Probably very stupid question about barbells

andieje

Cathlete
Hello

I have what is probably a very stupid question about barbells which I would rather ask here to spare my embarassment in a shop :)

I have a barbell set with spinlock collars. Naturally it is a real pain to change the weights.

I was wondering if I could buy a pair of spring release collars and use these with my barbell but I have never seen them so I don't know if the thread on the barbell would stop them from working.

Also, I have heard of barbell clamp collars but I do not know what they are and if I could use them either.

Thanks very much for humouring my stupidity :)
Andrea

Hi Andrea!

I bought spring release collars to replace the spinlock collars and it was STILL a pain because the spring release collars kept bumping along the threaded bar and getting caught. It drove me nuts, so I just bought a new barbell set -- the one from Walmart.com. It's a 55-lb. US Weight barbell set. The bar is straight (not threaded) and the plates are rubber. I can fly on those weight changes now!

I kept my 2.5 plates because the new set doesn't have them -- but it does come with (4) 10-lb. plates and (2) 5-lb. plates.

I absolutely love it!

Marla G.

Hello

Thanks for your reply. I am in the uk and it doesn't seem possible to get a cheap barbell set without the threaded bars. I'll stick with this one for now.

Thanks very much
andrea :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.