Slow and Heavy Reviews

donnam

Just purchased slow and heavy series and wonder about other peoples results with this series. Increases in strength and mass for instance????? anybody have it?? Donna

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-16-01 AT 08:50PM (Est)[/font][p]Hi donnam, I just recently completed a four week S&H rotation, so I can tell you of my experience. I am a heavy weight junkie, so the S&H series was a must have for me.

I have gained muscle mass, and it's quite obvious, the only problem being that my diet is way less than clean these days, so I'm not "cut". If I didn't have the layer of body fat that I do, I would certainly look buff! I slacked on my cardio during this rotation, so that made a big difference too. Cathe has posted that it's perfectly allright to break up this series into one muscle group per day (just make sure that you get the proper warm-up and stretch), and I think that next time I may do just that and concentrate on getting an equal amount of cardio.

I started with pretty heavy weights, so I don't know how much strength that I gained. I did increase the weight a bit during the rotation, so I must have made some gains. My goal was to lift as heavy as I possibly could while maintaining perfect form.
You'll have to "tweak" your weights around to see what works for you, but you would be wise to "underestimate" your poundages to be on the safe side. I have noticed that the sit-and-stand squats in PS are not nearly the drudgery that they were before S&H. I did PH the other day also, and was able to increase my weight a bit (although it nearly killed me)!

I really love the S&H series and will get a lot of use out of it. I'm sure that you'll be happy with the series too. Keep us posted!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-17-01 AT 08:50PM (Est)[/font][p]Hi,
I have skinny flabby arms. My triceps atleast, I did this series and worried that I'd gain weight or that my arms would look bigger because I cut back on what little cardio I was doing...but after a month my arms were noticeable skinnier and my shoulders much nicer. I didn't get big arms but they were less fat for sure. So much so that it surprised me when I saw them in the mirror. I suppose it depends on how your body responds to certain exercises...my legs respond exremely well to weights and so maybe that's why my arms did too. I don't get bulky thighs just well defined. Although the arms arent there yet I think they would be easier to shape up than the belly! Love this series to death...it's wonderful!

Darn, no more reviews. I wanted to hear them too. I just know my husband got me S&H for christmas. You and I will have to write our reviews by the end of January Donna!

When I start S&H I am also going to have a new cardio plan. Instead of the hour of cardio I usually do, I am going to cut it back to 30 minutes and work as hard as I can. I want to get my heart rate up in to the 160's or 170's (if it is possible) instead of the 40's or 50's it is usually in.

At first I thought nothing was happening.I was more exhausted by Pure Strenght.I do it every 4 th week in my rotation and people at work are commenting that I look very strong.It really is a deceptive series.It's slow so you have time to build new muscle.It take time but it does work.I strogly recommend this series for your husband to.

Well I did get S&H!!! Yea, I knew I would, so the real surprise was that I got Rythmic Step too. Thanks for the reminder that I will need to be patient to see the results from S&H.

WHAT IS YOUR WEEKLY ROUTINE WITH S&H LIKE? I was thinking maybe Mon-chest& back; Wed--legs&shoulders; Fri--bis&tris; all other days aerobics. I am thinking that with a heavy workout I should only hit the muscle once per week and give it time to grow.

My husband works out some. He'll do MIS legs and CTX kickboxing, but he generally tends to prefer to do his own thing at his own pace.

Jeanne

When I do a S&H rotation, I don't include any other strength work in my weekly routine. At first, I was going to try to squeeze in a total body endurance workout with the S&H series, but it took me no time to realize that my expectations were unreasonable. But, I did lift as heavy as I possibly could, using perfect form, which requires lots of concentration and intensity!

I was also thinking of throwing in a total body workout! I guess I'll just learn from your experience and leave it out. Thanks, jeanne

I dislike these workouts with a passion. They take too long, are boring in pace, and I honestly tried the rotations with little results. I concentrated as suggested, etc. But the results were not worth the effort. The only redeeming qualities on this series is the Abs work in Part Three and the Shoulder Work in the First series. Other than that, I much, much prefer MIS or Power Hour!

I suppose it's up to everyone's fitness goals, but I tend to overdevelop muscle-wise, so the Slow and Heavy gets a Two Thumbs Down from me.

I have only done the chest/back & legs/shoulders tapes so far. (Unbelievable since I was so psyched to get them, but I went a away for a few days and then wanted to get in a total body workout after the time off).

Anyhow... I liked the chest, but was disappointed with the back routine. It didn't feel "powerful" enough. And I really didn't feel like the pullovers did anything for my back. I did a few sets of reverse flys 9at about a 20 degree angle) after the back tape to feel like I did something.

As for the legs... I must go heavier next time because my heart rate was not up at all. Also, I am not crazy about stationary lunges. My hips are not perfectly lined up (structural problem, thankfully not visible) and this move just doesn't feel right. I am going to try and subsitute something else. Not sure if one can do a back lunge this slow. Maybe a step up??

And the shoulders weren't so great either. I felt something funny as I did the front raise at an incline. But did like the hammer, then rotate variation. Why call it "heavy" if you can't go heavy?

My verdict so far... disappointed, but will try it again. I still have hope that I will grow to like this series. I have always enjoyed lifting heavy on my own. (Plus I haven't done bis and tris yet.)

Jeanne

I tried it for a couple of rotations, and saw nothing.

I think different people respond to workouts in different ways.

I am very cut muscularly, but I've always been able to put on muscle easily.

But oh, how I love Power Hour!

FOR THE RECORD: I have done week 3 of this series and like it more each time I do it. (Also, I am doing the static lunges.) Jeanne

I just completed 2 weeks of slow and heavy and I love it. I will definitely find a way to rotate it with pure strength. My body has responded quickly to this workout, I can't walk normal now, I have to strut! Cuz I feel so buff! :) After the first week I was increasing my weights.

I find I like doing shoulders first before legs. If I do legs first I get lazy when shoulders comes around. Started adding cardio on alternated days and watching what I eat...in 2 weeks I can already see the difference! If I could just keep this up! I'm seeing the batwing? Is that what its called? Then doing push ups I saw some cut in the delt...oh wow!!!

This was the first weight series I have used that I finally saw a difference in my body. I have developed nice definition in my arms and legs. I believe it was the first time I really concentracted on the amount of weight that I used and on proper form.

The other day I was walking down the hallway in my workout geat, a tank top and shorts, and my 13 year old daughter stopped in her tracks and said "holy mom are your ever looking strong".
Best compliment I have ever received and made me feel good that my daughter saw a fit woman and not a skinny "Kate Moss" person as a role model.

Just my opinion, and as Cathe says "take it or leave it".

I am just about ready to invest in these tapes. I love all of Cathe's and am wanting more muscle mass in hopes of kicking up that metabolism. My question is what the range of weights is that people are using. And, is a barebell absolutely necessary (if so does anyone know a good place to find an inexpensive collapsible one ... lack of space in my living room for more w/o gear!)? I am curious how much more $ I will have to invest purchasing equipment after I have depleted the funds buying tapes hahaha! Thanks for your input :-jumpy

I'm a new Cathe convert, basically a FIRMIE...so my weight range is still pretty much on the low end! here goes: Chest = 15s and 10s for the pressess. Flyes = 8s, 5s (hahaha) , Back = 15's;
Legs = 15 for pre exhausts, 35 lb barbell for squats & lunges, 28 lbs for plies and 15s for calves; Biceps= 15,10,8 Triceps = 8,5,3 (last set of those lying tricep extensions kill my elbows...the left shakes like crazy)my favorite is still biceps and triceps!
This series is the best split series I have come across, it took me awhile to get it but it is definitely worth it...absolutely NO REGRETS. I have moved up from a 20 lb barbell to 35 lbs...my legs feel strong! I added cardio to this routine 2x/week and in 2 weeks lost 5 lbs. That may not seem much to other people but for someone who has been stuck at 143 lbs for a full year, it is awesome! It took Cathe to blast that plateau!

Most of the moves in S&H are done with dumbbells. Right off hand all I can think of done with a barbell are squats and barbell curls. And some of the moves in this series require a lighter than usual weight because of positioning and the slow focused reps.

I'd say you could get away withOUT purchasing a barbell just so long as you have dumbells heavy enough to meet your needs squatting*** and chest press needs. I squat with 55 pounds on my barbell and press with 20-25 pound dumbbell for flat chest presses. Those are the heaviest moves. Tricep kickbacks are done with as little as 5 pounds!

***I assume you currently squat holding dumbbells. If you hold them at your shoulders, I wonder if you could do this with heavy weight. Would bigger ones be too wide and get in the way if you held them at your sides?? Just something to think about.

Jeanne

I only use a barbell when I go out into the "man's World" :-rollen ie my husband's shop where he has free weights and bench set up. The barbell just got in the way in the house. If only there was a TV out there I could have Cathe and all the weights I need! So, maybe I can get away with purchasing a set of heavier hand weights. Thanks for the help!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.