Newbie Needs Advice on Hour Long Workouts

lorajc

Cathlete
Hi Everyone,
I'm new. I just discovered Cathe about 3-4 weeks ago and I already bought about 10 DVD's. I haven't rec'd them all, but here's what I have on hand:
Video - Circuit Max, DVD's - step/jump/pump & blast; terminator;timersaver bodyblast; Bootcamp & muscle endurance; basic step & body fusion, high step circuit. On order: DVD's - Hardcore Extreme, High Step training advanced; Power Hour, MIS & Body Max; Supersets/Push & pull; new Hardcore Stretch, Kickmax, Muscle max, and Lowmax.

Here's what I need help with. Before I purchased all of these, I assumed they all had premixes on them and now I've discovered that only certain ones do. The premixes are very important to me because I work out prior to work every morning and in order to get to work on time, I need to get up at 2:30 am to exercise for an hour in the AM. The DVD's I have that are longer than that are going to be a problem. I love the premixes because it usually has shorter versions premixed. This morning I did The Gauntlet and I had to skip a few sections to get finished in an hour and I didn't feel like I had a good enough work out (part of it was due to not knowing how heavy to lift, as I'm not familiar with it yet).

Does anyone else have this problem and what do you do? I read my DVD manual and looked at programing chapters, but it looks like a lot more work than I have the patience for and I gave up. Now, I'm broke and I'm thinking I should have gotten the DVD's Imax 2/Cardio & Weights and Kick PUnch, crunch, legs & glutes cuz I noticed they have the premixes.

The other question I have is this: Is there anyone else out there that has a cervical disc herniation and is unable to do things like squat thrusts, pushups on the floor or military presses? I was advised (long ago) to stay away from these movements, as it aggravates my musculature in the upper back and neck. Due to this, I feel like such a "lightweight", but if I do anything I shouldn't, I suffer with severe pain and swelling. Has anyone built up to being able to do these things with a disc herniation?

Sorry this is so long, but I've got lots of questions. Thanks in advance for your help everyone. It is really nice to find this community with people who are as interested in working out as I am. I've been exercising for the past 18 years religiously and I love doing home DVD's, videos, as I hate going to the gym. I'm very happy to have found Cathe. She reminds me of my dance teacher from long ago who was also very good at what she did and very tough as a teacher. Her name was Cathe also..........I'm babbling now!

Hello and welcome to the world of Cathe! Hope you like it here!:+

I find that even using Cathe's dvds that DON'T have premixes are great because you can create your own little work out...a mix n match sort of thing. I don't preprogram my dvd player either...too much trouble,lol...I just do a section and if I need to, I manually go back to the dvd menu and select the next chapter I wish to do, and so on until my "home made" work out is complete! It only takes a minute to switch between chapters. I don't find it too time consuming at all...

Hope this helps! :)

Have a great work out!

~Wendy~

I smoked my last cigarette on March 17, 2004 at 10:00 pm!

http://lilypie.com/days/050519/1/0/1/-5/.png[/img][/url]

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?WENDYMIN

Thanks for the response. When you say you manually pick & choose, do you mean that you know exactly what exercises, etc. they do in the section you are choosing, or do you just randomly choose? I feel like if I randomly choose, I won't get a balanced workout. I noticed the website has chapters, etc listed, but it seems like a lot of work to print everything and refer to it when working out (sorry...I'm a bit obssessive compulsive about some things).

The dvds have all have a section labeled "chapters" on the index page when put the dvd in. If you go to this area every thing will be broken down for you...ie-step segment #1, step segment #2, step blast #1..like that for cardio and for weights, yes, any dvd I have looked at breaks down a weight section by specific exercise so you can pick and choose each exercise you do deliberately if you do not want to do the entire weight work out as she has it on the dvd.

BTW-I think the break down on the web site of the chapters for each dvd is meant for those who want to pre-program so that they can print it out and program it in the dvd player as they find it on the sheet.

Hope this helps!:)

Have a great work out!

~Wendy~

I smoked my last cigarette on March 17, 2004 at 10:00 pm!

http://lilypie.com/days/050519/1/0/1/-5/.png[/img][/url]

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?WENDYMIN

Any suggestions for which DVD I should buy next? I'm looking at Imax 2 & Cardio & Weights. I also would like the new DVD's but I can only afford 1 more at the moment.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.