be able to tell this to his friends and school mates, this is another route.

The extent to which a boy should shy away from these situations depends on the degree of shame or embarrassment the affected boy feels... not necessarily what he is called. Happily, in most situations boys can live through this period and really not suffer psychologically in the long term. Support, understanding and clear explanations go a long way in helping teenage boys deal with temporarily enlarged breasts during puberty.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.