Looking for intense lower-impact step

cherimuse

I need some new Cathe, and I'm trying to decide between buying Step Blast or IMAX 2 and am wondering whether anyone can give me more details about the workouts. My favorite Cathe workout so far is Step Works. I only have her Cardio Hits (bought back when it was her only DVD workout) and Mega Step Blast, and I do not like the other two workouts on Cardio Hits (Powermax and Step Fit) because they are too high impact and hurt my feet. (I have a bunion on one foot.) I love power stepping when it involves powering *up* onto the step, but not when there is a lot of jumping on the floor (more impact on my foot). Can anyone tell me about the impact levels of Step Blast and IMAX 2, or perhaps suggest another workout that might be good for me? (I'm anxiously awaiting Low Max!)

Thanks!
Cheryl

If impact is a concern for you, then I don't think I-Max 2 would be appropriate for you. Many of the interval blasts are floor-based and have a great deal of impact, and even some of the step-based intervals (one of which involves power-squats with a turn off/on the step, and another of which involves fast-paced "straddle-taps" off/on the step).

Step Blast might be more your style, although there are three intervals that, again, are impacty. I'm sure you could improvise during these cycles.

Rhythmic Step is a faster-paced, complex-choreography workout that, while involving step-based impact, might be more appropriate for you.

If you're willing to expand beyond step (which I think you should), consider the Kick Punch Crunch kickbox routine; the impact forces are lower, and she includes a low-impact-high-intensity drill that I think you'd like.

HTH -

A-Jock

I agree 100% with all of A-Jock's comments. You might also want to check out the description of Low-Max, Cathe's new low impact/high intesity workout due out any day now.

Shelbygirl

Cadrio Hits and Classics V1 are really great workouts with little impact. Of course Low Max will be available very soon as well!

A-Jock,

Really? You would suggest kickboxing? (I'm surprised.) I've done some TaeBo and a Kathy Smith kickboxing workout, and both of them involved a lot of floor impact, with jump roping moves, running in place, and other jumping. Is Cathe's kickboxing workout different?

The only thing that really gets my heart going without a lot of impact, that I have found so far, is stepping, which is why I rarely "expand beyond step." I like running when the weather is warmer because that impacts on the heel of my foot, rather than the ball.

But I have trouble even finding step videos that are interesting and challenging (over a long period of time), at an advanced level, *and* don't hurt my foot. Cathe, of course, fits the interesting and challenging criteria, but her workouts do often hurt. Perhaps I'll try Rhymic Step or Step Blast while I'm waiting for the release of Low-Max.

Cheryl

I just ordered Low-Max (I see advance orders were shipped today! Yay!) and Ab Hits. I can't wait to get them! Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions.

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

I just read this thread today and I have to tell you...go and get that bunion removed! Why are you suffering needlessly? I had bunion's on the outside of both of my feet, mine actually were just plain extra bone, but I had them removed in my early twenties when I started experiencing constant pain. Basically all the surgeon does is grind off the extra bone so you have a normal foot like everyone else in the world. The first week of recovery was the worst, but I had both feet done at the same time so I would only have one surgery. I strongly suggest that instead of using crutches to get around, use a cane instead. I could easily walk on my heels so that took the pressure off of the incision's. But I was driving a car during my second week post-op and getting around pretty well, albeit slowly of course and I was back at college by the end of week 3 post-op trucking around campus all day. A cane affords you more speed than crutches and it is much easier to negotiate stairs with a cane than with crutches, just walk on your heels.

Don't be afraid of the surgery. Get that bunion removed and live a normal life!

Thanks for the advice. I am afraid of the surgery! I've been living with this bunion since I was a teenager, at least, so that means over 20 years! Mine is on the inside of my foot (probably on the outside, too). I went to the podiatrist for it several years ago and the procedure I would have to have done is more complicated than yours. The bones would have to be broken and put back together with steal pins, and I'd have to be awake during the procedure. Then I'd be down for two weeks, with more on crutches, with a total of six weeks until I'd be recovered. I've just never been able to stomach the thought of having my bones deliberately broken, while I was awake to see and hear it! So I continue to live with the pain because, although it's sometimes inconvenient, it isn't unbearable.

Cheryl

I modify a lot of Cathe high impact on the rebounder.

When she is jacking or tuck jumping or plyo jacking I just "jump" on the rebounder.

I do Imax2 this way and all of the hi/lo from MIC that way.

Jazz, that's what I'm finding, that I have to do some modification, if I want an advanced workout that isn't going to hurt my foot. (I'm pretty much not going to find that.) Even Low Max may be low impact on the knees and hips, but it's not low impact on the balls of the feet. (I didn't like Low Max, have only done it once since I bought it, and it seemed like even Cathe was struggling to remain interested in the workout as she was taping it.) I prefer to do a higher impact workout like Step Blast or Step Works and just change a few things.

Cheryl, I can sympathize!! Your bunion surgery does not sound like fun at all. But listen, look at it this way, the older you get the more it is going to bother you. My one grandmother has bunions on the inside of both her feet. She has to cut open her shoes to make room for them. Years ago when I had mine removed my mother was hoping that my surgery would prompt my grandmother to get hers taken care of. She never has done it, and now that she's a granny in her upper eighties her feet are the cause of her immobility.

At the least, go back to your foot doctor for another consult. Maybe this time you'll find the strength to go through with it. Think of it like childbirth, it will only hurt for awhile.:eek:

I know, easy for me to say because it's not my foot! Why do you have to be awake for the procedure. I was put completely out for mine and basically all they did was cut open the sides of my feet and get out the belt sander and start grinding away. I would think as involved as your surgery is they would gladly put you out. Course, mine was done 20 years ago...I know things have changed alot since then. I ran into one of my elderly neighbors today and she just had her eyes lifted because her upper lids were sagging down so much it was causing her eyes to be almost closed. Anyway, she said she was awake the whole time that they only gave her local anesthesia. That would not be fun either since it's your eyes they would be working on and you're awake for it!!

I would also recommend Rhythmic Step (fun, fun, fun) and possibly Low Max (I just love the all-step premix). I also would not recommend Imax 2 if impact is a concern. I mean, it's a great workout, but there's lots of impact, especially on the floor, as someone else already pointed out. Step Blast is a good intermediate impact workout, IMO, and it's loads of fun.

I was "awake" for my wisdom tooth extractions, too....but you know what? I was on some pretty happy gas, and I didn't even care. I could hear them cutting the tooth out and I could feel the pressure, and I could give the thumbs up to my oral surgeon when he asked if I was doing okay, and I was like, "heck, yeah! I'm happy, happy, happy!" So, you might be "awake" for the surgery, but you might not even care about it.

Also, surgery procedures progress very rapidly these days. Incredible advancements are made year to year. They might have a less invasive procedure in place to remove your bunyon and have you up and motoring around in no time. You might want to make another appointment with your podiatrist...and might I suggest you talk to a different one who has never seen you before, who might not be so inclined to stick with the original scenario you got several years ago.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.