Low Max..Not for Wimps

CathydsRNA

Cathlete
My review:

:) = not challenging (not fun)

:) :) :) :) :) = moderately challenging, kind of fun

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) = most challenging, most fun

Intensity Level::) :) :) :) :) :) :)
This workout looks deceptively like a low intensity workout.Its low impact but not low intensity. I did the entire workout on an 8 inch step and I felt more winded than I do with either Step BLast or Rhythmic Step. Maybe its the extra riser or perhaps I am just used to the other step workouts. This workout definitely workks your body in a different way than Cathe's other Step workouts. I plan to use my HRM next time I do this workout to see if in fact my heart rate is going higher than with SB and RS. The intervals get your heart rate up too. There were two intervals that I felt were easy and 6 intervals that were tougher. You also get a lactic acid burn in your legs during several of the intervals because your leg muscles are kept in a contracted state without strecthing for significant periods of time.

Choreography complexity: :) :) :) :)
I previewed this workout once and was able to get all the moves down the first time I did it. It is less complex than RS and SB and slightly more complex than the choreography in IMAX workouts.

Fun factor: :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
I think this has a high fun factor. I especially liked Interval 7.The music is fun.

Cautions:
If your used to using a lower step, you may hit the box with your foot or stub your toe because your not used to the height. That happened to me once.

Sherry - love the doggy! My daughter says she wishes she had a puppy just like it. But...she's like Veruca Salt. She wants EVERYTHING!

Cathy,

I always do step workouts with an 8" step - so when Cathe said she was using an 8" step I initially thought that I may have to up my step to 10" - which I really didn't want to do - I don't want to hurt my knees - but let me tell you - this workout does not need to be upped in height!

I find this workout a great challenge - so hats off to any of you who upped from the 6" to the 8" - it is definitely more challenging than her other older step wokouts - I absolutely love it! I did it on Wednesdsay night thinking it would be a great warm up to the Gym Style Legs workout - well, once I got done with LOW MAX - I knew I wouldn't be able to do the leg workout after that - my legs were burning!

Now, on IMAX3 - I couldn't do the 8" step with quite few of the intervals - I had to lower it to 6" the seventh interval was hard for me on the lower step, too.

Cheryl

I tried Low Max today for the first time and I agree, it was much harder than it looked when I previewed it. I was very pleasantly surprised by this.

My knees don't like high impact as much as I do, so I should limit the high impact I do doing the course of a week, but even with an 8 inch step, my knees did not feel aggrevated plus I got completely winded at times.

I also thought the choreography was a lot of fun.

I think that Low Max is a work of genius and I hope that we can look forward to a whole series of Low Maxes in the future. :)

take care,
Maggie

I did Low Max today also! I was really happy with this workout and like others very surprised at the intensity! That Cathe knows how to do it for sure! Anyway, I thought this was lots of fun and look forward to doing it again soon! On a couple of familiar moves I found it hard not to do high impact just by default, but I didn't! :) :)

Jo

I did this Low Max for the first time this morning! I love it! It is so much more intense than it looks and I thought it was so much fun. I wore my heart rate monitor and my hr was reacting pretty much like in Imax I and II. It may have been low impact....but it was intense! Perfect!!

I also really thought the music went perfectly with the moves and motivated me that much more. I didn't realize how well the music went with it until I actually did the workout!!! (just previewing it did not do it justice!)

Anyway.....I just had to voice my excitement and experience doing this one!

Linda :7

I had to laugh at your topic---not for wimps. Are any Cathe videos for wimps???

I also found this workout to be harder than I expected. It was the first of the hardcore series that I did (I've since done Imax, KickMax & High step challenge) and I started with it thinking it would be the easiest! It was much more challenging than I expected & I also thought I may have to go to a 10" step but was glad I didn't!

Leslie

Hmm?? Am I the only one who DIDN'T like this workout? I tried it this morning and my opinion of this one totally differs from the rest here. This one reminded me more of a leg workout with a bits of cardio just thrown in. I was actually thinking to myself, " How much longer 'til it's over??" :(
I am especially pleased with the other workouts in this series that I have tried ( Imax3, Muscle Max, HSC) but Low Max was a disappointment for me. I guess I am just so used to high-impact and high intensity. IMO, this was NOT high intensity.
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. ;-)

>Hmm?? Am I the only one who DIDN'T like this workout? I tried
>it this morning and my opinion of this one totally differs
>from the rest here. This one reminded me more of a leg workout
>with a bits of cardio just thrown in. I was actually thinking
>to myself, " How much longer 'til it's over??" :(
>

No, you're not the only one. I totally agree. It really did seem like it went on forever... I thought it would never end! I just am not that crazy about doing that much leg work all at once. I'm more of a "quick heart rate, cardio workout with a little leg work thrown in" kinda gal myself... Oh well. I will pull this one out on the rare occasion when I want to work my legs til they feel like jelly... :p LOL!!!

I thought I would not like this one (but had to order the whole shebang) and I LOVED IT!! There are days when I'm not feeling good, bad headache or getting over a cold and tough cardio just won't cut it. This tape will be perfect. The cardio is isn't real tough, yet high on the fun factor, but the leg work is GREAT - IMHO.

Now I previewed KM last night and OUCHIE - I'm definitely breaking this down into sepearate workouts. That last part with the chair looks very painful - but I will do it, I will do it, I will do it.
(Just trying to talk myself into it;) )

Sam

I was going to post this very topic! Just finished Low Max and I can guarantee a great workout. It has all the intensity anyone would ever need and I know my legs with be yelling at me tomorrow! I love it!

I did this one this morning and did like it. But at the same time was thinking that a leg workout tomorrow is not going to happen! This is more of a leg workout. It did get my heartrate up, though, although not like HSC

I just did a little of Low Max and watched the whole thing - that seems to be my trend this week! :) Low Max is tough and I don't think its because I am just starting back on my workouts! I have terrible balance so leg presses are hard for me - oh well, something to work on. The choreography was not as simple as I thought it was but I picked it up! It was a lot of fun! Now to finish it...

:)

Lisa

This looks like such an awesome workout, and it will probably be one of my favorites in this series! I especially liked the "all step" premix that I've been learning, the last couple of days!
So much fun, and very creative choreography!

I would love it if Cathe came out with more Low Max workouts! There's definitely a market for them, as our bodies aren't what they used to be!

Pam

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.