What about gym style legs????

taprice

Cathlete
Hello all,

I just did gym style legs. It is deceptively difficult, and I'm sure that it will find a nice spot in my rotations, but what are other people's impressions? Unfortunately for me although I'm sure floor work is effective, I hate floor work and have to force myself to do it.

Tracy

Hi Tracy,

Now I am just the opposite at times. I like floor work and some of the body resistance/nonweighted exercises. This type of training really fine tunes my legs. I find that standing leg work is more endurance. Sometimes, I'm not up to endurance standing leg work and would rather use gym machines. On first attempt, I did enjoy this workout and know that I must incorporate these tried and true standing exercises.

jordan

Tracy...it all depends on what kind of results do you want in your legs...or what works for you. I love floor work but usually only do it once a week. I really liked Gym Style Legs and will use it as more of an endurance workout along with 2 strength workouts I do weekly. If you hate the floor work and don't need it....then definitely skip it..My hamstrings were screaming form this workout....:)...Carole

I liked this one too. Its definitely an endurance type workout and a great one but since I prefer slow and heavy work, I will use this one less frequently in my rotations. The slow lunges at the end were great! The floor work had some killer exercises ( where does she think these up?) and I will probably frequently tack the floor work onto the other workouts I do for lower body.

Carole,

My hamstrings were also screaming, my legs were screaming by the end. So you do two strength leg workouts weekly and an endurance one? I've been doing one of each and would definitely use gym style legs as an endurance workout. I always feel I need floor work, just to balance out what I do (plus I have a genetic tendency for saddlebags.) My goal is to improve my stength, speed, and endurance for when I start my road biking again. Any suggestions? It's probably similar to the long distance running you do, but much less stress on the joints. That's why I got the bike.

Tracy

Tracy

I love, love, love this workout. During the slow lunges and outer thigh work my legs were just burning. Cathe has a way of making you stick with the workout too. During the outer thigh workout where you are on your back with your legs straight up in the air with the band wrapped around your feet, Cathe makes this comment betting that everyone was probably letting up slack on their bands just about now. I laughed out loud.
The ball work was more difficult for me as I am not used to using one. I kept rolling around during the one-legged hamstring/glute work.
I will definately be doing this one often.

Chrissy

I loved this workout and I know I'll do it once a week to alternate with my heavy leg routine. I loved the way Cathe used the band - in fact I'm surprised how much I like using it. I like doing both standing and floor work and all the exercise variety in this workout. This one gets an A+ from me! :) :)

Jo

Tracy...I have always worked my legs 3 times a week. I did a P90X rotation last year and only did 1 Cathe strength and then 1 P90X endurance for legs. I feel I lost some leg strength for running and I got more prone to some tweaky injuries, so I went back to what worked. I was also coming off an achilles injury at that time. I have noticed that I feel stronger now since I have done the 2 strength and 1 endurance and I am getting my running speed back...finally! I like floor work as I can gain easily in my thighs and floorwork seems to help. Not sure what to suggest but my current lower body rotation is 2 strengths (PS standing, PLB standing or S&H) and then 1 endurance with floor (L&G, TS5 or my fav now Gym Style Legs) You kinda have to play around to see what works. Yes, the bike would be a lot less stress on the joints! Good luck...and I hope this helps...:)...Carole

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.