Low Impact Challenge - Step, oy

Swimmer

Cathlete
I tried this one yesterday, for the first time, and to my dismay, I was having a hard time with the choreography. So much that I abandoned the workout and put in her other Low Impact Step workout (really like that one, even though it's "easy.")

Is this one of Cathe's workouts where she has taught most of the moves in earlier workouts? I was a pro was Cathe's choreography back in the day, but due to a muscle imbalance injury, I stopped doing her workouts around the time she released Crosstrain Express. I'm catching on well to the choreography in the DVDs that I'd done back in the day and some of the newer stuff.

The LIC-Step stymies me. There is no instruction and to be honest, I was a little put off by the choreography. Wasn't digging it, didn't feel like a Cathe step workout. I thought aliens had kidnapped my Cathe. :eek:

Will this one grow on me? Are there other workouts that I can purchase that will teach me some of the choreography? Or should I just gut it out, learn it in chunks or try to, despite my frustration?

Any and all suggestions are welcome and greatly appreciated.

I must admit, the Afterburn workout in the Low Impact series is becoming a favorite. When I first tried that one, I wasn't convinced I'd like it (thought I was going into cardio arrest a couple times, now, not so much so! ;) ). I still have to get the hang of using the disks, particularly since there isn't much of a "slide" factor on my carpet.

I could not do this one either. Too dancey without instruction. There is a premix on this DVD that is wonderful, though. I think it is Premix 5. It has the blasts and the bonus step. It is all athletic work, not dancey so there's no learning curve. It has good intensity. Try it!

I like low impact circuit and body max 2 and low max cardio n weights those might help u get to understand the moves better.

I could not click with lic from LIS either. Not sure y, i think the music wasnt enough to keep me trying to learn it. I felt to difficult but if music was more like xtrain i may have kept pushing thru.

Last edited:
It's not just you and your time away from Cathe workouts. Low Impact Challenge was difficult for me to learn and took me more than a dozen tries (I think the only Cathe step workout I've tried with more complex choreography is Step Moves). I doubt that any other workout will help you learn the choreography in Low Impact Challenge (it has unique moves and patterns). As Exercise-lover commented, two of the premixes ("step express #4" at 31 minutes and "step express #5" at 41 minutes) have straightforward athletic moves, without the complex choreography. I too like Afterburn a lot (I modify the few segments involving disks). Cardio Supersets and Atheletic Training are other good workouts in the Low Impact Series.

This is probably one of my favorite w/o. It did take a bit of time to learn this routine, I kept the remote in my hand and would rewind it until I got it. I did this w/o everyday for about a week and learned a new part each day.You could try tacking this on to the end of a w/o and just learn a small part everyday until you have mastered it. Once you learn the routine and see how simple it really is you will wonder why it seemed so hard. It is definitely a fun w/o and worth learning. I reach for this all the time, I love the bonus w/o at the end for a 22" add on when I want a little extra calorie burn.

Hello,

I recall in posts a few months ago that some, with carpet, lightly spray the disks with furniture polish for an improved/easier glide on carpet. I tried it and it made a wonderful difference!

Cyd

All of you are so nice, thank you. :) I have to admit that I was feeling like a dolt by not being able to catch on to the choreography. I'll try the premixes and see how those click. Thanks, Cyd, for the furniture polish tip. Maybe the scent of lemon pledge will give me an energy boost (at least the living room rug won't smell as much like golden retriever, haha!)

I hope Cathe doesn't do another one like this one (sorry psusoccer!). I did Step Heat for the first time in more than ten years this morning and was loving it! Felt like I was in my 30s again. Weird to see Cathe without her upper body muscles, too. ;-)

All of you are so nice, thank you. :) I have to admit that I was feeling like a dolt by not being able to catch on to the choreography. I'll try the premixes and see how those click. Thanks, Cyd, for the furniture polish tip. Maybe the scent of lemon pledge will give me an energy boost (at least the living room rug won't smell as much like golden retriever, haha!)

I hope Cathe doesn't do another one like this one (sorry psusoccer!). I did Step Heat for the first time in more than ten years this morning and was loving it! Felt like I was in my 30s again. Weird to see Cathe without her upper body muscles, too. ;-)

No problem, everyone has their preferences when it comes to working out. You should give the bonus a try, very straight forward, not complicated, quite a nice add on to another w/o.

No problem, everyone has their preferences when it comes to working out. You should give the bonus a try, very straight forward, not complicated, quite a nice add on to another w/o.

:) I previewed the 41minute premix (#4 or 5, can't recall) and it looked great. Tomorrow morning, I'm going to give it a go.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.