Side Lateral Pushups in Reebok Extreme Step

Yuck. I don't know, but those were one of the reasons I only did that tape two ti,mes. I think I strained my shoulder and my wrist with that weird move. Sorry this doesn't answer your question, but I just had to gripe!
:)Wendy

RE: Side Lat. Pushups & Front Delt Pushups

It is a different kind of push up--and potentially an injury waiting to happen, but I like it. I also like the other pushups done later in the tape--the one facing the short end of the step, with your wrists in a hammer position over the edge of the step. They really hit the front delts. In fact, I have started to use this pushup as my main front delt movement (for the last 2 weeks anyhow.) My front delts have been sore the next day after each workout. And regular presses rarely leave me sore for some reason. Jeanne

P.S. SOmetimes on back day, instead of the side lat pushups, I will substitute a one arm row. As you bend to put the dumbell back in place, you get in a position to do the tansition move back onto the step. I'm always modifying!

I think I might be in the minority, because I've heard others gripe too, but I absolutely LOVE that side lateral move! Gin is a great instructor, and I love doing this tape several times a month. It's one of my favorites. :)

For me, that 'push-up' primarily works my side laterals, but it also works my shoulders some. Every time I do this tape, I always wake up the next morning with my sides burning. I think this is the only tape I own (out of ~100) that really works my side lats. It's definitely the only tape I own that makes my sides really burn.

For me it helps to get my body really stable. I cross one leg in front, that way most of my weight is on my back leg. Then when I do the 'push-up', I concentrate more on lowering my hip, this allows me to continue to push my body up and down, but I don't feel a lot of stress on my hand, wrist or shoulder (because most of my weight is on my legs). I also wear weight gloves, so maybe that helps too.

So to make sure I am clear, you feel it in the LATissimus dorsi muscles (which are on each side of the back)?

By your "sides" do you mean the sides of your body, under your arm pit? I feel sore there after doing regular push ups.

P.S. thanks for responding even though the original post is so old!

I bet this is the type of exercise that can work different muscles depending on how you position yourself when you do the push up, but for me, I feel it in both my lats and in my obliques - more in my obliques than in my lats. When you say "under your armpit", are you refering to the muscles that run along your rib cage? I don't really feel it there so much, but when I really concentrate on contracting my shoulder and arm muscles, I feel it there too.

Lisa

Yes, I was referring to the muscles that run along the rib cage, sort of between the chest and back, along the sides. I bet you are right about how you position yourself. Gin really pushes up at the center of her body--perhpas working the obliques, and I don't it that way so much. Seems we are among the few that like this move! Jeanne

I'm not sure about this move- it's the only move I dislike in the video. I've tried and it's too tough to get comfortable, plus it hurts my hand, so I just do regular pushups.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.