PUB for first time - need some help please

andieje

Cathlete
Hello

I have just done PUB for the first time. It was not what I expected!!!
I expected to use much heavier weights and have longer between sets.

I have a few questions...

One of the problems I had with the video is that I cannot use the same weight for the exercises in the superset. For example, I am much weaker on chest flies than on chest press. You cannot really change weights in between the 2 exercises as there is no pause between them. Does anyone else have this problem.

I was also surprised that there is no rest between the supersets. Is there some advantage to working out at this speed?

I actually found PUB to be more of an endurance type workout than strength training. How does everyone else find it? How does PUB affect your body shape? Do you find it builds muscle or helps sculpt the muscle?

It was nice to see the people gritting their teeth on the video. I am like that when I do slow and heavy but they aren't so I think they aren't pushing themselves to their heaviest weigths on that video :)

Thank-you all for your help. My next new workout is CTX upper body.
Andrea :)

I agree that PUB, because of its pace and the number of reps, is definitely more an endurance workout than a strength/mass builder. I love the format because it's so much more interesting than three sets of 10 reps. If I want to do more strength, I use the Pyramid Down premix and go heavy on the first two sets, and light on the last one. Regular use of PUB helps me both build and shape muscle, but probably more shaping than building mass.

If you need pauses between sets, take them! I know what you mean about the flyes into bench press - my problem is the opposite, I'm weaker on bench press. On that heaviest-weight set, I pause my DVD between the flyes and press - sometimes I drop down in weight, sometimes I don't. A 30-to-60 second pause isn't going to affect your results, especially if by pausing you are able to maintain good form.

Allison

It is very natural to be weaker doing flyes (an isolation move) than doing bench presses (a compound move that uses the anterior shoulder and triceps muscles to help the chest). What I do is start the first set a bit ahead of Cathe and the gang, and then change from my flye weight (for example, 12# on the first set) to my press weight (15# on the first set) then catch up with them. It takes a bit of "back chaptering" on my part at times, but I prefer to do the workout this way.

I also take my time (without being pokey, just not feeling rushed) when going between sets in PLB. I'm done changing weights at about the time Cathe et. al. are on the second or third rep of the next set, so I just chapter back again. I hate feeling rushed in a weight workout, and I don't want to feel like I am risking handling the barbell in an unsafe way just to keep up with the way the workout is presented.

Take all the time you need! There is nothing wrong with pausing the DVD to select a lighter weight for the flyes. All in your own time. And there's nothing wrong with playing aaround with the workout, once you know it, to make it better suit your needs and desires.

I never do the premixes, but sometimes I do want to go heavier than Cathe's pyramid format will allow me for particular body parts, so I usually turn the chest section into drop sets. I do 12 reps flyes and 12 press with 15 pounders, then 12 reps again of both exercises with either 15's again if I can manage it and if not, I drop to 12's, then immediately follow this with a other 12 reps at 10 pounds, whatever. Mix it about and make it work for you.

For back I usually do all the sets of the pull overs with 15's and 20's only, because this is a tough muscle to fatigue I find.

Sometimes I find the shoulder work is enough, especially if I have already worked chest and back really hard, but at other times I find it light. At those times I repeat the whole shoulder section, mimic the pyramid format but do reps of military presses and that exercise whose name I can't remember where you pull the bar or weights in front of you up to the chest, with your elbows pointing outwards!

So you see, there are plenty of ways to work it! And yes, this is one tough workout.

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.