"Hostel"-new movie release

Fit_mommy

Cathlete
OMG! Quentin Terrentino (spelling?) is CRAZY! I just saw the preview for this new movie of his "Hostel" coming out in January and just the preview would give me nightmares!!!
I admit I am a wimp when it comes to scarey, gorey movies but this movie looks INSANE! Is anyone in to this stuff? If anyone goes to see it, ya GOTTA post about it for me!

Terrentino has got some other movie(s) out...I think there is more than one...staring Uma Thurman...they are quite strange and quite gross. I was watching one with DH one night not knowing anything about it and got sooo grossed out by it that I walk out of the room whenever DH has it on now. He apparently likes the movie. He isn't bothered my gore, etc.

YIKES!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

RE:

i enjoy his movies. it seems to be my thing. i notice this new one is a big departure from his other films(kill bill and pulp fiction being a couple favorites). i am a horror film lover so this is like BIG time for dh and i. i hope it lives up to our horror expectations b/c some of the horror films out now are just not what we like. except for devil's rejects that movie was sick but it was pretty good.

kassia

When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be
disappointed to discover they are not it -- Bernard Bailey

RE:

Oh Kassia, I admire you! You are a brave girl! I gotta hear a little about this flick after you see it! Like I said, the preview scared the crap outta me so there's NO WAY I'd watch the movie!:eek:

RE:

Previews of it remind me a lot of "Saw."

Didn't Tarantino do "Reservoir Dogs" as well? Gory and intense, but not in a horror movie way.

And he's a horror movie buff (acted in some schlocky "Bordello of Blood" vampire movie).

Though Tarantino isn't as gory as David Chronenberg! When you see his name as director, you KNOW there will be lots of blood and guts (and probably images that look very genital in nature).

RE:

LOL! Wendy...I was expecting one of your links that would lead me to someone screaming or something!

I don't like scary movies either....I'm a wimp too!

Tammy

RE:

I saw a mini-preview on TV last night...it was a segment of the movie used as a commercial. This film looks deeply disturbing...not sure I want to see it. I love horror movies and love to be scared, but this one looks a little over the edge for my tastes. It's the kind of movie that when I left the theater, I would have an actual physical reaction to it. For example, I saw Event Horizon, and something about that movie was so disturbing that I felt physically ill after seeing it. I didn't get sick, but I just felt ill. That's the kind of feeling I get when I see the commercials for Hostel, even though I find it extremely intriguing at the same time. Try and figure that one out! Disturbing, yet intriguing. :p

RE:

>I saw a mini-preview on TV last night...it was a segment of
>the movie used as a commercial. This film looks deeply
>disturbing...not sure I want to see it. I love horror movies
>and love to be scared, but this one looks a little over the
>edge for my tastes. It's the kind of movie that when I left
>the theater, I would have an actual physical reaction to it.
>For example, I saw Event Horizon, and something about that
>movie was so disturbing that I felt physically ill after
>seeing it. I didn't get sick, but I just felt ill. That's
>the kind of feeling I get when I see the commercials for
>Hostel, even though I find it extremely intriguing at the same
>time. Try and figure that one out! Disturbing, yet
>intriguing. :p

Catwoman,

I know EXACTLY what you mean about it being so disturbing that you have a physical reaction to it and feel ill! I got that from watching "The Passion"! I actually walked out half way through because I couldn't take it anymore. I was sick to my stomach and felt like I wanted to toss my cookies! I would bet money this one would do the same to me as well!

RE:

I think Tarrantino is not the director of Hostel; he's just one of the producers. I've seen the previews and they look brutal (Tarrantino's gore is nothing in comparison). I don't know if this is a publicity stunt but they mentioned that they supposedly had paramedics when they showed this film to critics and people in the movie business. By the way, were you talking about Pulp Fiction with Uma Thurman, John Travolta, Sam Jackson and Bruce Willis? Or his most recent films with Uma Thurman?

I love Tarrantino's movies. The things he shows are so unbelievable to me that they crack me up.

RE:

DH and I just saw the preview for Hostel for the second time. I said, "I don't wanna see that one..." He said, "unt uh".

The previews scared the bejeebers outta me!

~ Kim

"Welcome the challenge...embrace it...don't fear it." - Cathe Friedrich

RE:

>I think Tarrantino is not the director of Hostel; he's just
>one of the producers. I've seen the previews and they look
>brutal (Tarrantino's gore is nothing in comparison). I don't
>know if this is a publicity stunt but they mentioned that they
>supposedly had paramedics when they showed this film to
>critics and people in the movie business. By the way, were
>you talking about Pulp Fiction with Uma Thurman, John
>Travolta, Sam Jackson and Bruce Willis? Or his most recent
>films with Uma Thurman?
>
>I love Tarrantino's movies. The things he shows are so
>unbelievable to me that they crack me up.

I sat through Pulp Fiction...didn't like it...but sat through it. That's not the one. It's not as bad as the movie I am thinking of but I still won't watch it (Pulp Fiction) again. This Uma Therman movie must be a newer one I guess...I have no idea what the name of it is.

RE:

>For example, I saw Event Horizon, and something about that
>movie was so disturbing that I felt physically ill after
>seeing it. I didn't get sick, but I just felt ill.

I know what you mean.

I have a pretty high tolerance for horror movies (I began watching them when I was pretty young), but there is something in Event Horizon that hits you in the pit of the stomach (something about the body being taken over? Something more than just creepiness?). Makes me feel the same way as the first really icky horror movie I saw (which wouldn't phase me today, I'm sure) called "the Folks at Red Wolf Inn." They weren't serving rack of lamb...they were cannibals!!

ETA: maybe it's like "Fear Factor." I don't watch the show, but I've caught a couple of segments and ads. Some things they do are really "frightening," like jumping from the top of a moving semi-truck onto the top of another truck. Or bungie jumping kinds of things. Other things aren't really frightening, but "gross," like eating bugs, or having someone chew something up--a mish-mosh of eyeballs and other gros things, and spit it out, and their partner drink what they spit out---they talked about that one on 'The Soup."

It's the 'gross out" factor rather than the "scared" factor.

I like being scared. Being grossed out is just a cheap shot, IMO.
Some good horror movies, IMO, aren't even that gross. Some have more blood and gore, but they are scary, and not just gory.

RE:

I am not into torture scenes, etc. I enjoy the old horror movies, but this is just not going to be one I would want to watch, and I will not let my teenage children watch it either. It just looks way too disturbing in my opinion.

The only torture I like comes from Cathe! YEAH!!! LOL!

Charlotte~~

RE:

O.T., but, I saw Event Horizon too, Catwoman. I also found it incredibly disturbing,in a different sense from other horror flicks.

Marla

RE:

I was surprised to these previews and then Tarantino being associated with it. Tarantino does have a lot of blood & gore in his movies but they are so comical, almost absurd. I don't find them that frightening. This one looked very different. Even Dh said he didn't want to see this.
:eek:

RE:

Ok, I don't like horror movies, but I think it's ok if people do. BUT, what really ticks me off is when they show such upsetting previews/commercials. I have seen the one you are referring too. It came on while we were watching a James Bond flick - Me, my 15 y/o, 12 y/o and 4 y/o. Luckily, I was able to jump up and cover my 4y/o eyes, but they had to keep showing the commercial at almost every break. I just gave up on 007 and changed the channel. I was upset from the ad and can't imagine how it would affect a kid.

It's the same with Fear Factor. A few years back they showed an ad and my middle dd was upset for a week and wouldn't sleep in her room alone. Marnie J.

RE:

I know what you mean when you say that certain movies give you a sick feeling, and this is one of them for me. It is the same feeling when I watched "Seven" and "8 mm". There are just some movies that showcase the utter depravity of human nature, and to think that someone sat down, thought these things up, and decided to make entertainment out of it....it is too much for my mind to handle. It literally makes my stomach nauseated. I can say for certain that this movie will NOT be getting any of my money. Pam

RE:

I love horror and suspense, but I don't like gore for gore's sake, which this movie definitely looks like. Classic horror films build suspense and fear by letting you use your own imagination, and creative directors (think Alien) don't need to show alot of blood and guts to scare you (Blair witch!). And I agree w/the reply that said you've got to wonder about those who actually sit down and think up this stuff. I think, I too, would be physically sick from this film. Wouldn't spend a dime to see this.

RE:

> Classic horror films build suspense and fear by letting you use your own imagination, and creative directors (think Alien) don't need
>to show alot of blood and guts to scare you (Blair witch!).

I agree, but not about Blair witch. That movie was all suggestion, without any gore that I remember. And it being in black and white made any gore (was there even any blood shown?) less gorey.

Even comparing movies like "The Omen" (suspenseful, scary, some gore) with "The Omen 2" (I think it was this one, or maybe 3?, which seemed to be just about showing how many creatively gorey ways people could die), the originals are often more suspenseful, while the follow-ups just up the gore quotient.

I still think it looks a lot like "Saw," but "Saw" had both gore and suspense (thinking about what would happen to the woman if the metal mask she had on would rip her jaw open, which it didn't because she got out of it in time). The gore wasn't just gratuitous, IMO.

One of the creepiest (in a good way) recent horror movies for me was "The Ring." That scene where the girl comes out of the well on the TV, and you KNOW something really bad is going to happen, then she herky-jerky crawls out of the TV. I think they ruined "Ring 2" by making the "monster" more sympathetic, and showing the girl's face rather than just the stringy hair and the eye and making her seem more to be pitied than feared.

RE:

I'll be going. I love these wild kind of movies and I loved Pulp Fiction. It was "out there". My husband will go with me, but he has to cover his eyes while I sit there and laugh. Yes.....I'm not quite right upstairs....I guess. I guess in the back of my mind, I'm always thinking "it's just a movie" and it's not real.....so it doesn't really bother me.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.