WHAT TAPES TO USE TO GET LEAN AND SLIM BODY RATHER THAN BIG MUSCULAR ARMS THIGHS AND CALVES HELP!

H

Hippychick

Hi,

I know you guys are experienced with a lot of exercise tapes from The FIRM to Cathe's... from kickboxing to hi-lo step to circuit training. I would want to get into weight training but am so anxious about getting all big and muscular. I actually prefer the lean and slim look- sort of like a dancer(not thin but fit)-think Kari Anderson and Karen Voight...not a female bodybuilder look.Of course we all dream of looking even half as good as Cathe but I wonder if she does purely heavy weights? You see, I read in another post that one girl tried Cathe's heavy weight work 2x a week and now she has a big chest and lats. Anyway which among the FIRM and Cathe's tapes gave u a lean look. Is it true that if I do STEP aerobics 5x a day, my legs and calves will be big and muscular. Do you think running or jogging on the treadmill is the best for a slimmer body? I would appreciate any advice. If you have a diet that u tried and worked for u in helping lose pounds, please help too!

Thanks!!

It's called G-E-N-E-T-I-C-S. Some people (like me) can get bulky and muscular in a very short amount of time using heavy weights. I also know people who lift heavier weights than me and can't seem to build any muscle at all. It really depends a lot on genetics.

But as far as videos go, I have heard that the FIRM Classics are very good for becoming lean. I was doing a Classics rotation, but I was using the heaviest weights possible (and man- did my arms look GREAT!) I leaned out a little (only did the rotation 3 weeks), but then I became addicted to Cathe workouts and put my FIRMs back on the video case.

If you tend to put on muscle quickly, you might try doing strength workouts with a comfortable weight (where you feel challenged but are not trembling at the end of the workout) and do that for a couple weeks, and see how it works gor you. You might want to rotate strength training days with jogging or running. I have heard several people over on the FIRM forum say that the way they finally slimmed their thighs was by running. I wish I could go running, but I live in a bad neighborhood and I just don't feel comfortable going out alone (not to mention there's no sidewalks to run on- and only a fool would try jogging down the streets around here.)

If you don't want to build muscles - just tone and define what you have - do more repititions of light weights. Kathy Smith has a good beginner video - Lift weights to lose weight - it is broken up into upper and lower sections. Within in each workout she gives you the option of lifting more reps with light weights (what you want) or following a plan that only does two sets with heavier weights. It is a good introduction to weight training. I am new to Cathe but I think her power hour uses lighter weights. Try the firm classic series - you can always adjust the weights - you won't bulk with these tapes. Also, just lift 2x a week and have you tried pilates? You would probably love it because they don't use weights but the instructors have long, lean bodies. Try the Stott mat series.

thanks for ur advice! yes, a lot of people have told me that running does slim ur thighs. moreover they say running is the fastest way to slim down. i havent really done all out running. i would usually fast walk for 3 mins then run for 2 mins on a treadmill ...do the same thing for the next 25 mins for a total of 30 mins. someday i would like to run for 30 mins straight.

i did not purchase Cathe's strength training tapes yet as i feel im still an intermediate in the use of weights. so i'll take ur advice and start with the FIRM and then when i'm stronger, i'll surely try Cathe's tapes.

thanks again!

thanks for ur suggestions! i have been reading a lot about Pilates. i think they do a better job of lengthening muscles and improving muscle tone. have u tried cathe's power hour already? how was it? i dont have that tape yet. what is the weight of the barbell that u used? i recently ordered a Soft Stik which is similar to the Body Bar but u can add more weights to make it reach 24 lbs. i think

RE: Power Hour

I would definitely recommend Power Hour. Lighter weights and more reps than PS or SH. You hit every muscle and then some... it is tough! It's a great endurance workout as opposed to mass-building. As far as cardio, I prefer running to anything else. I don't do aerobics because it's too much impact on my shins & ankles after running 5x/week. Important things to remember if you want to start running: Get high quality shoes at a running store, take rest days (no running) especially when you first start, ALWAYS stretch after a run, drink lots and lots of water, and proper nutrition is a must, especially complex carbs.

Good luck! And have fun!

marnie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.