9 year old/pull-up bar

bitmover

Cathlete
Ok, for Christmas my son got the Iron Gym pull-up bar -- he didn't ask for much, but that was on his list so I had my mom get it for him. He's going crazy with doing pull-ups and chin-ups. Every time he walks by the thing (many times a day), he does as many as he can do. I'm a little worried he's doing too much. Anyone have any knowledge on this?

thanks,
-Beth

Hey, Beth! DH installed one of those in my son's doorway a few months ago. Well, my 9-year-old, Colin is constantly on the thing. I don't think it will hurt him. With kids, if he overdoes it, he'd probably feel it and not do any more, if that makes sense? Colin's thing is now swinging on it like a monkey. You'll be walking down the hall and all of a sudden see this body flaying back and forth. I can't even come close to doing one pullup or chinup on the thing, but the boys have no problem. Of course, they're lifting at least half the weight I am.

Hey Beth and Joanne! :p:p

I just have to say, my 9 year old AMAZES me at the playground by doing pull ups without any effort! And then I figured it looked so easy, tried one, and miserably failed!!!!

WTH??

I bet Joanne is right, as long as they don't FEEL soreness or pain, he should be ok!

Ok, cool -- yep, that makes sense that he will be self-monitoring. I'm still amazed that he just can keep doing them! My younger one does the swinging thing -- it looks like a blast I have to admit.

Ok, girls.... see you back at the checkin! :D

-Beth

I bought one for myself and put it in the kitchen doorway and everytime my 17 year old walks through the doorway he has to do a few pull ups. Just thought I'd throw that in....

Happy New Year to all!!!

g_lynn

I have mine in my bedroom doorway. Many times a day, I pull myself up just to do it. I'll only do one or two, but wow, those have added up. The only place that bothers me if I do too many is my hands where the callouses build. My DD(8) climbs the doorway and swings on it like a monkey too - glad to read she is not the only kid out there doing that!

Let him knock himself out. That way, he'll be too worn-out to get into trouble!
I think you should take it to the next step and get him a pair of Perfect Push Ups... maybe P90X! But seriously, with the obesity rates among children being what they are I think you should be overjoyed he doesn't have his butt planted in a chair, playing video games.

Remember that HUGE snow of last winter? A bunch of us were outside cleaning off our cars and shoveling our walks. We were trapped and not going anywhere but I guess we had high hopes or maybe we just had to get outside because of cabin fever. Once I was done cleaning my car I was helping a neighbor clean his. Eventually, we wound up talking about how sad it was that the only people outside were adults. Huge drifts of snow and all the kids were inside playing video games. It was just so sad.

So be grateful when your kids LIKE exercise.

Stacey, that is sad about the snow and no kids playing in it! Thanks for all of your replies. I am grateful that my kids enjoy exercise and mostly eat sensibly (albeit a little too white!). They do spend their fair share of time on their butts, but my 9 year old holds the school curl-up record, he's on the school mile chart, and my seven year old is not far off from it and I think will get there in the next couple of months (they time the 1st-5th graders in a mile run once a month, rain or shine -- I love our school!).

happy new year everyone!

-Beth

Just wanted to chime in that he should be fine!!!

Growing up we had a pull-up bar in our kitchen doorway and we were always on it. My brother and I held the pull-up records at our elementary school at 17 and 15, respectively when we were in 4th and 5th grade.

How cool that he would ask for that as a gift!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.