Need your recommendations please

shopgirl

Cathlete
I'm looking to add a few different workouts to mix things up a bit. I hear alot about P90X, Slim in Six, Janis Saffell and Powerstrike, but don't know anyone who has used them. I am trying to firm up hips and caboose.

I have the first 2 volumes of Tae Bo Advanced, but Billy's miscounting gets on my nerves, so I'm looking for something to supplement my Cathe's.

Any recommendations you can offer would be really appreciated. :)

Thanks.
Shopgirl

I used slim in six and did not like it. BORING!!! JMHO. Though I have seen others post either on here or at Collage (I forget which), that they did not like Slim in Six either. Have not tried any of the others you mentioned, sorry.

Have a great work out!

~Wendy~

I smoked my last cigarette on March 17, 2004 at 10:00 pm!

http://lilypie.com/days/050519/1/0/1/-5/.png[/img][/url]

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?WENDYMIN

I use Taebo - but I just got used to the miscounting. Even though he bugs you, you might still try Taebo Abs and Glutes - its intense and he really doesn't mess that one up. I have the Janis Saffel and Guillermo Gomez Hardcore Kickbox Circuit also - not bad.

Lisa

Hello,

I try everything. Here is my opinion,

I am doing the Slim Series - the next step up from Slim In Six - right now and I like them for a change. They are light weight, high rep workouts. I have only been doing them for about 3 weeks so I'm not sure what the results will be, but they are fun and challenging. Cathe's the best of coarse, but I would recomend them for something different.

I love Powerstrike. They are some pretty tough intense kickboxing workouts and they will have you sweating for sure. I did Tae Bo for a long time and this is a good couple steps up from from that. Some people don't like them because you do the whole workout on one side of your body, then do it again on the other side, but I actually like that about them.

P90X are hard and not much fun in my opinion, but I did follow through with the 90 days and got a lot more upper body definition. I don't care for these, but I think I'm in the minority there.

I am doing P90X right now and I am not crazy about it...it's not really fun. It will do NOTHING for your arse and hips. It is almost all upper body. I hope to stick with it to gain the "upper body definition" everyone raves about.

I know you are looking for something other than Cathe to mix things up, but do you have Muscle Endurance or High Step Training Advanced? Those work the lower body (and everything else) quite thoroughly...IMO. I pile on the weight (2 20pound dumbells) when doing leg presses and that sems to keep my hips and butt fitting comfortably in my size 0/1's!:9 :9 :9

Slim in 6 was soooooo boring! I tried it, and thought it was a complete waste of my money. The music is boring, the movements are boring, everything about it is boring. SAVE YOUR MONEY OR USE IT TO BUY MORE CATHE. Cathe is leaps and bounds better than Slim in 6, with far greater benefits.

I second the Slim Series recommendation. If you liked SIS than you'd definitely like SS, probably more so because it's more advanced.

This one's a long shot but I'd thought I'd mention it. A great lower body/booty firming workout series is the Lotte Berk Method. The workouts are the complete opposite of a Cathe workout because you use more pilates/ballet-inspired, tiny pulse movements. But, if done correctly you'll really feel it in the lower body. Many people on VF and other fitness sites have claimed these workouts have transformed their lower body. I've achieved great results when doing a rotation of these workouts, but it's been awhile since I've done them.

I've used all of these.
I love P90X, with added lower body work. It's great for the upper body. Great for the core (abs and back).

Slim in six is beginner/intermediate. I also recommend Slim Series, though not to use as a rotation, doing only SS workouts, as they suggest. Firm it up is a good, high-rep, light-or-no-weight lower body workout. The other workouts are very similar, though.

I'm also annoyed by Billy's miscounting (which seems to be present in every single workout he's made! ) I got tired of doing 5 sets for one side of my body, and 2 for the other, so I haven't done much Tae Bo for a while.

I LOVE Powerstrike. Unfortunately, Millenium 3 is the only one on DVD, and it's not the most intense. I really like some of their earlier workouts, even though the filming was rather erratic at times (like somebody's little brother just got a new video camera for Christmas and is trying it out), and the pre-"Milleniums" are classes that were filmed, but the workouts are fabulous.

I like Janis Saffel's Hardcore Kickbox circuit and STrikezone. Some of her earlier CIA workouts have too much choregraphy vs. authentic kickboxing for my tastes. Though if her original "Kick It" comes out on DVD (some older CIA's are supposed to be converted soon), I would get it again for the last 30 minutes of kickboxing drills.

I went ahead and ordered the Powerstrike Millenium2 to see how I like it. Kickboxing is amazing for the hips and glutes, so I think this is a good fit.

Thanks everybody.
Shopgirl :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.