I HATE STEP!!!

hiho322

Cathlete
There, I said it. I realize Cathe's known for her step workouts, but I didn't start with her DVD's until 2006, so I missed the bulk of that. I've been doing pretty much everything ever since, but even though I bought when it first came out, I didn't have the nerve to do Party Rockin' Step #2 until today. OMG!!! I was fine until Cathe turned around. Every single time. The fact that everything was filmed facing her (so that it's a mirror image) has sometimes been a problem for me, but whenever she's on a step, that problem is compounded. I get turned around and almost fall off the step. Over and over. I took jazz dance classes for years, and choreography is usually taught where you're behind the instructor, so you can follow the steps and know which foot to use. With this and similar workouts, I'm afraid I'm going to get hurt and it's so incredibly frustrating trying to follow and failing. I plan on trying this another couple of times, but if I still can't learn it, then it's going into the "fuggedaboutit" pile. I hate doing that with anything related to Cathe, but I just can't seem to get the hang of it. Anyone have some tips for me?

Maybe you could start with a beginner or intermediate workout. Cathe seems to use easier steps, routines and movement in those. It gives you an idea of her style and its taught add on style so you can get used to a move then move on to the next while repeating what was already done. Her cueing is perfect too!

That's how I started with Cathe so it wasn't so intimidating! It worked for me anyway. Cathe has one called "Basic step and body fusion", so you get some weights with the cardio fusion section. There is also a high step wkout that's beginner/intermediate as well. That one is circuit style so you do a little bit of step (on the high step with one riser), then upper body, lower body then core. You could probably use a regular step if you wanted to........just be careful. There are maybe 3 "high step" workouts but only one that's beginner/intermediate.

Go for it! You have the desire obviously, now you just need the right workout to get you started. I hope it works for you because Cathe has some amazing step wkouts that kick serious booty!:eek:

Tlc93, thank you so much! I have no problem with to the max, athletic training, tabatacize, or intensity, but a REAL, total step workout is such an extreme challenge for me. It really is the turning around 180 degrees in the choreography, and the mirror image thing that throws me. I'm going to take a look at the two you suggested. Good idea.

I find it takes me about 3 times through to start to get the hang of it. I also watch the workout a couple of times through before attempting it. I agree with trying the Basic Step and Body Fusion first. Cathe is very good about practicing the moves several times. Once you get the moves down, you wish there wasn't so much repetition! But it will get you used to her moves.

Step is so much fun. Don't give up on it or get frustrated. Just keep trying and you'll get it and have fun too. I also substitute moves sometimes when I totally mess up! That makes it fun too.

Susan :)

Don't give up! Getting down Cathe's step routines is really worth it because they are so much fun.

One of the things that really helps me with step routines is counting (usually to 8) with every move. You've already had dance training, so I'm sure you know all about that. But it really helped me to count out loud.

Pause the dvd & play it in slow motion to make sure you're on the right foot.

Hope this helps.

Tlc93, thank you so much! I have no problem with to the max, athletic training, tabatacize, or intensity, but a REAL, total step workout is such an extreme challenge for me. It really is the turning around 180 degrees in the choreography, and the mirror image thing that throws me. I'm going to take a look at the two you suggested. Good idea.

If the turns confuse you, don't turn. A lot of times you can just do a rock front and back. If you get the count down, you can just do a more simple more without the turns. I don't do all of her turns in all of Cathe's step workouts.

I like step and can do just about all of Cathe's routines. That being said Party Rockin Step 2 took me a good month to learn. I tacked on a piece after another workout and just learned one section at a time. I also had to review them all before I could put them together. Now I do it about once every two weeks and add on one from Party Rockin Step 1. I'm in no hurry...I think it's as good for your brain to learn new patterns as it is for your body. Try to enjoy yourself. Step is just another form of cardio and is dancy isn't for you, do what you like!

Beth

Baynergirl......
That was so funny! My head hurts from laughing so much! Absolutely hysterical! Thanks for that! You are right too......he's moving and having fun! That's the whole point right? I'm kind of thinking he should look a tad slimmer if he did those moves daily.

Still think us Cathletes would "step" all over that!!!! :cool:

Baynergirl......
That was so funny! My head hurts from laughing so much! Absolutely hysterical! Thanks for that! You are right too......he's moving and having fun! That's the whole point right? I'm kind of thinking he should look a tad slimmer if he did those moves daily.

Still think us Cathletes would "step" all over that!!!! :cool:

Every time I am watching this video, my stomach hurts from laughing:eek::p He sure had fun:eek:It's all about having fun! Glad you liked it!

You can also try going way back to Step Heat and Step Jam. They are more straight line choreo and will get you used to her style. They are either on the Classics DVD or the Greatest Hits Vol 1. Actually, both of those DVDs have very easy to follow step routines, with long breakdowns.

You just have to get past the late 80s/early 90s hair and outfits.

Nan

edit: Also, if you're afraid of tripping/falling, use just the platform or even just mat on the floor as placeholder until you get the footwork down.

I learned to "let it go" and make peace with it....

I can't do step. I can't do dancy. I have no sense of rhythm or body awareness that allows me to pivot and turn.

I've tried some (all?) of Cathe's Step workouts regularly over the past 10 years, and truly, I still cannot do some of them. Step Blast has never been a blast, even after 25-30 attempts. I can barely make it through the warm up without banging my head against the wall.
I can do the more linear, athletic step routines. So I stick with those. It used to frustrate me to no end that I could not get the hang of some of the more dance-style, choreographed routines.

Then I let it go. You know what? I can do some of the step DVDs as I mentioned and that is fine. I do not have to do everything. I can be happy and fit with all the other Cathe workouts and cycling. There are probably 6 DVDs that I do not use at all - out of, what, 120?

Yes, I am in a much better place mentally now that I've let go of the Step Routines I can't work my way through. I will try to learn anything and give myself plenty of attempts, but if I can't manage to sort it out after 12-15 sessions, then I will tuck that baby back on the DVD shelf and move on.

It's okay. Really. It's okay. Don't beat yourself up over it. Life is too short to be continually frustrated when you could be having a grand old sweaty workout that you enjoy.

Peace.

I'm with Bonnie.

I will do the following step workouts from Cathe because they are athletic and not heavily choreographed, minimum to no turnings and no gratuitous footwork of any kind!!!:

Step Moves
Step Works
Powermax (these first 3 are older but fab)

Step Blast
Rhythmic Step
Low Max (these 3 are more recent, feature longer combos, finished product sections at the end, and some have intervals to ratchet up that heart rate),

There are 3 more that I have yet to attempt, though I have previewed them: Intensity (not done, although previewed, because no-one on the screen seems to be having a good time, so I am not sure what the point is), one from the STS cardio series, can't remember the name, and then I will try out Party Rockin' Step 2, but only the main 6 combos and finished product. I have just viewed the "bonus combos" added in the premixes and they are chock full of what I call needless fancy footwork and gratuitous turning!!! Sorry, just my opinion. Feel free to love those things, I just have no patience for them at all.

I have seen clips from PRS #1 an watched Low Impact Step from the Low Impact series and will NEVER do them!!! They are not for me, and as Bonnie says, "I'm good with that."

Clare

Clare, Intensity is great. That is one of my top 3. It's not complicated like Step Blast, but it's all high impact and fun. It's not the usual combos that Cathe does, it's more mini combo with a lot of intensity. I do this one a couple time a month. If you don't want to do the step portion, the premix with both HiTTs and boot camp is great.

Kim

When I have mastered some of Cathe's more complex step workouts, I prefer those that don't require spins or fancy footwork. Mambo, cha chas are fun, but moves like step sweeps make me feel like I'm going to trip myself. I never do that move, I just walk across the step and do the sweep arms. Screw it. Ditto with the PRS1 combos that are in the 10 combo PM on PRS2---I don't do most of the turns. I have 51-yr-old inner ears, so I tend to get dizzy faster than back in 20s-early 40s.

I tried IMAX 3 once and got frustrated with it. Same with Body Max 2. While I'll probably give them another go eventually, I'm not motivated to do that now. IMAX 1---where the moves were simple---is still my IMAX favorite because I could put my all into the intervals. I still haven't tried PRS1 or Step Moves, and I do only premixes 4&5 on Low Impact Step Challenge.

I really enjoy Step Heat for its simplicity, and some of love the step segments in To The Max, Intensity. Also, the step portion of Low Impact Cardio Blast is relatively easy to master and FUN. Low Max took me several attempts, mostly due to the mambo where you go off the front of your step, which I still approach w/trepidation.

Last edited:
I'm slowly (very slowly) learning to like step. PRS#2 has great music, so that helps. I take everything very slowly - usually doing a routine over and over again on my rest day - I'm too hopeless to work up a sweat! One thing I must say, however, is that if you do manage to learn some of the dancey step moves they give your hips a real workout. I've really loosened up due to the mambos :eek:

I must say, though, that I too skip the turns - make me feel sick.:eek:

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you are not having success in step!

Although I do have a sense of rhythm, I did find myself struggling with some of cathe's steps. I am a IMAX lover...imax3 is my favourite:D

What would help, should you decide to give it another try:

• View the entire DVD and pay attention to transitions from one move to another.
  • Break down move into counting.
  • Modify turns if possible or excute turns by taking small steps.

Last but not least the mindset:)

Hope this help,:)

Don't give up! Getting down Cathe's step routines is really worth it because they are so much fun.

One of the things that really helps me with step routines is counting (usually to 8) with every move. You've already had dance training, so I'm sure you know all about that. But it really helped me to count out loud.

Pause the dvd & play it in slow motion to make sure you're on the right foot.

Hope this helps.

MelanieC, this helps a lot! Slo-mo, who woulda thought?

Thank you all, for caring enough to comment, encourage and give me pointers! As much as I dreaded Party Rockin' Step #2, I found that the following day, my thighs had gone down a little and I totally felt a burn - despite the fact that I hadn't been able to do a lot of the moves. So I'm thinking I need to figure it out, because at my age (late 50's), I'm not ready to give up yet! I will incorporate a lot of what y'all said and once I get it down, I'll post again. THANK YOU.

I'm always late to every Cathe party! I buy stuff at the discounted pre-sale prices, but it's always a while before I get round to actually trying new workouts. I like my ruts!

Anyway, I previewed Body Max 2 last night (released 3 or 4 years ago?) and all I can say is ... WOW! It's a return to the Cathe step of the past: f-a-b-u-l-o-u-s music, excellent moves all wonderfully matched to the music and pure athleticism for which the step is the prop. No dancing at all. And the second section of it, after the first all step section, is blasts and weighted moves for the butt and legs and it is all just perfect!

So, join me and let's learn this one and have fun together in this athletic step workout. I'm doing it either today (Tues) or tomorrow. Are you in?

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.