Reps

tissie1

Is it better to do more reps at a lighter weight or less reps at a higher weight? Or does it depend upon your goals? I can't lift much with dumbells but I can do a little more with the barbell.

This is another delemina I am having about which video to get.
Thanks
Stephanie

Depends on your goals.
More reps at a lighter weight works endurance (how LONG can you lift), while fewer reps at a heavier weight works strength (how MUCH can you lift) as well as causing more muscle growth.

Whatever system you choose (and it's good to mix them up: doing some strength and some endurance), ideally the last 2-3 reps of a set should be difficult to do (but still possible with good form), and you should not be able to do more reps with good form. That is the most effective way to train.

The reason you can lift more with a barbell is that there are fewer stabilizer muscles that have to work to lift a barbell, and the strong side can help the week side out. Good reasons to not JUST do barbell work, but to include dumbbell work.

As for which video to get. What level are you at? What kind of workouts do you do already? Are you looking for cardio? strength? a combo?

Well considering how tough Cathe is I would say I may be more of a beginner in that aspect. I use the treadmill mostly for my cardio! I use the stability ball, a barbell workout, Tami Lees "I want that Body", etc. I guess you could say I am just getting into weights. It looks like you need variation and a combo of cardio/strength for it to be effective. I have lost weight and toned from doing these workouts and eating better. However, I want to tone MORE, I still have some dimpled skin and such. Adding some definition would be really nice too!!! First I would like to tone more and then add definition. My legs/butt are my primary objective at this point! But of course the rest could use some work too but my in most need of help areas is the leg/butt area.

Thanks for all the help. I feel like things aren't impossible after viewing this forum!!!

Stephanie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.