pre-IMAX2?

red_mct

Cathlete
Hi, ladies:

A question for you... sorry if this is a repeat.

I am having trouble with IMAX2. It looks like a really awesome workout, but my footwork is everywhere. The problem is I have been mostly into lifting and exercise-type cardio (bikes, treadmill), so step is challenging for me... I like the variety, but am so afraid of sending myself flying into the TV, lol.

Anyway, what is a good way to ease into IMAX2? I am assuming one of the earlier step videos gets you used to stepping and Cathe's choreography... advice much appreciated!

Thanks,
Marie

Cathe's choreography is great fun but takes a little while to get used to. I always watch the videos at least one time through w/o actually doing the workout. If there are steps I'm unfamiliar with I'll practice them in slow motion.

Also you eventually get used to Cathe's style so after a while new tapes aren't as difficult to get.

The only other advice is practice, practice, practice. It usually takes me at least 3 times to get the workout down. I still haven't nailed the third section of Rhythmic Step yet, & I've been doing Cathe's cardio workouts for 8 years now.

Hi Marie,

IMAX 1 has easier footwork. IMO it's tougher from an intensity standpoint, but the choreography is easier.

I just posted this on another thread, but it fits here as well:

I started off with Step Blast as my first Cathe workout. The choreography is a little fancier than Imax2, but it goes at a much slower pace, allowing you to keep up better than with Imax2. After mastering Step Blast, I started working on Rhythmic Step. Finally, I decided that I couldn't put Imax2 off any longer. I had been dreading it, thinking it would be really hard to learn the footwork...but having mastered two of Cathe's other complicated workouts beforehand, I found that Imax2 wasn't bad at all. I actually got the footwork on my first time through. However, had I not had the other two workouts under my belt, this would not have been the case!

Hi Marie,

Everyone gave you great suggestions so far. I also found whenever I need to learn new choreography, I do parts of the workout on a day that I have already exercised. I will tack on a portion or two after my workout or later that night. This way I don't have to worry about not getting a good workout. I know that sometimes I have ended up losing my heart rate because I end up stopping to see what they are doing on tv. I really love complex choreography and this really makes learning it a lot easier.

HTH
Aila

Thanks all for the advice; I really appreciate it!

I was thinking that I would just do a section at a time as a post-exercise thing until I get the footwork down... however, I also really like the suggestions to buy even MORE Cathe stuff!! }( }( }(

Marie

Marie, when I was new to Cathe, I would make learning-the-workout into a workout itself. I'd do the routines move by move. If I can't get it, I rewind and try again. Made me work up a good sweat after 30 minutes, and at the time it was enough for me. The trick is to get your body comfortable with the moves. That makes it easier to remember the sequences and patterns.

You might want to get Cathe's Basic Step DVD or her Classics DVD. The choreography in these workouts are simpler although the workouts are just as intense.

Pinky

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.