protein

JAS

For those who like to add protein to every meal: why wouldn't milk count? I ask because I hate eggs and want to get some protein in at breakfast. I noticed that an egg has 6 grams of protein where a cup of milk has 9. Add my usual cup of raisin bran, which has another 6, and I've got 15 grams, plus a good dose of fiber. So does it matter where the protein comes from? Why when people talk about protein is it always eggs, fish, poultry, beef, nuts and beans? Why wouln't dairy be included? It seems to me it does double duty(calcium plus protein). Could someone help me out on this? Thank you!
Jackie

Re: Dairy does count!!!

As long as you get your protein the source does not matter. People sometimes can't drink milk so they get their protein intake from fish, beef, nuts, etc. If you're not lactose intolerant go ahead!!! Milk is an excellent source of protein, calcium, vit d, and other nutrients. Just make sure is skim milk so you don't drink the extra fat and calories that whole milk has.

One thing I do is add a 1/2 of a scoop of whey protein powder to a 1/2 c. of milk for my breakfast. Then you get another added "punch." I make it at night ahead of time, it is better after it sits over night. I thickens right in the milk, and you can't even taste it.

Dairy products are definitely considered protein sources!! Many bodybuilders avoid dairy because it tends to cause bloating. But for average people lifting weights - and especially women - dairy is an excellent source of protein, and calcium and vitamin D. Go for it! I would suggest drinking organic milk so you can avoid consuming antibiotics and growth hormones (BGH or Bovine Growth Hormone) that are given to cows by the dairy industry.

marnie

Realized I should have posted in General Discusson, sorry! But thanks for helping me out with this, I've been confused for a while. I guess because when I look at the food pyramid, I don't see dairy under protein! Thanks!
Jackie

Hi Jackie---Have you considered switching to a cereal that has protein in it? Kashi Go Lean and Go Lean Crunch are both very tasty cereals that have soy protein (8 & 9 grams a serving). You can add some skim milk and you'll end up with at least 16 grams of protein! I've also discovered Powerbar's Protein Plus bars---the sugar free kind. 16 grams of protein plus other vitamins. Suzanne

Thanks, Suzanne. I'll check it out the next time I go shopping, probably better than raisin bran. I know it has too much sugar, but I love the stuff! Jackie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.