"Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus"

bayerngirl

Cathlete
I had the pleasure of meeting Dr. John Gray, the author of “Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" at the USAREUR conference in Bernkastel-Kues/Germany on Thursday and Friday. His seminar was hilarious, and very enlightening at the same time! He had us Army wives and men all laughing the entire time. How many of you read his books and used his techniques to improve your relationships with your spouse?? Did you like the book?? I have asked my DH to read the book first, since he needs improvement! LOL!

Belinda

RE:

Nobody read this book?????????????????
Anybody out there???????????????

I now realize why nobody answered me! The Atlantic has dried up, the satelites are down and all forms of communication are cut off to the outer world. Europe has become isolated from the rest of the world. We are alone, I no longer have acess to Cathe's forums, in fact, I must be sending this email to myself!!!

In order to maintain my sanity, I will start to answer myself in order to ensure that the forum is up and running in Europe when the Ocean fills, the satellites are up, and communication as we once knew it is back in place. LOL!!!

Belinda

RE:

>Nobody read this book?????????????????
>Anybody out there???????????????
>
>I now realize why nobody answered me! The Atlantic has dried
>up, the satelites are down and all forms of communication are
>cut off to the outer world. Europe has become isolated from
>the rest of the world. We are alone, I no longer have acess
>to Cathe's forums, in fact, I must be sending this email to
>myself!!!
>
>In order to maintain my sanity, I will start to answer myself
>in order to ensure that the forum is up and running in Europe
>when the Ocean fills, the satellites are up, and communication
>as we once knew it is back in place. LOL!!!
>
>
>Belinda

Lol!! Belinda, you're cute! I haven't read the book, but I've seen him in interviews and I agree that he uses humor to good effect :)

RE:

We're all busy thinking about pumpkin pie :~)

Yes I have read his books and think he's WONDERFUL. It was the first time that I realized that men and women really do see the world differently, and it has helped me a lot in my marriage and in my relationships with guys at work, etc. DH and I joke about the differences between us now whereas before we would have gotten frustrated with each other. I think he's done a really great service to people, because his whole approach is that there's not a right versus wrong side of how to see an issue, it's just more of a different way of viewing things.

RE:

Hi, Belinda! I haven't read the book myself, but I have a dear friend whose 20-year marriage went through a truly horrible patch (husband had an affair, lost his job, basically "blew up" their world)...and through months of work together, my friend and her husband rebuilt their marriage. They both used the Mars/Venus book (and some intensive therapy) to evaluate their communication and relationship. I won't say the book saved their marriage, but it opened new lines of thinking and gave them some very useful information, and it was an important tool in their process. So that's my testimonial. How cool that you got to hear John Gray in person!

Allison

RE:

Belinda, fret not, we were just thinking up our thoughtful replies! ;)

I have read most of his books including Mars and Venus on a Date after I got divorced.

I like his approach right up to a point and I think it's great how many people he's reached and helped. He really did help me understand some things.

The person I like best now for relationship advice is a man named Terrence Real. I recently finished a book by him titled something close to The New Rules of Marriage.

His approach is a little different than Gray's, I want to say a little deeper or more involved with taking responsibility for yourself within your relationship.

So, that's my $.02! :p

RE:

I love John Gray. So cool you got to meet him. My SO and I bought the book so we could have mini therapy sessions together. We just started this a couple weeks ago.

RE:

I was totally impressed with the funny aproach he took to make us understand the difference between men and women. I wished I would have read his books years ago, I have been married for 24 years! I believe it would have saved us a lot of frustrations with each other! The two briefs he gave along with the personal discussion convinced me to read and share his online seminars with my DH.

Dr. Gray was actually a suprise guest speaker, I was not aware he was comming to the seminar, what a treat.

www.verticalawareness.com

Belinda
http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid16930497

RE:

I read the book years ago and I stilll follow his advice: men need to be praised 10 times more than you think they should.

"Oh Honey, you took out the garbage! THANKS!"

"I LOOOOVE the Chardonnay that YOU bought! Delish!"

"You put your cup in the sink! I appreciate it!"

Oh Man, it's totally ridiculous, but DH acts like he just won a trophy every time I do it.

Thank you, Dr. Gray. :7

RE:

It does seem ridiculous, but if your DH has also read the book, he's probably listening to what you have to say, cuddling you, etc., about 10 times more than he thinks he should! That's one of the great things about the book, he explains to guys, Yes it's REALLY REALLY important that you listen to her and not give her advice, and to the women, Yes it's REALLY REALLY important that you let him retreat into his cave occasionally. In fact this thread has got me wondering what all the advice was, I know I apply some of it but some of it I know I've forgotten. I'm going to dig it out and re-read it...

RE:

I've never read the book but I went to a seminar once that was based on his basic ideas. There was a lot of it that I really thought was sooo true but, for some reason, I had never really recognized or thought about it before. I think it is great the way he can really break down the different way that men and women see things and the different things that men and women value. I found it very enlightening.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.