What should my very first Cathe dvd be???

cheryllynn

Cathlete
I have just discovered cathe on fittv in the last couple wks. I think she is just awesome and such an inspiration. I am 36 and have had 3 children(all c-section) and sometimes feel like "oh i'm getting old...or...I don't look THAT out of shape.Then I see how you guys are my age and older and look so fantastic. I'd like to drop about 7 lbs and MUCH fat on the tummy, some on thighs and arms. I am 5 ft tall and a Very petite build..so the 7 lbs may not sound like much, but believe me I look flaaaaabby!
I don't have a step, I do have several dumbells(2.5,5,7.5,&10) and a barbell with some plates, but now I want to get the troy lite one :( as mine is too big and bulky.
Anyway, my goal is to trim dowwwwwn and get some nice showy muscles (shouldn't be hard as short as my limbs are}(
What is everyone's recommendation for me. I usually do cardio on the treadmill...but i'm willing to give step a try (whatever is the fastest results) and I enjoy the weights. (notice I didn't say i enjoy the cardio;)
I've taped some of the workouts and have been doing them and Man am I sore.:eek: I was going to tape Imax2 today and i slept through it and forgot to turn on my darn vcr.x(
Thanks for your input!!!
cheryl

Hi Cheryl and welcome! I'm 5'1" and know what you mean about how 7 lbs can look like much more on our bodies!! We're just too short for our weight, right ;)

I'd highly recommend getting a club length step b/c so many of Cathe's workouts, cardio especially, use it. It's also used as a weight bench. I think the weights you have now are enough to get you started, but you'd probably need to purchase a set of 12 lb dumbells soon. I've since purchased 15s, 20s and 25s.

Are you going to be purchasing dvd or vhs?? DVD's are hands down the way to go especially with Cathe's workouts b/c of the premixes offered on each dvd...more bang for your buck!

I'll provide a list of dvds that don't contain stepping or at least one of them on a multiworkout dvd doesn't. It's very easy to substitute/modify moves if you dont have a stability ball or medicine ball. One of my BEST purchases (after my step and barbell) was my stability ball though. I LOVE IT!

Since you're new to step, one of your first purchases for step might want to be her Basic Step/Body Fusion dvd.

Here are some non-step dvd workouts to look at. You may also want to look on the Firm Ya Ya's forum (there's a link to this site on Cathe's site) b/c you can often buy or trade Cathe workouts.

1. Bootcamp/Muscle Endurance dvd
2. Pyramid Upper Body/Pyramid Lower Body
3. Kick Punch and Crunch/Legs & Glutes
4. Supersets/Push Pull (good for just starting out)
5. Kick Max
6. Core Max
7. The Gym Style new workouts
8. Cardio Kicks/Circuit Max dvd
9. Pure Strength dvd
10.Slow & Heavy dvd (I'd probably wait on this one personally)

I'm sure I've probably left off some goodies! Let us know if you need any more help spending your money ;) Personally, my first choice(s) would be the Bootcamp/Muscle Endurance dvd so you're getting some cardio and also the Core Max dvd which has great ab exercises (but you'll really need a stability ball for this one!) My runner ups are the Pyramid dvd and the KPC/Leg&Glutes dvd, great ab section on this one too!

Congrats on taking another step towards better health and a better body!

Stacy

I have a stability ball, and 2 5lb weighted danskin balls. They are like medicine balls, but were cheaper and have a sorta squishy feel.
I have recorded boot camp and muscle endurance, legs and glutes, pyramid lower body, and pyramid upper body and biceps and triceps.
WoW 15's 20s and 25's you must be really buff. I can't imagine using that much weight. I feel such a burn now with my 10's doing the squats, especially the low endsx( I will probably get the basic step/body fusion dvd. I've read a lot of positive on here about it.
Does everyone have a high step or do some people just add onto their club step?
Thanks!
Cheryl;-)

I'm only 5'1" and I have a Reebok step that goes up to 10 inches which is fine for me, but overall I dont do alot of the high step work which is mostly leg presses b/c I have some knee issues. The Reebok step is 6, 8, and 10 inches and I also purchased a separate step platform that is only 4 inches b/c my knees were needing more of a break. I got just the platform for about $25. From what I've seen on my dvds you don't really need the high step if you purchase extra risers for your step.

Thans for the "buff" comment, but I have too much fat over my "buff" muscles lol. I'd consider eventually purchasing the workouts you have taped off Fit TV b/c you really do miss something not getting the whole workout, plus you'll get all the extra premixes.

I wonder how cathe does it. She uses a real high step doesn't she?
She looks pretty short also.
I have seemingly some knee issues lately myself. I'm hoping it's just because i took so much time off of exercising and am really hitting it hard now. Hopefully I will get used to it and the tightness and strange feeling in my knees will go away.

I personally vouch for the Basic Step/Body Fusion DVD for the first time. It took me a few times before I could follow pretty good. She cues sooo well! After you move on to her other DVD's you can loan the first one to those who are interested in starting on Cathe cuz I'm sure they'll see a difference in you! I plateaued for years even though I was fairly careful eating and cycled a lot. I'm 5'2" and have weighed between 118 and 120 for the last 2 to 3 years, couldn't budge the weight or inches. After a month with Cathe, I've lost 3 pounds and my abs are getting flat and firm. I actually can feel muscles in my thighs now. All I can say is wow!

Jeanette

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.